3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2015 7:06 AM by bluenation3838

r9 280x - does NOT work with any game, need assistance

bluenation3838

hi, i  have the MSI r9 280x, my specs are:

• GPU: MSI r9 280x, single card
      • CPU Intel Core i3-4130
      • MOBO Gigabyte H87-D3H, ATX
      • 2 x RAM Team Elite 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
      • SSD Seagate 600 Series 480GB
      • PSU Corsair CX600M
      • Monitor ViewSonic VX2270SMH-LED 22-Inch IPS
      • OS upgraded to Win10 64 bit, from Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit - OEM

i initially had the latest stable driver, 15.7.1, every game except Mini Ninja (for some reason) crashed in the menu screens, or went into loop within seconds of actual gameplay.  Mini Ninja ran fine at 60 fps no prob.

i uninstalled Raptr and that Gaming Evolved thingy.  No luck.

i installed and uninstalled the entire AMD software.  No luck.

I checked and rechecked connectors.  All fine.

Someone suggested I try the beta driver 15.11.  No luck..

(btw, after all my efforts, Mini Ninja also no longer works, and instead crashes in the menu screen.....)

i've run out of options.  SO close to giving up and getting a new Nvidia or something. Any thoughts?

• Re: r9 280x - does NOT work with any game, need assistance
          john007

Hello,

Maybe try uninstalling CCC, use Ccleaner and Autoruns to delete AMD reg entries. Try install again, hope this helps.

• Re: r9 280x - does NOT work with any game, need assistance
            amdmatt

From what you have described it sounds as if you could have a corrupt file on your system, or perhaps sone failing hardware. If you computer is in anyway overclocked, please put it back to stock. I would also recommend checking your system memory using Memtest to see if any errors are received.

Another cause of the problem could be the upgrade of Windows 10, perhaps you will need to consider a fresh installation to remove older Windows files from your old installation which could be causing these issues.

I will walk you through a fresh installation which will hopefully resolve the issue. If it does not, i would recommend the steps i mentioned above.

Please uninstall all AMD Drivers, including chipset drivers using the following guide. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

After all AMD drivers are uninstalled from your system, please scan and repair your Windows install for any errors or corrupt files, which could be causing issues.

To do this on Windows 10, simply follow the guide in the link.

Once that scan is complete, please head to Windows Update and ensure you’re checking for and installing all available updates, including non-critical and recommended updates. You may have to restart your computer several times and check for new updates upon reboot of your computer before it’s fully up to date. It’s crucial to have all the available Microsoft Net Framework packages and service packs installed to use the Catalyst Control Center. Once Windows confirms there are no more updates available, you can move on to the next part below.

As soon as you’ve completed the scan for any corrupt files and you’ve fully updated your Operating system and restarted your pc, the next phase is to download The AMD Cleanup Utility. Please follow the instructions to download and run the Clean Up Utility at the following link. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMD-Clean-Uninstall-Utility.aspx

The next step is to download and install the display drivers for your graphics card.

Step 1> Go to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Step 2> Scroll down to manually select your driver

Step 3> Select Desktop Graphics

Step 4> Select Your Graphics Card Family from the list

Step 5> Select Your Specific Graphics Card

Step 6> Select your Operating System

Step 7> Click Display results

Please install our Graphics Drivers following this guide.

Has that resolved the problem?

Was my post helpful? If so, please make sure to mark it as correct/helpful where applicable.