31 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2016 10:35 AM by ray_m

Heavy Fps Drop with Crimson

marckus87

after installing crimson I noticed several drops fps in some of my games, especially in Assassin's Creed: Syndicate and Rocket League, it did not do anything to lower the details and remove all effects, the game drop 30-40 fps, and with the beta driver does not happen..

P.S. my pc config is Intel I5-6600k 3.5ghz - 16gb ram ddr4 - Sapphire Radeon R9 290 4gb

• Re: Heavy Fps Drop with Crimson
          sirderpsalot

I'm having the same issue. Witcher 3 runs just as well, a bit better even. Fallout 4 went from 50+fps to a max of 14, World of Warships can't even display the login screen at over 15 fps. I'm on a 295x2, all my settings carried over from CCC.

chickenarise88

Same thing here. I'm going from 60fps in the Witcher 3 to 40 max. Fps drop in MGS5 too. Woo...

snowblind

I'm having fps drops with this driver as well and then mine will black screen where I can still hear music but everything freezes.  I'm using a Fury X.  Had to roll back to previous beta driver which worked fine.

john007

Hello,

Same here, huge FPS drops in all games, mouse cursor bugging out even more on desktop opening windows. Using Afterburner I see that the core speed is always around 600mhz while benchmarking? AMD this is an ultimate fail, a complete joke. Whats the point in Crimson if half of the settings are shown using the old GUI? Even increased 50% power settings don't make any difference either.

Alien Isolation - Lag (only using 600mhz)

Skyrim - Lag (only using 600mhz)

Elder Scrolls Online - Lag (only using 600mhz), Mouse cursor bug.

Settlers 3 - Mouse cursor bug

Borderlands 2 - Lag (only using 600mhz)

Farcry3 - Lag (only using 600mhz),

Sonar - Mouse cursor bugs.

many more.

Basically paid 650GBP for a GPU, that's worse than a standard 7950. Shameful AMD. Did you even test out these drivers?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  kozlo

+1 =(

mrsheepmasterdy

I have the same problem with r9 295x2 s ,I used to play counter strike Go smoothly now I  have fps drops that even tough they are not that big they make the game like lag for that moment ,the image almost like compeltely stops feels like 1-2 fps even tough fps are over 250.

wolandex

Hello, I've close to the same and very annoying issue: with the new Crimson driver both in Fallout and Witcher III produce heavy fps drops (it seems that something frame cappin' mechanism limit to 30 fps at some point), cause heavy stuttering. (with or without v-sync..)

This driver release is the worst that I've ever seen ... :-/ I've tried several things (change settings on and off and so), but the end result is _much worst_ than with the previous beta driver, so I've rolled back also.

My config: FX8350 + 8GB + Sapphire R9 380 4GB.

(Only the GTA V can be playable with that crappy driver version on my rig, but this one also not better, just not so bad..)

Please fix this shame, or let me know how can I fix this. (I've tried both on windows 8.1 64bit and windows 10 also, but there's no difference  -> same sh*t..)

thanks,

.w

geonwar

I have same issue, Today I back to 15.11.1 beta.

john007

Hello,

Looks like AMD further reduced power consumption using the Crimson drivers. Some old games like the original Farcry plays 60fps but indeed looks like a slideshow. Best to revert back to previous drivers. Did you even listen to your customers AMD about the low power issues? The Fury X needs more voltage what on earth was you thinking?

cken23

The heavy drops are due to the Radeon Crimson downclocking the GPU so that way it saves more power which makes no sense, i could of easily done that my self. At first check ur gpu setting clocks they will be on low, i had to use msi afterburner to set them to default so it would run my games the way it suppose to run them.  second you have to make sure to use msi afterburner don't set the clocks on radeon crimson it will just go back to its downclock power saver. third you are done and make sure to save a profile on msi afterburner that way it saves and boots every time u start your pc, problem fixed!

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                wolandex

Hi all,

thank you for the tip!, I'll try it..

But hey, are we Ok with the fact that a driver cannot detect properly the required power ("clock") to run a game as smooth as the hardware can and we need another software to correct the epic driver bug ? .. Sorry to say that but it is a real shame that a driver cannot work properly with many of the cards and configurations..  I cannot accept it. plus there are people saying that we should uninstall any monitoring software like afterburner to solve this kind of issue.. so what? .. I do not believe that this monitoring tools are the issue, because I have the same problem without a monitoring tool, but hey, it's so confusing, there is no an overall solution. :-/

Just one more question: am I correct that you mention that "turn off" amd radeon crimson overdrive (to do not override the afterburner settings) and set the gpu clock with the msi afterburner ?

thank you!,

.g

cken23

here is what you do to fix this problem with AMD's BS, you cannot turn off radeon crimson overdrive.

