19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2015 5:49 AM by ivana

APU Kaveri: poor performance due energy saving &/or driver bug. Suggestion to improve

ivana

Hello.

Subject

APU includes CPU and iGPU. Both consume energy and generate heat. The whole chip has a certain limit TDP. When one APU component is idle, then another can operate at full speed. However, both components at the same time to run at full speed cannot, because it would lead to a significant excess of the limit TDP. When it is necessary to work with both components at the same time, one of them is force reduced the speed. Often inhibited CPU to 3000 MHz, iGPU running at full speed. However, there is another way: CPU runs at full speed and force iGPU inhibited. Some applications greatly decreases performance due inhibition of one of the Component APU.

My applications (games) list that lose in performance

- Anno 2070. Settings: 720p, low preset. Performance: 30 FPS on land in 1 mission of the company. Monitoring captures drawdown frequency iGPU. I found a bug in the driver which can sometimes engage in this game all the performance APU. It is necessary to change the game in windowed mode instead of full screen, and then at the same graphics settings get 50 FPS! There both components operate at full speed.

- Thief. This game is demanding and the CPU and GPU. CPU running at full speed, but iGPU decelerated to 533 MHz instead of 720 MHz. Settings: Mantle=on, low preset, 720p. Min FPS in benchmark is 20. [UPD] DOF=high (normal + mantle = crash). [UPD]  This behavior is in the driver version 15.11 Crimson. But it was not in the driver Catalyst Omega 14.12. It was 25-27 FPS in this game, but now - only 19-20 FPS.

- Styx: Master of Shadows. There slowed down the CPU to 3000 MHz. Task Manager detects a high load on the CPU. Average FPS is high, but occasionally slows sharply.

- Lego Harry Potter 5-7 years. Sags frequency iGPU. Average FPS is very high, but sometimes there are sharp brake with any graphics settings.

- Team Fotress 2. This game is very demanding to the CPU. There CPU is at full speed, but iGPU strongly inhibited. Low and medium settings - normal. However, high and very high - brakes.

- Left 4 Dead 2. There CPU is at full speed, but iGPU strongly inhibited. Medium and high settings - normal. However, very high - brakes.

- Portal 2. There CPU is at full speed, but iGPU strongly inhibited. Medium and high settings - normal. However, very high - brakes.

To be continued ... Please help me to expand the list.

Suggestion / request

Energy saving can be controlled via the driver. I propose a simple solution: allow me (under my responsibility) to disable the limit TDP in Catalyst overdrive. Let A10-7850K TDP to 125 watts instead of 95 watts. Maybe some motherboards have the BIOS appropriate option. In my Gigabyte GA-F2A88XN-WIFI (mimi-ITX) not. The board has a heatsink on the VRM. I have a good cooling of the CPU. I have a good box is blown. I contacted with Gigabyte. There I was redirected to AMD.

I ask AMD to make an optional program overclocking in Catalyst overdrive. Please. I believe that it will not give AMD high cost of money and time.

My complaint and request to AMD

Before I buying a product, I did not know anything about energy saving technologies. AMD has not informed about this. When I decided to buy this product, I thought that frequencies will be permanent. But it was not so. I believe that in this way AMD has violated my right to awareness of the characteristics of the product.

I bought Kaveri APU when it just came at a high price. I could make another choice (Intel core i3/i5 + equivalent or higher discrete graphics card), but I to meet AMD APU. Now, I ask AMD to meet me. If you do, I will know that you care about customer opinion. In this case, other things being equal, I next time again choose the solution AMD. Otherwise, the next time I'll make another choice.

GPU overclocking

Now I can not overclock at all: no matter what I did not put frequency from BIOS (e.g 900 MHz), is still a frequency of 720 MHz. Remove, please, and this restriction too.

Thanks.

Catalyst 15.11.1-beta installed on my system. OS Win8.1 64bit.

Radeon software Crimson 15.11.1 beta. OS Win 10 64bit

I am sure that this processor can provide a comfortable performance in these applications by turning off power savings.

Screanshots:

- Anno 2070:

anno2070.gif

- Thief:

thief.gif

(This behavior is in the driver version 15.11 Crimson. But it was not in the driver Catalyst Omega 14.12. It was 25-27 FPS in this game, but now - only 19-20 FPS)

- Lego Harry Potter 5-7 years:

lhp57.gif

(UPDATED at 15 december)