3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 16, 2015 5:42 PM by hazzmat

AMD 6770 Overheating

hazzmat

I have been having this issue for some time now.  Sitting idle the GPU temp is at 65c and 101c under load.  I monitor the temps using the AMD Catalyst control performance monitor.  The fan is constantly running around 50% and soon after launching a game it shoots up to 100% fan speed making it rather loud.  I have done some research on this heating issue but have not found many conclusive answers on how to cool the card down.  When I first got the card it did not have this issue, it happened about a year after getting it.

I remove the card and clean it out almost monthly to prevent the idle heat from reaching 70c.  I always make sure that it is re-seated correctly making sure there is no connection issue.

Any help is welcomed.

• Re: AMD 6770 Overheating
          t77chevy

sounds like the gpu needs fresh thermal paste , I personally recommend gelid solutions gc extreme for the paste , its none conductive and works excellent , watch a couple youtube videos about how to do it if you don't know how , and don't forget the thermal pads for the vram / vrms

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              hazzmat

Thanks, I will probably try that once I get some thermal paste.

hazzmat

I did another cleaning attempt before resorting to reapplying paste.  I removed the back plate and cracked open the fan part without separating the heat sync and dusted it out.  Apparently there was a chunk of dust stuck inside the card that I was not able to get out before.  Running several days now with a 44-46c idle temp and 67-70c under load.

This was a more in-depth cleaning than I have done before but it seems to have worked.  Thank you again for your help.