Steps

1. check your default clocks for your GPU on radeon crimson drive Memory clock and core clock(Radeon crimson<System<Hardware-Name of you gpu-primary.

2.Go to msi afterburner

3.disable ULPS

4. go back to home screen of msi afterburner then finally! set your core clock and memory clock as you see on radeon crimson system

5. make sure to save a profile on your msi afterburner and it will be clocked at it is forever.

LET ME KNOW IF IT WORKS FOR YOU!

Thanks and im glad you asked.

wolandex

Hello!,

I tried it right now and this is also not working.. :-/ it seems that the crimson driver completely not care what settings have been made with the msi afterburner (disable ULPS), so it does not 'force' the card to work with the highest (default) core freq., but jumping from 300Mhz to about 900Mhz at certain points on the level of fallout 4 resulting an awful stuttering. Annoying, very annoying..

Is there any other idea?

thanks,

.g

mrsheepmasterdy

Return TO PREVIOUS DRIVERS as soons as POSSIBLE.They have confirmed it is limiting gpu fan speed to 20% causing it to overheat wich can lead to damaging it.They are releasing an hot fix tday

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      michi-a8

I've tried all the drivers and the only q amiss is the old AMD Catalyst Control Center 15.7.1 but sometimes tends to fail or make my Windows 10 crash, but is the only one who does not pull lag in games as I think Wows or Dirt3 and I resigned to solve this defect expect this new driver.

PS: I have a Radeon AMD A8-6410 with R5 230 and R7 260 linked

anastasopoulosnikolaos@yahoo.gr

i have a perfomance problem too.my card is R7 370 4gb and i was run the most games at high quality 60fps.since crimson and next i faced great perfomance issues .rainbow six runs from 59 fps to 30.fallout loss 20 fps at some places.its a disaster.i pay 250 euros for this card.

john007

Hello,

May I ask does the crimson 16.1 still reset the overclock settings in Afterburner?

wstr

Well it doesn't reset them for me. The weird thing is 16.1 is working fine for me now after second install, while on my first try 16.1 was broken as all Crimson drivers before it. But my install was different now:

1.I uninstalled Catalyst with it's own default uninstall software. No DDU this time.

2.I ran Crimson installer by right clicking the install icon and selecting Run as Administrator, even tho I AM an administrator.

3.After Crimson installed and PC restarted i ran Afterburner, set and applied my clocks, saved them in Profile Nr.1 and ticked "Apply clocks at startup".

4.This time around i didn't use Overdrive at all. I didnt even accept the "wall of text" when you first start Overdrive so no more Overdrive for me.

Afterburner is working great so i don't even need it anymore.

Funny thing is i did all these same steps, except two, with previous Crimson drivers (amongst 20 other things i've tried) and throttling was still present in games.

The two things i did different was step Nr.2 and Nr.4. I am an Administrator on my PC so in previous installs i ran Crimson installer by simply double clicking the icon, naturally. I don't believe right-click + "Run as Administrator" fixed my throttling. It would be pretty weird if it did. My bet is on Afterburner and me not using Overdrive at all. 

All in all i'm pretty happy it FINALLY worked out for me and Crimson is working as it should from the day 1!!!

wstr

Well, hate to say it but i was wrong. Fps drops are still there with Crimson 16.1. What really mostly fixed these fps drops when looking into nothingness in Fallout 4 was a ReShade graphics modification. I just figured this out today after finishing Fallout and playing/trying some other games.

Battlefield 4, Homeworld - Deserts of Kharak, Homeworld 1 and 2 Remastered and Dragons Dogma: all these games have weird fps drops, mostly when there's not much going on on screen, while with Catalyst 15.11.1 they don't happen (just reinstalled Catalyst AGAIN to test it).

I'm really dissapointed. R9 390 is just a refurbished R9 290 but it's still a newly released GPU so proper support for it would be great.

These Crimson drivers are gimping my 390 so bad it hurts while the "old" Catalyst still work ok. How is this possible?

AMD, can't you at least release another Catalyst with updated performance profiles for us unlucky "few" (not so few judging by other forums)?

chickenarise88

There is a temporary solution to the downclocking issue. ClockBlocker Download Version 1.2.5

Apparently Crimson drivers downclock the Fury cards. The ClockBlocker program prevents this from happening in whatever applications you specify.

contact@damine.me

i have this : Lenovo G510 Laptop | Entry-Level Laptop | Lenovo US
                                                  what should i do please to fix my fps in csgo ?
                                                  email me a method please to contact@damine.me
                                                  thanks anyways