44 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2017 7:49 PM by ray_m

AMD Fury X with The Settlers 3

john007

Hello,

Has anyone out there got an AMD Fury X with an old skool game that is The Settlers 3? Either the CD version or the GOG.com version, there seems to be a glitch with the mouse? Hopefully someone could replicate this issue as Ive already contacted AMD and no answer.

Here's what happens ingame. In the resolution of 1024x768 which is the highest S3 can go this is where the bug occurs. If you select any soldier unit the mouse cursor should change from an arrow to a sword icon indicating you have selected a military unit. This doesn't happen, if you scroll the map with your mouse the cursor changes to a sword icon and then gets stuck on the icon, basically doesn't revert back to an arrow. If you load up the game in 800x600 or 640x480 the issue doesn't occur? How very weird this bug is?

Issue didn't occur with the AMD 7950

Specs.

AMD 8350 @ 4.9ghz

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

Asus Sabertooth 990fx

AMD Fury X (Driver 15.7.1)

Ballisitx RAM 16ghz @ 1900mhz

Samsung 840 1TB SSD

WD 4TB Black Edition

No errors or warnings in the event viewer completely clean. All other games and software work perfect no problems.

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon.

John.

• Re: AMD Fury X with The Settlers 3
          john007

Update,

I've figured out the problem, from searching threads from July the Fury X had issues with the mouse cursor. One forum user stated that enabling mouse pointer trails temporarily fixes the issue? So enabling the option in the mouse settings I then loaded up Settlers 3 and the issue was fixed, but the trails leave horrible sprite errors when ingame which was expected. Any ideas on what this issue could be tied too? This could infact effect other games and software.

Thankyou.

ray_m

The AMD Issue Reporting Form is an avenue for you to submit feedback to AMD, it is not an method of one on one troubleshooting, so you should not expect a response to your submission - and this is mentioned on the form itself.

That being said, I do not think that devoting engineering resources to a investigate issues with a game released in 1998 is prudent.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                hmscelestia

Is Settlers 3 a DirectX or OpenGL title?

If not, it could be using a software renderer, which is likely the source of the weird interactions.

I suggest looking online for mods that port the game's drawcalls over to DX9 or OpenGL. I know there is a mod like that for the original Fallout titles.

Looking at screenshots of the game, it looks like it likely uses some archaic software render, so you may be SOL.

john007

Hello,

The Settlers 3 uses DirectPlay and Direct x 7. You might be thinking, why is this user posting about such an old game with such a new GPU? May I add that The Settlers 3 is an old gem, an uncapped population strategy capable of each player producing 10,000 plus soldier units in multiplayer, its a brilliant game.

Uninstalled drivers, Ccleaner and Autoruns to manually delete all AMD related reg entries. Then proceeded to replaced the GPU with a 7950. (All I have spare at the moment) All is good with the 7950, not seen the mouse cursor bug out at any stage either on games, desktop or any applications.

I remember when the 7950 was released on Sonar the mouse cursor would bug out constantly until the new drivers for AMD were released which fixed the problem.

So replaced the GPU with the FuryX, did all the correct procedures to install new drivers. Problems with the mouse cursor flickering on the desktop, DAW software such as Sonar has weird mouse cursor bugs, and the only game which has any issues at all is The Settlers 3 mouse cursor.

So I thought the only issue I can replicate is the Settlers 3, even posted about the troubleshoot for the 'mouse trails' option. A software engineer has stated that it could be a fault with the return call function for the mouse drivers in DirectX conflicting with the new FuryX drivers?

I just hope that the good people at AMD could test out this theory with a test unit running the FuryX with The Settlers 3, as my view is its not the game that's the problem, its the conflict with the DirectX mouse functions, and the answer to this problem may be actually troubleshooting this issue.

john007

Hello,

Can you explain in more detail about porting games to DX9 or OpenGl as I cannot find much information on this subject and I've never heard of such a mod? Thankyou ever so much for your time and hope to speak soon you may have to answer.

john007

Hello,

This is an AMD forum to report issues am I not correct? And to post feedback on your latest GPU drivers. By doing so I'm not entitled to post a bug regarding a 660GBP graphics card? So happens that from 1998 I've always used AMD products and until now have never had such problems.

