7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2015 9:56 AM by staticfx

My 1st Build

yung_sb

This is the gaming PC I'm going to build Corsair Graphite 760T PC Computer Case - YouTube

CPUIntel Core i7-4790K Haswell 4.0GHz UNLOCKED Quad-Core BX80646I74790K or Intel Core i5-6600 Skylake Processor 3.3GHz 8.0GT/s 6MB LGA 1151 CPU
      Cooler

CORSAIR Hydro Series H110 Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU

Cooler. 280mm

Motherboard

Asus Z170-A Desktop Motherboard - Intel Z170 Chipset - Socket H4

LGA-1151 - ATX

Memory

CORSAIR Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

Desktop Memory

Disc Drive 13000GB) 3TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Desktop Hard Drive
      Disc Drive 2

Intel 730 Series 480GB 2.5-Inch Internal Solid State Drive

SSDSC2BP480G4R5

PSUCooler Master RSA00-AFBAG1-US 1000w V Series Power Supply
      CaseCorsair Graphite Series 760T CC-9011074-WW White Full Tower Windowed Case
      MonitorI'll be using a Black 300" 5200Lux Full HD Business Digital Advertising Education 3D Projector
        • Re: My 1st Build
          1337cammy

Too hard overkill for a "first build".

Furthermore you don't have any graphics card mentioned yet, 3 TB HDD is more for Video working since one cannot even get 1TB HDDs full, (at least I cannot and I have more than 100 steam titles with AAA titles).

SSD really needed? Just faster booting and reading to get slightly faster buffering. Think about this if you rly want to pay ~200-300bucks just for this as a "first build"-PC.

PSU way too overkill.

1000Watts for what? Are you going to SLI/Crossfire? As your first PC? I don't think so.

Why XXL Watercool a 80Watts TDP CPU? You are not going to overclock with your first build with a 400-500bucks CPU anyway.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              staticfx

Just gaming? you should go with the i5, no liquid cooler (yet.. just use stock for now.. overclock down the road), 8GB ram, 1TB HDD, 650-750w PSU and put that money into the best GPU you can get

yung_sb

No, it's going to be used for more the gaming so that's why I'd just prefer to buy extra memory upfront than to wait later on down the line and you brought it to my attention that I forgot to put up the GTX 980, and I thought the PSU was over the necessary requirements too, so thanks for the advice, but with the cooler that's based off the climate that my house has.

staticfx

ok, for videos then yes, go with the i7.  As far as the cooler, you still dont need a closed loop unless you will be overclocking it. The stock works just fine. Even if your house is hot... a cooler can only get the cpu as cool as the room temp (which, lets face it, will never happen!) - you can get it (because they look cool too) but its not needed.

980? I would highly consider the Fury over the 980. it will perform better (new drivers have it running head to head with the 980ti) and it should be around the same price as the 980... and yes.. the psu is more than needed. It wont hurt at all though if you want to keep it in case your xfire/sli down the road. Its not going to be using 1000w.. just what the pc is needing (maybe 600 max? and even then thats when its running full steam ahead)

ebonclaw

If you're going to choose between an i7 and an i5, take the i5 unless you do a ton of streaming.  From a gaming perspective, the i5 will perform identically.  You don't need to liquid cool it unless you're just aiming an unnecessary complexity....not that they're that much harder than a normal air cooler, but with air you don't have to worry about eventual pump failure. 

1000w PSU is way too much unless you're going to crossfire/sli multiple, high end video cards.  A 650w of a good brand is the way to go here typically.

Unless you REALLY need 3TB of storage, drop this down to 1, or maybe 2 if you really want a ton of storage.  Take the $$ you save and buy a solid state drive to load the OS onto.

Lastly, unless you're desperate for an upgrade, I'd just wait for Zen to come out.  It looks like it's shaping up to flatten everything out there.  The additional $$ you save while you wait for Zen will buy you a better GPU.