5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 10, 2016 8:51 AM by wybrem

R9 285 Crossfire + VSync Audio Popping/Stuttering

jgarcia0427

Refer to the following thread for an in-depth detail of the on-going problem: https://community.amd.com/thread/170510#170510
      Basically this is somewhat of a common problem with the R9 series of GPUs. As it has all been heard before I'll keep it short and sweet. I'm here to keep the problem in light and hopefully be just another one to nudge AMD to actually do something.

The issue: When attempting to use dual monitors in an R9 Crossfire setup, if Crossfire is enabled and you attempt to run a Fullscreen game/application with VSync enabled, audio distortion (popping/stuttering/cutting in and out and video lag/stuttering occurs. The only ways around it are:
      A) Disable Crossfire (Rendering a Crossfire setup pointless)
      B) Disable V Sync for nausea-inducing tearing on my monitor or TV (60Hz).
      C) Switch to Windowed or Borderless Window in the program. In which case the Audio stuttering and Video lag stops simultaneously on a dime. Even with Crossfire and V Sync enabled. Hooray! Sort of.

However, there are many games that I wish to play Fullscreen as I currently enjoy streaming:

Here is a video demonstration of the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yrYvI9lIiY

The question: As this has been an ongoing problem apparently since 2013, is there any RECENT update or viable work-around for this KNOWN issue? Other than option C?
      The issue, for me, has been ongoing since I got my new build in April 2015 and since I first hooked up dual monitors, attempting to play PC games on one. So technically, on all of the drivers that have released since then (I love to stay up to date. And obviously, naïve enough to think this would get fixed any time soon...) I am currently running the 15.10 beta as the WHQL are no better.

Driver Packaging Version 15.201.1151.1005-151012a-295347E-ATI

Catalyst Version 15.10 Beta

Provider Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

2D Driver Version 8.01.01.1500

2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000

Direct3D Version 9.14.10.01128

OpenGL Version 6.14.10.13399

Mantle Driver Version 9.1.10.0095

Mantle API Version 98309

AMD Catalyst Control Center Version 2015.1012.1345.22892

AMD Audio Driver Version 10.0.0.01

My Specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.3GHz

CPU Liquid Cooling: Cooler Master Nepton 140XL with Sleeve Bearing 140mm Radiator and JetFlo Silent Fan

Graphics Card: Two (2) XFX AMD Radeon R9-285 Double Dissipation Edition in Crossfire

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-X99-GAMING 5 LGA Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX

Memory: HyperX FURY DDR4 (4x4GB) DDR4 2400 MHz

Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 1200W ATX12V/EPS12V 80 PLUS Platinum

System Drive: Two (2) AMD Radeon R7 120G SSD’s in RAID 0

Storage Drive: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB SATA Internal Hard Drive

Optical Drive: 6X BR-Disc rewriter/DVD Combo w/ CyberLink PowerDVD 14 Ultra Blu-ray disc playback and media library
      Win 10 64bit (Also previously Win 8 64bit, a clean install)

I have My ASUS VX248 hooked up via DVI and TV as the primary via HDMI, but it doesn't matter what displays I use. Also tried the laptop as a display. The audio popping also occurs with any audio device, headphones, monitor, tv, other headphones etc.

It has been a long road of migraines and hair pulling. At first I thought it was OBS, then I thought it was my headphones, then I tested every audio source and audio device possible, then I realized it only did it with crossfire. Then after a Google search I was able to narrow it down to Crossfire + VSync. I also found threads and forums dating back to 2013 and AMD either keeping their heads down, denying it, or claiming it has been 'fixed' and yet here we are at the end of 2015. Quite despicable, really. So lastly, I found this problem was quite common, in fact.

I'd rather skip the theatrics. Have you tried disabling your unused audio devices/onboard audio? Yes. Have you tried testing each card? Yes they work fine. Blahblahblah

I, like most others with this problem, have literally tried everything possible, from messing around with simple Windows settings, to closing all un-needed applications and down to disabling everything I did not need in Device Manager to see if I could narrow it down further.
      Absolutely nothing. There is obviously some sort of driver issue on AMDs end that they refuse to acknowledge and fix.

I am VERY close to selling both cards and getting a single, more powerful card, as I am feeling a bit 'green' lately from all of this. If you know what I mean.

• Re: R9 285 Crossfire + VSync Audio Popping/Stuttering
          xfxsupport

Thanks for the great video.  RIght to it and focused on the cause and effect.

