AnsweredAssumed Answered

R9 285 Crossfire + VSync Audio Popping/Stuttering

Question asked by jgarcia0427 on Nov 5, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 by wybrem

Refer to the following thread for an in-depth detail of the on-going problem: https://community.amd.com/thread/170510#170510
Basically this is somewhat of a common problem with the R9 series of GPUs. As it has all been heard before I'll keep it short and sweet. I'm here to keep the problem in light and hopefully be just another one to nudge AMD to actually do something.

The issue: When attempting to use dual monitors in an R9 Crossfire setup, if Crossfire is enabled and you attempt to run a Fullscreen game/application with VSync enabled, audio distortion (popping/stuttering/cutting in and out and video lag/stuttering occurs. The only ways around it are:
A) Disable Crossfire (Rendering a Crossfire setup pointless)
B) Disable V Sync for nausea-inducing tearing on my monitor or TV (60Hz).
C) Switch to Windowed or Borderless Window in the program. In which case the Audio stuttering and Video lag stops simultaneously on a dime. Even with Crossfire and V Sync enabled. Hooray! Sort of.

However, there are many games that I wish to play Fullscreen as I currently enjoy streaming:

Here is a video demonstration of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yrYvI9lIiY

The question: As this has been an ongoing problem apparently since 2013, is there any RECENT update or viable work-around for this KNOWN issue? Other than option C?
The issue, for me, has been ongoing since I got my new build in April 2015 and since I first hooked up dual monitors, attempting to play PC games on one. So technically, on all of the drivers that have released since then (I love to stay up to date. And obviously, naïve enough to think this would get fixed any time soon...) I am currently running the 15.10 beta as the WHQL are no better.

Driver Packaging Version 15.201.1151.1005-151012a-295347E-ATI

Catalyst Version 15.10 Beta

Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1500

2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

Direct3D Version 9.14.10.01128

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.13399

Mantle Driver Version 9.1.10.0095

Mantle API Version 98309

AMD Catalyst Control Center Version 2015.1012.1345.22892

AMD Audio Driver Version 10.0.0.01

My Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz

CPU Liquid Cooling: Cooler Master Nepton 140XL with Sleeve Bearing 140mm Radiator and JetFlo Silent Fan

Graphics Card: Two (2) XFX AMD Radeon R9-285 Double Dissipation Edition in Crossfire

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X99-GAMING 5 LGA Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Memory: HyperX FURY DDR4 (4x4GB) DDR4 2400 MHz

Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 1200W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS Platinum

System Drive: Two (2) AMD Radeon R7 120G SSD’s in RAID 0

Storage Drive: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB SATA Internal Hard Drive

Optical Drive: 6X BR-Disc rewriter/DVD Combo w/ CyberLink PowerDVD 14 Ultra Blu-ray disc playback and media library
Win 10 64bit (Also previously Win 8 64bit, a clean install)

I have My ASUS VX248 hooked up via DVI and TV as the primary via HDMI, but it doesn't matter what displays I use. Also tried the laptop as a display. The audio popping also occurs with any audio device, headphones, monitor, tv, other headphones etc.

It has been a long road of migraines and hair pulling. At first I thought it was OBS, then I thought it was my headphones, then I tested every audio source and audio device possible, then I realized it only did it with crossfire. Then after a Google search I was able to narrow it down to Crossfire + VSync. I also found threads and forums dating back to 2013 and AMD either keeping their heads down, denying it, or claiming it has been 'fixed' and yet here we are at the end of 2015. Quite despicable, really. So lastly, I found this problem was quite common, in fact.

I'd rather skip the theatrics. Have you tried disabling your unused audio devices/onboard audio? Yes. Have you tried testing each card? Yes they work fine. Blahblahblah

I, like most others with this problem, have literally tried everything possible, from messing around with simple Windows settings, to closing all un-needed applications and down to disabling everything I did not need in Device Manager to see if I could narrow it down further.
Absolutely nothing. There is obviously some sort of driver issue on AMDs end that they refuse to acknowledge and fix.

I am VERY close to selling both cards and getting a single, more powerful card, as I am feeling a bit 'green' lately from all of this. If you know what I mean.

Outcomes