2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2015 8:55 AM by sobosam

Driver Crash Windows 10

sobosam

I've been having problems since I upgraded to Windows 10, 64 bit.  Grapics card is the AMD Radeon HD6570, which worked flawlessly in Windows XP, 7 and several Linux varieties.  Since went to Windows 10 have noticed a number of screen freeze ups, or will get sparks appearing across the top of the screen.  Eventually once that happens a short time later I get a message pop up on the screen saying the Video Driver has stopped working, but successfully restarted.  Have downloaded and installed all the latest drivers from the AMD Website, do search for drivers says most up-to-date driver is installed, but it's still crashing on a regular basis. 

Any suggestions of what to check and/or try next short of replacing the graphics card, that's impossible for me to do at this time.  If I can't get it to work correctly my only alternative at this time is to reinstall Windows 7 and say forget 10. 

• Re: Driver Crash Windows 10
          sobosam

The last few nights I've seen posts on other forums around online of people having the same problem, but with different models of Graphics Cars, but all were AMD based cards.  Everyone seems to be pointing their finger at the drivers being the problem.  I decided earlier I've been waiting long enough for help to get this figured out, as I've noticed more and more that when I run programs that are graphic intensive, or videos it happens a lot more frequently, and while the graphics are running they are very choppy.  I decided I was going to go back to Windows 7 and simply give up on Windows 10 as that's when all the issues started.  However, I haven't been successful going back to 7.  I tried, but the first time it said it had to check online for installation updates.  The computer sat here for 1 1/2 hours with it's little cursor going around and around and nothing happened.  I stopped it and a pop-up menu appeared saying that the Windows installer was non-responsive.  I tried a few other ways to re-install 7 and again no luck.  I rebooted the computer and started running into problems right after it rebooted, so I brought up the task manager and was just looking through there to see what was running in the background.

The first thing I noticed is a software program for a Logitech Web cam I had connected to this computer for testing purposes only, then moved it to another computer I have where it was going to be used.  I shut that program down in the Task Manager.  Looking through the rest of the tasks I found another webcam program running, again for testing purposes, and shut that down as well.

Almost immediately I noticed a huge difference in how smooth the computer was running like that, vs how it was running when those two programs were running in the background. So I decided to try playing the Facebook Gin Rummy Game, which has run painstakingly SLOW since I started having the problems.

Gin Rummy is now running smoother and faster than it every has, and it's been 55 minutes since I shut those two programs down and not a single flicker of the screen which it had been doing every few minutes, and not a single window popping up saying the driver has stopped working but restarted itself.  It appears those two programs may have been what caused it.

I'll run it for a few days like this, then reboot and restart those two programs and see if the problems start back up again, and I'll post the names of the programs that were causing the problem if that's what the issue was.  Right now I just want to see if it restarts with the programs off.

• Re: Driver Crash Windows 10
              sobosam

It appears, at least in my case it was the Logitech Webcam Software that was causing the problem.  After running the computer for a few hours after shutting down the Logitech software manually, I disabled the software from starting during Start Up, rebooted the computer, and have been running it for the last 2 hours plus.  Not a single issue with my monitor, no pop ups claiming the driver has stopped running and has restarted, have participated in the Facebook Game Gin Rummy and Spades Plus, both which were having problems, and now not a single problem.  I'm going to consider the issue solved in my case at least.  I'm trying to remember if I installed Windows 10 first or the Logitech software, I believe it was Windows 10 first.  Funny the issues have only recently shown up, and weren't apparent right away.  Maybe a more recent update to Win 10 or Logitech?  No matter, I don't need the software on this computer so will just leave it disabled and maybe simply remove it in the near future.