The mouse cursor does indeed bug out on other programs such as DAW software, this is a problem primarily with the Fury X drivers and needs to be addressed.

'Not for troubleshooting?' this is a public forum for posting issues, fixes and troubleshoots I tried to contact AMD directly and no reply. I'm not pleased in the level of service from AMD regarding their topline product.

backFireX64

You are correct and i agree with you.

The fact that you are also polite, a virtue that is often absent on the internet, makes me want to give you 1.

I also agree with ray_m though.

It is a rather old game, and as such, issues with this are quite difficult to be addressed on a driver level. Mainly because of compatibility conscerns.

You can try running the game in compatibilty mode.

What mouse and software are you currently using ? Have you tried another mouse ? Are you running the game as administrator ?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            john007

Hello backfirex64, thanks for the reply.

Yes indeed tried all compatibility modes, admin mode, I used another mouse and keyboard. Installed other mouse drivers. Seems to be tied with the FuryX drivers as replacing the GPU with a 7950 has no such problems, it seems to be the mouse cursor only with games and applications.

Thanks for your time and hope to speak soon.

ray_m

You did not understand my response.

You were referring to your submissions to the AMD Issue Reporting Form, and I informed you that that was a method to collect information from users, not a method of troubleshooting an issue. I was NOT referring to this forum.

In fact, it says so clearly on the form.

I will also reiterate that the odds of devoting any engineering resources to a game released in 1998 are slim to none.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
                                john007

Hello Ray, and thankyou for the reply.

I apologize for the mistake I honestly thought you could post troubleshoots to AMD directly. I hope I could take 'slim chance' quote as a glimpses of hope that the good guys at AMD could at least test out this theory regarding an ongoing issue with the FuryX mouse cursor bugs, as the answer to the problem may be troubleshooting this old game. Im not an expert but a software engineer stated that it could be a conflict with mouse return calls with DirectX and the Fury X drivers?

Thankyou for your time and hope to speak soon Ray. No matter the weather I will always be AMD, I hope we can work out this issue together through the community and the AMD Devs.

Thankyou.

john007

Hello,

I would like to add that The Settlers 3 has recently being updated to work on Windows 10.

As GOG.com has stated this is infact a remake and should be titled as new.  Regardless of when Settlers was released the update works on all new operating systems. Any suggestions AMD? Could you at least test out this theory and reply the issue please.?

tomtalk24

Hi, as requested.

I'm trying to figure what's going on. It would seem you might be looking for a answer for a problem that shouldn't exist.

If I have this correct, the problem is the number of units in the (uncapped) game is causing it to slowdown. And now you have a Fury you was expecting it to do what? Or is it just the mouse flickering?

john007

Hello,

Bump to preserve sanity.

Thankyou for your time any troubleshoot process is welcomed. I may add that even using special Directplay wrappers or Directdraw wrappers produce the same effect?

dgVoodoo2_45

DXGL

dxwrapper

DirectDraw-Compatibility-Changer-master

DirectDraw_Compatibility_Tool_1.01

dxwnd v2_03_48_build.fix3

The game supports two mouse pointer types: A GDI-Based one ("Monochrome Pointer") and a ddraw overlay based one("Colored Pointer"). I have always used the default settings (which is monochrome mousepointer), but

changing these settings doesn't help. No matter what is selected, the setting always reverts back to the monochrome cursor. So I cannot test out the ddraw version to troubleshoot. Thanks again.

http://community.amd.com/

john007

Update,

I installed the AMD 7950 into a reformatted Windows 7 test bench with the following Omega 14.12 drivers. Installed The Settlers 3 and installed a few other standard games, tested out the unit and software for any issues. All was well.