I haven't seen this issue so clearly explained and no, i haven't had reports from cutomers regarding it.  It is very obvious in the video that you can create the issue, however, im wondering what is causing it.  the conditions are clear, however the cause isnt.  i wonder if amdmatt can shed some light on this.  As i mentioned, i dont know of any other XFX customers off hand that are experiencing a DX11 fullscreen vert sync Xfire sound/lag issue.  I will keep an eye out for it.  Also, if you suspect one of the cards is faulty, i would be happy to RMA both of them for testing internally.

Mark at XFX

jgarcia0427

Thank you for the reply Mark,
              This particular issue aside, I really enjoy my 285's and I do not believe it to be faulty video cards. I've tried them individually, swapped them, as well as monitored their temperatures, fan speeds, GPU and memory clocks while idle and in use. Everything is where it should be, including the cards' performances. I've always had good luck with XFX hardware all around.

Further digging to this thread below on tomshardware clarifies that it occurs whenever video is being played on a secondary monitor. I can now safely confirm this as Rocket league seems perfectly fine (CF+VSync) with OBS open on my main screen (w/ Rocket League on also), leaving nothing on my secondary monitor. AS SOON AS I drag OBS to that secondary monitor and launch Rocket League (or any full screen VSync game for that matter) on my primary screen, then it's snap, crackle, pop city. These others claim it occurs when any video is being played on a dual/multi-monitor setup. I also tested this with a simple YouTube video playing on the secondary monitor, and it is true. That doesn't do any good for me as I require 2 monitors for streaming alone, so this issue renders a multi-monitor set up basically pointless. But what would could possibly be causing it for this group of us?

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1916025/audio-stutter-crackling-vsync-crossfire.html

Referring back to the previous linked thread and the others with the issue, I am doubting they all share this same model of video card. I've read some with 280s and some with 290s.
              After trying literally everything short of probing the BIOS, and considering there was a similar, previous issue AMD had to address with a prior driver release (in 2014 I believe), I firmly believe it is still something driver related that affects a certain pool of users, and thus, still the problem persists for some.

1 of 2 people found this helpful
                wybrem

I have the same issue, with two MSI R9 390's. I am positive that it's the AMD drivers. So positive that I won't be buying a free-sync monitor as I'm ditching AMD all together like everyone is doing atm. AMD is going bankrupt for a reason, think about it. It had great times, but it stopped being innovative. On top of that there is close to no support.

Lol I as well feel green. This is by far my last amd build. I said that in 2005, and I'm saying it again. I had a great decade or so (2006-2014) with my Intel/Nvidia SLI pc. I had a good time with my AMD/Nvidia SLI pc (2014-2015). But with full amd, however, it's nothing but problems, on top of that I have to wait ages for new video drivers.... With green I got a new driver every two weeks.

jgarcia0427

[Repost]

Good news. In the latest driver release Crimson drivers as of 11/23 there has been a fix for the following issue in the release notes

[77703] A crackling noise is heard when running a 3D application in AMD Crossfire™ mode with Vsync enabled

I have downloaded and tested the drivers for a little while and it APPEARS to have have fixed the entire 2+monitor, fullscreen, crossfire + Vsync stuttering and audio distortion altogether. I tested a couple of games such as Rocket League and DMC: Devil May Cry with OBS running and recording from the 2nd monitor without any problem.

I don't want to jump to conclusions and learn upon a fresh boot the problem happens all over again but the Crimson drivers MAY have provided the old, long awaited solution to that problem, so I urge everyone with it to give them a try.

As of right now it appears a simple driver fix was ell that was needed and it was either being sat on, secretly worked on without any mention, or the solution was so simple that AMD was able to fix it in such a short time span, in which case--What took so long? I'm fortunate enough to have struggled with the vsync problem for less than a year, others, not so much. The problem was never listed as a known issue from previous release notes and it existed all the way up to the last beta drivers before these Crimson ones, 15.11.1.

I'll give AMD the benefit of the doubt and cross my fingers that they are possibly headed in a good direction with these upcoming drivers.

Needless to say, the Crimson drivers are still somewhat buggy and need some more work as there are now graphical glitches, texture problems and flickering in games that ran perfectly fine before with those 15.1.1 beta drivers. 2 out 3 games I quickly tested now have random problems.

ie. The compass glitch on Fallout 4 many people have brought up.

Now when returning from a game to the menu on Rocket League, the entire field/lawn flickers with a seizure-inducing strobe effect (you can enter the garage then exit out and that fixes it). Luckily, this doesn't show up on OBS, and only appears on my end/the primary monitor and game, so I won't be able to broadcast unexpected seizures to others.

Fair trade off, for now, I guess as long as this is being worked on, but hey at least crossfire isn't completely useless anymore.

tl;dr everyone with the vsync/lag problem on a crossfire/dual monitor set up should try the new Crimson drivers to see if the problem has been rectified.

Further testing will be done.