7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 5:17 PM by yabb85

Ubuntu - fglrx-15.30.1025 not recognizing device

lonny.selinger@gmail.com

I'm currently running Ubuntu 15.10 and decided I'd try the AMD prop driver for X on my laptop. The device is listed as a Radeon HD 7400G (00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Trinity [Radeon HD 7400G])

According to what I can find on the site the device and X version are all supported with this version. I tried to build it for the machine but the build fails and I don't see really why the build fails. Checking the log it says 'something' is missing but no real details. I've installed all prereq's I can think of but still had no luck.

Either way I decided to just try installing the pre-built once and when it runs the check, I see: ./amd_dcm64: No supported adapters detected

My adapter appears to be listed in the supported devices, does anyone know how this does the validation for the hardware?

• Re: Ubuntu - fglrx-15.30.1025 not recognizing device
          kingfish

You will have a much better chance getting expert advice by moving your post to the Linux forum > The specified item was not found.

damphell

I have the same problem with a Radeon HD 8730M card, supposedly it has compatibility with the new driver.

lonny.selinger@gmail.com

Not sure if any devs check these forums out but can anyone tell what vendor IDs they are looking for? I did an strace on amd_dcm64 and saw it poking in the pci devices so it's obviously looking for a specific group of IDs but I can't tell what it's master list or acceptable list is to compare mine against:

# grep radeon /proc/bus/pci/devices 
              0008    10029994        1e              e0000008                    3001                f0300000                       0                       0                       0
                             2                10000000                     100                   40000                       0                       0                       0       
                            0 radeon

natasha

lonny.selinger@gmail.com wrote:

Not sure if any devs check these forums out but can anyone tell what vendor IDs they are looking for? I did an strace on amd_dcm64 and saw it poking in the pci devices so it's obviously looking for a specific group of IDs but I can't tell what it's master list or acceptable list is to compare mine against:

# grep radeon /proc/bus/pci/devices 
                  0008    10029994        1e              e0000008                    3001                f0300000                       0                       0                       0
                                 2                10000000                     100                   40000                       0                       0                       0       
                                0 radeon

1002 is the AMD's vendor ID; 9994 corresponds to the chipset of this device. You can obtain it with lspci -nn -s 00:00:01.0 command or looking into /sys/bus/pci/devices/ and choosing the corresponding BusID (there is a file vendor there). However, your output is a little strange, since '0008' should correspond to the BusID, but it is some strange here...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  lonny.selinger@gmail.com

Ok so I've managed to circumvent the install process to allow it to work. I now have the driver installed and working. The caveat is I still don't know the devices they officially support (even though mine was listed, the sanity checks failed). Also as a result, amdconfig wont work however amdcccle does ;-)

What I did was by-passed the initial check by replacing the amd_dcm64 binary (in the temporary extraction directory) with a shell script that returned successful then continued with the install. I can put this as the solution but it's a cludge to get around the sanity checkes when in fact there should still be support for these devices. I'm jus not sure if any AMD devs go through this (other than to prevent people from circumventing their checks lol)

natasha

lonny.selinger@gmail.com wrote:

The caveat is I still don't know the devices they officially support (even though mine was listed, the sanity checks failed).

As I understand, the list of supported chipsets is in the fglrxko_pci_ids.h file (it should be in the folder like /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mode, or if you extract the driver content with --extract option, it will be in the ExtractDir/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mode/ folder).

Interesting way to install driver, but if it works, ok

yabb85

I have the same problem with a Radeon HD5750 card, supposedly it has compatibility with the new driver.