12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 4:38 PM by cavemanthe0ne

Suggestions for MITX/HTPC build?

cavemanthe0ne

Thinking about building an HTPC for my family, needs to be able to run games decently on a 1280x720 60hz TV. Other than that, budget will likely be $300-$550 (would like to stay around $400 but could probably go a bit higher).

I was maybe thinking getting an A10-7870k, or maybe the Athlon X4 760k+ r7 250, what are your thoughts or recommendations? I might opt for a Pentium K (I could get one for cheap from Microcenter) but Lga 1150 MITX boards are way expensive .)   Also, whats a good MITX case? I haven't really payed any attention to cases other than the random Corsair news so idk which ones are good/bad/ugly to work with.

Thanks!

• Re: Suggestions for MITX/HTPC build?
          ebonclaw

I would see about going to MATX instead of ITX.  There's a better much better selection of cases and you can actually use an AM3+ platform, granting you access to an FX 8320/8350 which will be an exponential CPU improvement.

Here's an example within your budget, pushing a MUCH better video card (R9-380) and CPU (FX-8320) I quick-built.  You'll need to purchase a windows key if you don't already have one, I would expect this to be around $30, which is what I paid for mine and install via flash drive, but that's about it.  I did NOT check GPU length/clearance for the specified case, I just chose what I knew to be a pretty potent good value card that stayed within budget.  You can probably find better deals by doing more thorough shopping than my quick pick though.  The motherboard was also a quick pick, if you want USB 3 headers you may want to shop those a bit, but the basic proof of concept/value is there.

These system specs are very similar to my wife's PC, and offers up a better GPU than I'm using in mine right now, and I can say firsthand that I can play BF4 wonderfully, FFXIV on max just fine, and anything else I've thrown at it.  Should be totally fine for Fallout 4 as well!

AMD FX-8320, Sapphire Radeon R9 380, Thermaltake Core V21 - System Build - PCPartPicker

cavemanthe0ne

I'm basically just going for a box that can do three things:

1: Replace the junky old Blu-ray player under the TV

2: Replace the Xbox 360 for gaming & netflix/hulu & such.

3: Be small and decently quiet. Some noise is OK but not too loud.

So essentially it just has to have decent enough spec for 720p medium/high settings in most games (hence why i picked an r7 250- it is semi-decent, cheap, and there are low-profile ones availible) I'd love to go MATX but the space where I would like to put the PC woouldn't fit it Because AM3 is a good platform, just no MITX boards.

(side note: I don't have to worry about Windows keys, ill either do linux or use one of my "free" keys from school or from my MS account)

Any more that it could do would just be a bonus & futureproofing. 

ebonclaw

So you're replacing the blu-ray player, meaning that whatever case you choose will need to fit an optical drive then?

cavemanthe0ne

Yep - slimline or full sized, either way works. Other than that  I am not picky about the case at all as long as it is not super junky/bad. I might look in into some of the ones with psus preinstalled, would be nice (though perhaps not).

Edit: After a quick search, I found the Silverstone SG13. Would fit the space I have availible (Height wise- length & width are not issues). And has room for a variety of hardware & at a good price.

ebonclaw

It's a nice case, but you'll need an external Blue Ray drive to use it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    ebonclaw

I like this case, it's designed to accommodate larger video cards with the intention of being able to provide suitable gaming performance, plus it has the slot loading drive bay (you'll need to buy a slot loading optical drive).  Should be able to ram everything you want in it.  BTW, the optical drive in your system build doesn't do Blu-Ray.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          cavemanthe0ne

Ok, after a bit of research and Ebaying I put this pc partpicker list together: AMD Athlon X4 860K - System Build - PCPartPicker ... Cut down cost a lot with same/better stuff from Ebay. And thank you for noticing the fact that the disc drive was wrong! What do you think of it now? I basically put in a 260x, and subbed out a few other things for better deals on Ebay to bring price down & make it all work together!

And I'd totally go for that case, but the Cooler Master Elite 130 allows for ATX psus (instead of buying an expensive tiny PSU, can get a decent normal sized one). Tho, the case you found is really quite nice, as the elite 130 might be a bit annoying trying to fit in/around the TV stand somewhere. Whereas the Milo would just fit in the spot.

ebonclaw

ATX compatibility is nice, but if the system isn't gonna fit where you want it to, then it's not gonna fit.  Your system wattage is pretty low draw, you don't need much to run it.  You might have to spend a TAD more on the PSU, but I'd say that's a good tradeoff to get the case you really want.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256097.

Still, your list looks fine now, I don't see anything obviously wrong with it anymore, and it's in your price range, so I'd really just check dimensions and ensure it fits and build it.  I might've liked a meatier GPU in there, but in an ITX case, it can't be helped.

Good luck man!

cavemanthe0ne

Ok, thanks! I'll definitely go see what fits... Thanks for the input, really appreciate it! If you have any ideas for better stuff let me know, this is a project that may take a while to finish (as the old Bluray still keeps going despite dead fans & the 360 is also still working yet) so if you find deals/better cases/whatever feel free to post it.

I may have to pick a GTX 750 Ti if I do get the smaller case as it doesn't require a six-pin plug, or maybe the r7 250 (same reason).   (That and I may get random stuff if I find a great deal, will post my progress!)