AnsweredAssumed Answered

Underclocking (kind of) solves freezing

Question asked by pstener on Nov 8, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 11, 2015 by backFireX64

Good morning everyone!

A while back I bought a "AMD Radeon HD 7700" to replace my old GPU that burned during a thunderstorm. Problem is, ever since then I get random freezes, that require me to hard reset. The GPU is updated, and it's temperature never went above 30ºC idle, 47ºC gaming. It usually happens while gaming but it may happen when I'm just browsing facebook or watching a youtube video. Underclocking using AMD Catalyst Control Center seems to reduce the frequency at which it freezes, meaning it won't freeze every time that I play a game, watch a video or whatever, but it will still freeze if I, for example, open facebook + youtube, a game + facebook, or a game + youtube. PS: It also freezes on Netflix, while playing Solitaire or while doing anything on the computer, I use facebook, a game and youtube just as an example.

Default settings are: GPU Clock settings: 1100Mhz. High Performance memory clock settings: 1300Mhz. Power limit settings: 0%.

I underclock it to: GPU Clock settings: 400Mhz. High Performance memory clock settings: 850Mhz. Power limit settings: 0%.

This is the screen I get when it freezes, and I have to hard reset. If I don't, the computer will just shut down by itself a few seconds later.

12186798_1025402314147338_4071880931764401037_o.jpg

My computer specs are:
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series

CPU: i5 750 @ 2.67Ghz

RAM: 4096MB

750W Corsair Power supply.

I think it is also worth saying that the GPU is the only hardware that died during that thunderstorm, every other hardware piece is the same as before, the same setup that ran perfectly, that now freezes with this GPU. My question is: Is there anything I can do to stop it from freezing? It is really frustrating to lose everything I'm doing when it freezes, to be unable to do anything simultaneously on the computer because it will just freeze.

Outcomes