So I then proceed to update the 7950 with the following 15.7 drivers and test out the applications for any issues, all is well.

So I then thought maybe leave the 15.7 drivers on the unit and replace the 7950 with the Fury X and see if the old drivers will actually work with the new GPU? Seeing as the original Fury X driver was 15.7.1 I assumed it may work. Well it did indeed work, I tested the GPU with a few standard DX9 DX10 and DX11 games, all is well. Now I honestly thought that with the drivers working ok at this moment that Settlers would work as well. Seems that even with the old 15.7 driver the same issue occurs with the Fury X only? How can this be possible? 

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                                      john007

Hello, update here

Further troubleshooting on this application and found something quite interesting.

If you active a standard Eyefinity setup between either two monitors or a standard 1080 LCD TV and a monitor either way the desktop splits in half as standard. When launching The Settlers III on a duel monitor Eyefinity setup the game it doesn't split the screen but indeed duplicates the game onto both displays.

The troubleshooting process I use is to launch the game, on the main menu select the tutorial tab and proceed to select a single soldier unit to see if the mouse cursor correctly displays the military cursor. With the game replicated onto both displays I can confirm that it works. Yes the mouse cursor indeed works correctly only if you setup an duel Eyefinity profile with both monitors displaying the game. This is confirmed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Something has changed from 15.x.x that has caused mouse cursor issues across many applications.

Thankyou for your time.

ray_m

What is the reason for the bump ?

john007

Maybe a dedicated AMD forum user may see this and may have an answer? Since AMD support offer nothing but poor troubleshooting statements. Infact they lied to me stating this issue was now at support level 2.  I was given a phone call reference number. Great I thought AMD is finally taking note. I couldn't have been more deceived by AMD emailing me a few days later stating the same old statement.

So that's the reason why, I shouldn't have to post this, its quite obvious why I have bumped this thread. No help from the forum admins, no help from AMD support, no help from contacting AMD by phone.

ray_m

Unfortunately the age of this game - it dates to 1998 (and I am aware that this has been re-released by GOG - it is dated the year 2000 on the GOG page and only lists XP, Vista, 7 & 8 as supported operating systems - Settlers® 3: Ultimate Collection on GOG.com  ) means it gets bumped to the bottom of the queue when it comes to allocating engineering resources.

john007

Hello Ray.

So taking your theory of listing games by release date for troubleshooting, ok.

Lets take for example ''Age Of The Empires II HD Edition'' on Steam. The original game was released on September 30, 1999.

So. This game has been updated to work with modern operating systems and higher resolutions.

So if Age Of The Empire II HD Edition had AMD bugs this would be your solution? Place this game at the bottom the list?

While AMD try and fix NVidia optimized games like fallout and tomb raider? You ever think about NVidia manipulating these games so that AMD bugs out on purpose.? Actually delaying your progress of driver updates?

Unacceptable with all due respect.

The Settlers III Remake is not some degenerate shoot and kill and rinse and repeat game. Its a strategy which means actually using your brain cells.

For 15 years I have used AMD GPU's and never had such problems so why now?

tomtalk24

Do you still have your HD7xxx GPU? Do you think it would be worth putting that into a second PCIe socket, connect that GPU to HDMI2 input or whatever you have. Then ask the game to render on GPU2 and not the Fury? Switch source, play game. Not ideal but as with any unique problem, workarounds need to be made. At least until AMD get the time to work on the issue? Looks like it wont be any time soon.

On the bright side you will be able to play Settlers and then use your Fury for 3D render, everyone will be a winner one way or another.

Are there no remakes/clones you can try, a Linux port at all (tbh I don’t get why it isn’t open source by now)? Can Ubisoft (I think thats who owns the rights) not offer any support, they seem to be selling an incompatible game otherwise?

I may have suggested it in the past, but could you not use an older machine to play your older games? I guess "retro" would be a more attractive term.

kingfish

Run the Compatibility Mode for XP/Vista/7 ? Since it's a older game..enable 'surface format optimizations' ?

john007

Hello Kingfish thanks for the reply.

