AnsweredAssumed Answered

AMD AMF crashes on R7 260X GPU

Question asked by vladimir on Nov 5, 2015
Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 by vkantchev

I tried to post in Media SDK forum but can not. However, I already have posts in past so it is strange that forum consider me as new comer. But well, you can just move that post to Media SDK.

We have several troubles with AMD GPUs in our products - XSplit Broadcaster / XSplit Gamecaster and it is good to be able to report them. Our report that was made long time ago regarding surface sharing in Direct3D have no answer still (FYI NVidia don't have that issue). We also have some crashes when using DXVA2 on AMD GPU. This will be good if we can send crash dumps somehow to AMD for investigation.

But current report is regarding AMD AMF. We see "driver stops responding and was restored" message during AMD AMF initialization on R7 260X GPU and something hangs in AMD dlls (function never return). This happens with 15.7.1 driver and also with latest 15.10 beta (I tried this in Win10 x64). We tried on several computers and that issue happens on all of them. But everything works fine with GPU like HD 7770. Our component calls following functions related to AMD AMF and issue happens in AMFCreateComponent call.

AMF_ERROR( AMFCreateContext(&m_pContext) );

AMF_ERROR( m_pContext->InitDX11(m_deviceDX11.GetDevice()) ); // or DX9

AMF_ERROR( AMFCreateComponent(m_pContext, AMFVideoEncoderVCE_AVC, &pEncoder) );

You can easily reproduce with any XSplit Broadcaster or Gamecaster installation (you only need to install it, no need to run). Just run VCE probe in CMD console using following command (you can see some debug info in DbgView):

"c:\Program Files (x86)\SplitmediaLabs\XSplit Broadcaster\VHMultiWriterExt2.exe" h264vce2enc_probe

Outcomes