ebonclaw

Project Blackout (Define R4/FX-8370)

Discussion created by ebonclaw on Nov 5, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 18, 2015 by ebonclaw

Description

So this PC has a bit of history to the build that is kinda lengthy, so I've reduced it to short sentances.

Used to work in retail.
Customer bought this HP system.
Customer got virus.
Customer didn't want to pay for virus removal, would rather put the $ towards a new model.
GAVE me the PC.
Sat in my closet for a while, needing a GPU and a more powerful PSU before it would be capable of doing decent gaming.  Kinda forgot about it.
Friends learned of its existence when storytelling one day.
Friends bought me PSU for Xmas cuz they want me to play FFXIV with them.
Have to use their gift, would be rude if I didn't. 
Can't put it in an ugly case.  Bought a Sapphire R9-280 dual-x and the Fractal Define R4. 
Define R4 Blackout Edition was chosen because I wanted subtle lighting, so the smoke tinted window is ideal for a unique, subdued look.
Transplanted old mobo featuring some AMD Phenom 945 (I think) and 6GB of RAM to case.
****Plays FFIV for a while, it's awesome, I missed PC gaming so much (my last PC gaming system had an AMD Athlon 2500 I'd overclocked)****
Wife is jelly. 
Wants her own PC.
Built Brave Little Toaster for her that I posted to the showcase earlier with an FX-8350.
Now I'm jelly of wife's CPU, it's really fast!
Save $$ to buy new stuff.
Go on vacation to Texas Renfaire.  While there, bring lots of $ to Microcenter since my area doesn't have one.  The irony of going to Microcenter before going to a renfaire is not lost on me.
They're out of FX-8350s.  They have one 8370 left.....darn, guess I gotta buy that one. 
Buy new MoBo, CPU, RAM and cooler. 
FX-8370 is FAST. 
Decide to pretty up the case.
Add NZXT LED lighting.

ENTERED AND WON AN R9 Fury TRI-X

Performance summary:
FX-8370 overclocked to 4.5 ghz on air cooled Evo 212.  Dual Phanteks static pressure fans feed the air straight into the exhaust.  Temp stays below 55c under load.
System is silent when the R4's fan controller is set to low, ideal for netflix and chill with the wife in bed.
System emits very low hum from CPU fans under full throttle when gaming.  Very pleased with its performance and silence despite the overclocked air cooled CPU.  HIGHLY recommend the Fractal Define series for anyone seeking a quiet, beautiful case with air cooling.

23VTU04.jpg

4k164fn.jpgdSusUz3.jpgakRfUVC.jpg  iNLHga0.jpg

Specifications

CPUAMD FX-8370 @ 4.5 Ghz
CoolerCooler Master Evo 212 Hyper w/ dual Phanteks SP fans
MotherboardAsus M5A99FX Pro Rev 2.0
Memory8 GB DDR3 @ 1866
GraphicsSapphire R9-Fury
Disc Drive 1128 GB SSD
Disc Drive 21 TB HDD
Disc Drive 3{drive3}
PSU750W Antec Modular PSU
CaseFractal Define R4 Blackout Edition (windowed)
MonitorSamsung S27E390H

Outcomes