3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2015 1:43 AM by alexdibo

The legacy status for "old" Radeon and the black screen

alexdibo

Yesterday AMD released the brand new Crimson edition drivers: I was full of hope that after several months of the black screen issue in Windows 10, they finally managed to fix this annoying bug (and the several performance problems in games of the horrible 15.7.1 whql drivers).

This is the official discussion: AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 cause black screen before login screen Windows 10 .

Unfortunately, despite the issue has been reported at day-0 and AMD told clearly that it was a known issue, the problem is still present.

But what's the "real" problem? That for several graphic cards (HD 6000, HD 7000 and HD 8000 families), the support is dropped and no more drivers will be made available to users. The only two drivers for those VGAs are the terrible 15.7.1 and the Crimson "for poor people" beta version, that SEEMS to provide better game performance but still has the black screen issue.

I understand that you don't have to support "old" products lifetime, but at least FIX this black screen issue, it is very very annoying.

It really looks like that the AMD message is: "Who cares? Buy a new laptop with a newer AMD graphic card and stop complaining!!".

Maybe I'll buy another laptop, but for sure Nvidia powered.

What is the official position of AMD about this?

Thanks and sorry if my English is not perfect.

• Re: The legacy status for "old" Radeon and the black screen
          dineshrathod

tAt least they could have fixed this issue before dropping the support for legacy cards. Now I am forever stuck with Windows 8.1 or I can upgrade to Win 10 but I have to live with the black screen issue. I hope they release a fix (while still in beta).

• Re: The legacy status for "old" Radeon and the black screen
            mcp1

Yes, AMD has to deliver on its promises as bug 59792 was NOT solved for Sandy Bridge Switchable Graphics notebooks. The proposed workaround (EnableULPS = 0) is unacceptable as it makes the computer to run hotter even for the simplest tasks and takes significant juice from the battery. Dropping support before fixing such a critical bug just after the introduction of a new Windows version is not a reasonable move for an established company like AMD.

AMD should realize that those are not niche machines. They were sold by large firms (HP, Samsung, Sony...) in the mass-market not long ago and are still perfectly usable in most cases. Probably millions of users will face (or are already facing) this problem, as soon as they accept Microsoft's invitations to migrate to Windows 10 (without telling them the full story...).