2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2015 8:52 PM by t77chevy

Absolute Best GPU for the AMD Athlon X4 860K before bottlenecking occurs?

bee_lyte

I've seen a couple threads on this topic elsewhere, but I don't feel like there's been a clear answer. Good questions about specific GPU's and their bottleneck potential, but I'm asking a slightly different question. As the title questions; what is the absolute best graphics card I can get with the 860k before I start experiencing bottlenecking? If it matters I use two monitors, at 1920x1080.

Current Games:

Pay Day 2, DayZ, War Thunder, Heroes of the Storm, Skyrim, Worms Revolution, Aliens Vs Predator, Evolve, Rocket League, and Star Craft 2. I'm upgrading because I'd also like to play Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefield 4, and Fallout 4 in the near future.

Current Build:

MSI A88XM Gaming

AMD Athlon X4 860K

8gb of G.Skill RAM (Currently 1600mhz)

I have the GT 730, but it's time to upgrade, hence me question (theres a pirate living in me..)

SB 1TB HD

• Re: Absolute Best GPU for the AMD Athlon X4 860K before bottlenecking occurs?
          black_zion

Your CPU is way to weak and RAM way to slow for Fallout 4 (which for some reason requires the fastest RAM possible) so you can forget that. Realistically you're looking at the 270X as the top option, but you're still only looking at FPSs in the 30s for any modern game.

• Re: Absolute Best GPU for the AMD Athlon X4 860K before bottlenecking occurs?
            t77chevy

not even close, I have a a8 5500 apu which is weaker then the 860k in my youngest sons pc , it currently has a r9 290x in it " left over gpu from one of my pc upgrades " and even cpu heavy games like gta 5 plays very well with this pair , ofcource advance graphics are off , but all standard graphics are ultra with fxaa only for aa and holds a steady 60 fps with the worst dip during fast driving / shooting scene was 42 fps , I'm more then surprised of these results myself , we are waiting for the 880k launch although have been debating to get the 860k as a release date hasn't been released yet for the 880k

I do agree you need more ram that above pc I mentioned currently has 16g of 1866 adata .

sure some games will bottleneck gpu , but this can be said for all builds for x game to be honest . take a 5960x and an furyx and some joke engine game like arma and even that cpu wont load up that gpu .

as always when looking at gpu upgrades , look at the games you play and buy the gpu with the most fps in gaming benchmarks that fits in your budget .