8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 9:23 AM by john007

@AMD - Poor Performance in Black Ops 3 - Initial Tests Results - Work in Progress

savagebeastzero

Hey amdmatt ray_m

Update: I believe I have located and solved the issue. I will update this thread tomorrow. Thus far since my changes, I've been able to play at without issue, with a flawless 60FPS at 3600x1800. I'll explain the details further tomorrow. Now time for some sleep!

There are serious issues in regards to performance in Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 in both single and multi-GPU configurations using any of the following drivers I had available, saved via back up for my tests.

• 15.8 Beta
      • 15.10 Beta
      • 15.11 Beta (Bops3 Beta Driver)

After experiencing poor performance with the 15.11 beta driver along with Treyarch's recent "cpu thread patch" solution and without, I decided to begin installing each of the above to see if they were affected as well. With each install, I of course made sure to perform a clean install. Regardless of the driver being used, performance was...to be kind, incredibly poor. There was never a moment that I was able to note any sort of stability for more than one match, in single or multi-GPU's in regards to frame rate, frame time or even basic driver stability across the board, regardless of in game or Catalyst settings applied. Please note, that this isn't an isolated incident as I'm sure you're aware and is affecting AMD users badly in Call of Duty: Black Ops 3. Although it is only going into day two since release and Treyarch I'm sure will issue more patches, I thought it would be best to still bring the following to your attention.

I apologize for the format I have used for everything below, but I wasn't originally prepared to conduct this today, but felt it needed to be done for the AMD community as quickly as possible. I'll continue my tests and ensure that I complete them in the proper format as soon as possible.

Please note: These issues are only occurring in Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 with any of the listed driver packages.****

Below are the issues experienced utilizing each driver package across the board during the tests.

Driver Crashes (Desktop): When the crash to desktop occurred, there were multiple instances that I lost access to the Windows taskbar, with no ability to recover it without a system reboot.

Driver Crash (Intermittent): After this occurred, neither frame rates, nor times recovered and what appeared to be screen tearing occured, yet the tearing was fixed in multiple locations, unlike standard screen tearing. Example: A box shaped "tear" to the upper right, rectangular "tear" to the center and low and what appeared to be the screen tearing apart in the center. I have never seem tearing in this fashion before. There were also multiple times that when this occurred and I closed the game out, I experienced the same symptom as described above, losing access to the taskbar with no ability to recover it without a systyem reboot.

System Crash: System crashes without warning, as well as instances where I was able to physically log (On paper) the degraded performance seconds prior to it occurring.

Excessively Low FPS, Frame Times and Stability: Frames often dropped to as low as 20FPS, frame times exceeded 125ms at times and as noted above, general stability was poor.

In game, mode test environ and CCC settings applied as noted below:
      Utilizing each driver package across the board during the tests

• Resolution and Virtual Super Resolution tested: On and OFF / (1920x1080, 2560x1440, 3600x1800) I sadly even went as low as 800x600 <--- with no change in stability.
      • In game settings: Tested on every combination possible, lowest to highest. Performance degradation and crashes were identical regardless of resolution or in game settings.
      • Modes tested: Single player campaign, multiplayer (Off and Online), Zombies (Off and Online), Running mode.
      • Screen Mode: Full screen (Multi-GPU and Single), Windowed Borderless (Single GPU), Windowed (Single GPU).
      • CCC settings tested: Default profile, as well as Manual, with everything set to "performance, multi-sampling etc" to ensure environment was least resource hungry.
      • Frame rate limiter: 58, 59, 60, 61, 61, 63, 64 and off.
      • Vsync: Combinations of Vsync on and off in both CCC and in game.

Basic Test environment and duration:

• Tests performed over the course of a 6 hour period.
      • Testing was performed at factory defaults, as well as my standard overclocks (Please see picture below for referencing my overclocked specs/clocks/components).

SavageBeastZeroRig.png

• Both CPU and GPU temps were stable, never even approaching the TjMax throughout the tests. (Max CPU/57 Degrees Celsius - Max GPU/76 Degrees Celsius)

Rare performance stability occurrences to note:

Note/Rare positive performance occurrences: Crossfire and Single GPU cfg's appeared to be working without issue at random occassions never exceeding one match/stage. When it did operate as intended, I was able to play flawlessly @60FPS, 3600x1800, Maxed - @60FPS, 2560x1440, Maxed - @60FPS, 1920x1080, Maxed - Etc, etc.

Yet this would occur no more than for one match initially after loading the first match and then upon loading (whether it be back to the multiplayer lobby before the next match, loading before the next stage in single player campaign etc.) the performance would degrade to as little as 20FPS each time and never approach playability again, until I would relaunch the game and if it was one of the "lucky" times, after reloading it would return back to a playable state of 60FPS without issue. Note: That this "random" playability was roughly 1 out of every 15 .exe launches and there didn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it would launch in this "playable state".

To be completed in the proper format as soon as possible

In closing, I apologize for my data being less than optimal and lacking a bit in comparison to something I would usually submit to bring to your attention, but wanted to in the least get the initial basic data complete. I'll complete my test data as per usual in full detail as well as the proper format, as soon as possible. I'll ensure to post the rest of the results within this post and also make sure to send them via support to ensure they recieve them as well. I hope this may be somewhat useful in it's current and future state to the driver team.

