3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2015 8:15 PM by techguy

Help me find a processor upgrade.

chunchasku

Ok, so i've spent all day calling around places, and looking online, trying to find a compatible processor upgrade for my motherboard. It seems the AM3 socket is fading out.

I bought my Pc around 5 years ago, so i know its gettin pretty old. You can find the specs for my machine here:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02035413

I upgraded the power supply to a 750 watt corsair, and upgraded the ram to 16GB, also got a video card upgrade years ago. A AMD Radeon HD 6770.

So for quick refrence, my motherboards model number is M2N78-LA (Violet6)

Currently running a AMD Athlon II X2 240e wich came with the pc.

Support website shows what i need to keep in mind when upgrading, but i'm not very computer literate.

Processor upgrade information

This motherboard supports only AM3 processors

Memory support is limited to DDR3 modules only.

HyperTransport 3.0

Split power planes allow separate power management for CPU and integrated memory controller for improved power savings.

Supports the following processors:

AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb)

AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka)

AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto)

AMD Athlon II X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)

AMD Athlon II X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)

AMD Athlon II X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)

Thought i could figure it out, but after contacting several ebay sellers with AMD phenom 2 X4 Am3 socket processors, i was told that thier processor would not be compatible with my motherboard.

I'm goin out of my mind here. i know most would say save up for a new comp, and i want to, but it'll take me several months. I just want to spend like 80 bucks or less if possible and get a quad core to tide me over till i can get a different pc. So tired of frame drops and stuttering when i'm trying to record videos fro my youtube channel.

anyone that could link me to a page where i can snag a processor upgrade that will work for me, would be super awesome and would totally make my day. Hoping for a amd phenom 2 X4, but would take an athlon X4.

Thanks in advance