10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2016 1:06 PM by radguy88

Liquid cooling a GPU? any suggestions?

triggerftu

I've received an R9 390X Strix in the mail a few days ago, and i had realized that 3 fan blades are broken off. (now that you understand what i'm dealing with) i'm looking into replaced the default cooling it came with with liquid cooling to keep it from reaching anything over 93*C on load. The only really good alternative i can currently think of is Liquid cooling. now my question what 3rd party or method would be best suggested for liquid cooling this Beast of a video card?

note: i've been thinking of getting an adapter for a Corsair AiO liquid cooler, anything other that can keep the heat down and the FPS up would be great.

• Re: Liquid cooling a GPU? any suggestions?
          zealotki11er

No, Just replace the fans. Too much trouble getting a AIO for your card. You are going to cool the VRMs with something always and Also the memory.

t77chevy

I personally haven't checked on waterblocks for the new series out , but a full coverage waterblock is always best assuming its available. the aio will ofcource work well but like already mentioned don't forget to properly cool the vrms /  vram on the gpus  .

several friends are running the 390/x and don't have any issues with thermal throttling with the gpus , but then again I'm a loop guy myself .

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              ebonclaw

Both these replies are correct.  If it were me, I'd just replace the fan, but if you're wanting to water cool it, a full coverage waterblock is the best way to go, if available, so you can also cool the VRMs.  If a full coverage block isn't available, you could still watercool it, but you'd also want to point a fan at it to keep the VRM temps down, and at that point, you could've just replaced the fan on the card.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                triggerftu

well my issues is it's hard to get the fans. just called ASUS about it and they stated that they are not able to sell me the fans. idk i'm thinking on getting a new cooler still. that or get a backup video card to play and work.

radguy88

Did you try returning it to the seller who sold it to you? If that's not an option anymore, try to get warranty. And if that's not an option, look on eBay for the fans, measure your fan and do a broad search, ex. ASUS 76mm, etc. It'll be much cheaper to replace the fan, and the STRIX cooler is very efficient. Otherwise, if you're will to fork out the money you can go custom, that would be the most satisfying, get a full waterblock, 120mm or 240mm setup and a pump + reservoir. It'll add up though! Idk about AIO options, I'd be concerned as mentioned above, cooling the VRM's, etc.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      triggerftu

Unfortunately the original seller of the card doesn't accept returns after a time. so after reading the reply's I've come to several conclusions. 1. finding replacement fans are near to impossible reason being that how the screws are set to mount the fans are different from card to card oddly. not for a similar or same kind of fan. 2. liquid cooling is an option but something that will be done in the future, reason being i'm already using a few AiO cooling solutions and one that i've looked into are kinda questionable so moving to a custom setup will be my final option. and lastly 3. i've tried RMA the card, so far after talking with 1 rep out of the 20 times i've called (most the time the phone answered with no one on the other end) i found that 3 broken blades causing the huge noise when gaming can in fact work within warranty. (thank god) radguy88 when i'm ready for a full out liquid setup i'd be happy to have your assistance on that in the future if your up for it.

staticfx

good lord... return it for a new one! Why would you accept a broken, brand new 390x!