AnsweredAssumed Answered

HDMI audio falls back to PCM stereo output every few reboots

Question asked by tomeq on Nov 11, 2015

Hi,

I'm using Zotac AD10 as my HTPC, it has AMD E-350 cpu on board. Recently, I've upgraded to Windows 10. I did completely fresh install to avoid any problems. Unfortunately I have problems all the time.... one of them was perpetual installation of AMD graphics driver from Windows Update that didn't support ANY video acceleration. I had to fallback to 14.12 Catalysts with gfx driver for Win8.1. This works.

Other thing that doesn't work: HDMI Audio driver seems to fall back to PCM Stereo output only after few reboots. The only solution to that is to go to Device manager-> AMD HDMI Audio output -> revert driver/reinstall driver. I need to do that EVERY TIME: revert driver, then it works for some time, it stops, I reinstall latest 15.7.1 HDMI Audio driver, it works for some time then stops I do revert driver and so on and so forth.

It's interesting that no matter if I set HDMI audio passthrough in video player or I decide to decode it to PCM first I get 2.0 PCM output. Only reinstallation/reverting the driver solves the problem.

What the heck is going on with this? Is there any solution to stop that loop?

Outcomes