Anyways, thanks for reviewing and as always, have a nice day/weekend amdmatt ray_m  and everyone else here at the AMD forums.

• Re: @AMD - Poor Performance in Black Ops 3 - Initial Tests Results - Work in Progress
          backFireX64

All latest COD games are a mess on launch. Not surprising for any AAA (in theory at least) game nowadays to be honest.

I read a review on guru3d site (which i personally trust), and all high end gpus of both AMD and NVIDIA dropped 50% on total frames at various points !!! Now that's consistency right there !

Give it a few patches...

• Re: @AMD - Poor Performance in Black Ops 3 - Initial Tests Results - Work in Progress
              savagebeastzero

Yeah, it doesn't surprise me either, the consistency is astonishing! It seems to be the case more so than not, that higher end GPU users have been taking the brunt of the launch issues as of late. There have been far more high end users reporting issues (both AMD and Nvidia) within the Steam forums than anyone else. Each with the same issues, with in game changes as drastic as even the lowest resolutions and settings providing them no performance gains. Simply, a standard performance across the board.

I honestly don't believe that there's much to be done on AMD, nor Nvidia's end at the moment. Prior to them patching the game yesterday, I was able to play a few matches with flawless performance as were Nvidia users in both single and multi GPU configurations. Sadly, since the performance was short lived, I never collected any data or really seemingly never had any purpose to at that moment. I only played for about roughly 30 minutes prior to the patch, but from what I did see personally AMD seemed to knock the drivers out of the park. So I believe that whatever Treyarch did to improve performance during the "i5 patch" in the background, wasn't just tied simply to worker threads. They may have possibly altered something that disrupted what was previously perfectly sound for high end/Crossfire/SLI users.

Either way, like you said, I'm sure it will all get corrected within the coming days and hopefully sooner rather than later, if for nothing else but for PC gamers to get a much needed shot in the arm in terms of dev's optimizing releases. It's been a bad years in terms of AAA releases being botched and this isn't a way to end the year. Hopefully Fallout 4 will arrive being the first Bethesda title to be released without bugs, glitches and the like, which would be a marvel of design due to it's open ended architecture and would shock everyone, since they're the ones who have more of a reason to miss a few things here and there.

If this sort of ill fated release tendency continues, I worry of another video game crash due to the consumer distrust. I don't think another like the late 70's-early 80's is possible, but instead quite a few companies could shut their doors for good changing the landscape of the industry. Yet, that conversation is for another day.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  backFireX64

I know what you mean but there is always room for innovators.

Look at how good GTA V and MGS V were at launch and after the (inevitable for the pc as it has always been) first patches.

Look at how well indie games fill the gap left behind by the big companies.

As long as the pc gamer has some great alternatives, i will stand by those who deserve my time and money.

And the question is, does pir_cy generate poor games and company policies, or is it the other way around ? Or is it irrelevant at the end of the day ?

kingfish

It looks to me like the most popular thing about this port, according to steam users, is that Steam will refund your money. Of all the posts on Steam, the majority are using Nvidium graphics...so everybody is whining.

backFireX64

You know what ?

I am so tired of seeing this policy becoming the new standard, when it comes to porting games to PC without investing funds in actual pre-release Quality Assurance testing.

I kind of wonder sometimes... Is it less expensive for the publishers + developers to release the game without proper QA beforehand, and let the Steam/ GoG/ Origin/ dvd-rom , or whatever, users do the "debugging" process for them ? And get some initial sales figures, that will ultimately be the decisive part for the companies to motivate them to actually patch the game and fix the "holes". Or not.

I mean, how many people actually go through the process of refunding their beloved game ? Especially the big franchises ?

How big is the cost to organize a good QA testing team and possibly delay a game's release ? How much does this affect the quality of the game AND the deadlines for short-term profits ?

Is it more profitable to focus on the consoles?

Just think about it for a minute.

john007

Hello,

Have you tried Sweetfx or ENB Series? Both use custom dll injections which you can edit yourself and may help with performance. Hope this helps.

backFireX64

Does anyone experience large amount of RAM usage on this game ? I mean, lot's of it !!!

The real problem (bad and inconsistent framerate and crashes, among other) starts when i try to play on 2 or 4 gpu cores, but i also notice excessive RAM usage on 1 gpu core only.

I currently use 12 Gb triple-channel DDR3 RAM, clocked at 1600 Mhz with 7-7-7-20 basic timings, and i also use a 4-6 Gb pagefile on a SSD. The game eats all of it !! I feel that i would need at least 16 Gb of physical RAM to cope with the current issues.

CrossFireX vs RAM was present on 'ghosts' and 'advanced warfare' as well for me (2 x HD5970 at 930/ 1000 Mhz + I7 975/ 8 threads ~4.00 Ghz + 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM), but requiring so much RAM (and VRAM ...) for this game is just ridiculous and screams... lack of PC optimization, in my opinion.