Indeed already tried that theory I'm afraid it makes no difference.

The CD version indeed you need to set it to XP mode.

The GOG.com version is updated for windows 10. You don't need to set up any compatibility modes but yes I have tried every one just to rule out.

Its something to do with AMD Eyefinity because if you render the application through two monitors the mouse cursor is fixed.

Yes you need to play the game on two screens?

john007

Hello and thankyou for the reply.

You will be surprised if I say that Settlers III will lag out the 7950 at 1150mhz when computing 10,000 troops.

The FuryX can render 12,000 plus soldiers and 20,000 settler workers each side 60fps. (still counting)

One of the main reason for the FuryX upgrade was to play old games at much better performance.

Further troubleshooting on this application and found something quite interesting.

If you active a standard Eyefinity setup between either two monitors or a standard 1080 LCD TV and a monitor either way the desktop splits in half as standard. When launching The Settlers III on a duel monitor Eyefinity setup the game it doesn't split the screen but indeed duplicates the game onto both displays.

The troubleshooting process I use is to launch the game, on the main menu select the tutorial tab and proceed to select a single soldier unit to see if the mouse cursor correctly displays the military cursor. With the game replicated onto both displays I can confirm that it works. Yes the mouse cursor indeed works correctly only if you setup an duel Eyefinity profile with both monitors displaying the game. This is confirmed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Something has changed from 15.x.x that has caused mouse cursor issues across many applications.

Thankyou for your time.

john007

Bump.

May I ask is it possible to create a duel monitor Eyefinity setup but just render the game on one screen?

kingfish

I don't have a clue...

john007

Its ok Kingfish thankyou for your time.

If Ray has recommended you on this question you must be quite knowledgeable with AMD so may I ask do you have any other theory/workaround for this application?

Thanks Kingfish.

ray_m

I mentioned Kingfish only because that was the last post you made, and it referenced him.

john007

Ok Ray.

Should I submit a bug report to AMD or could you ask the driver team about the Eyefinity duplication please?

Have to give me some credit Ray I did indeed find a workaround for this application.

ray_m

I'm not entirely sure what you want me to ask, but if you can provide a clear, step by step description of the Eyefinity issue, I can forward it to the right people.

john007

Sorry for the late reply.

Ok that's brilliant let me get more information on this issue and I'll report back asap.

Thanks Ray.

john007

Hello Ray.

Bug report on the Eyefinity profiles.

1. Setup a standard Eyefinity profile with either two or three displays. ( Monitor, TV, Freesync, any display) With HDMI/DP or a mixed combination.

2. The Eyefinity profile resolution and arrange options doesn't matter either as long as the Eyefinity is active.

3. Load up any 3d application and for testing purposes set the application to 1024x768.  You will notice the application being duplicated across all displays. Tests here show any resolution which is not an Eyefinity resolution will result in the same. (Duplicated)

4. This is wasting unnecessary resources especially when the GPU corporations are implementing power saving modes. Basically there should be an option to set a particular display to render any application which is not running on a Eyefinity profile resolution.   

Thankyou for your time Ray if you could forward this bug report to the driver team hopefully we may have this option in the future.

ray_m

What you are looking for is called the "Preferred Display" feature.

This feature 'is being examined and may' be available in a later driver release.

john007

Hello Ray and thankyou for the reply.

I do recall seeing that option on the CCC 15.7.1 but unfortunately the particular option didn't make a difference in this case.

It would be much more professional if this feature was implemented in the future. The Eyefinity is quite a good feature but unfortunately this duplication bug at the moment renders it impractical.

Thankyou for your time Ray and lets hope this can be fixed apparently from looking at old forums this has been a problem for quite some time.    

jenxp

02.08.2017. A few years have passed, but nothing has changed, this bug continues to upset us. When I play Dota 2 on my R9 270, I every game have this problem with LATEST amd driver. AMD what are doing??? nothing?