17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 3:03 PM by ranutso

AMD Radeon M9 M395X Awful Performance

markbyrn

So I have the new iMac 27" (Late 2015 with Core i7-6700k) and while the GPU works great on the Mac side, on Windows 10 I'm lucky to get 7 FPS on the Unigame Heaven Benchmark.  The device manager does show the AMD Radeon R9 M395X driver is installed and dated 10/5/2015.  Any solutions?  Interestingly, I also tried running Win 10 through Mac Parallels and with a Parallels Virtual driver, I was getting 21 FPS and up; obviously the native Windows driver for the M395X isn't working. 

• Re: AMD Radeon M9 M395X Awful Performance
          c_j

Exact same issue on the exact same machine. Horrible performance playing WoW...GPU isn't recognized. Contacted Blizz tech support and was told that the GPU needs an updated driver that AMD has still not provided. Very frustrated and disappointed in AMD....and still waiting for an updated driver...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              ray_m

If you're running Bootcamp, you can try the latest Bootcamp drivers available on the AMD web site.

However, all support for Mac products comes directly from Apple.

markbyrn

Where exactly on your website are these latest drivers?  Have you told Apple that the Windows drivers for your GPUs on that particular iMac don't work at all?  It would surprise me if it wasn't AMD that supplied the drives to Apple and so they're going to point the finger back at you with the customer not getting any help.  What at Apple office in Cupertino should I call to get the ball rolling to fix the problem? 

ray_m

AMD Drivers are located here : Download Drivers

Sure, AMD provides the driver to Apple who then validate it. We cannot post any driver that have not been first certified by Apple.

We have Bootcamp drivers (once again. certified by Apple) but nothing for Parallels.

You might want to visit the Apple Bootcamp page to determine what your support options are.

Boot Camp - Apple Support

FYI, Apple has not yet certified the IMac 27" late 2015 edition for Windows 10 as yet.

Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          longd

Ray you have used this same copy and past message in these mac forums to fix the AMD/Apple driver issue. However this doesnt fix anything. If you try and download those drivers from the link it will tell you that there is no AMD hardware installed on your computer.  I have talked to apple now twice and they say the issue is AMD that they have provided everything needed to update/install the AMD GPU. I am using a 2015 15" Macbook Pro and suppose to have the AMD M9 in my computer. Why is it when I go to download the drivers it says that I have no AMD hardware?!

longd

The exact message from the AMD AutoDetect to download the driver is: We were unable to find a driver for your system. No supported AMD hardware was detected.

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4980

Graphics Hardware: AMD Radeion R9 M370X

Operating System: Windows 10 64bit.

So as you can see your AMD AutoDetect is showing me I have an AMD R9 M370X but its also telling me I have no hardware and can not support drivers?

longd

I downloaded the manual version 15.201.1301-150819a-188578C-WHQL is the folder that it said I needed for my MacBook Pro in this folder I get a setup file for my AMD Catalyst system which I already had on my computer. It shows i have the AMD R9 M370X, but there is nowhere in that system that has an update driver option or even a place that tells me what version I have. It also seems like my mac is running at it stock GPU, my computer is not running with the AMD GPU because nothing recognizes that its intalled on the MAC. There are some other folders in the above mentioned compressed that I downloaded. I have Bin64, Config, Images, Packages in those folders there are a ton of various ATIsetup apps and InstallManagerApp, Setup application, all of which seem to be a application that does the same thing to download the AMD Catalyst system. In the packages folder there is Apps and Drivers folders. In the drivers folder there is amdkmafd, amdkmpfd, display, WDM folders. and in those even more files. Is there something in these folders that would help me get the actual driver installed because nothing seems to be working.

st1led

Sorry to let you guys down, but chances are that the drivers currently available won't fix any issues (or at least for my Early 2011 MBP they didn't, as I reported here: Boot Camp drivers in Windows 10 and low fps). At least, I tried with the latest official AMD drivers for windows, the latest official AMD boot camp drivers, and the latest boot camp drivers on the apple website (the beta drivers won't install on my configuration)

The feeling is that we either have to hope for a miraculous workaround, or wait for new drivers.

longd

I am having the same issue with my 2015 Macbook Pro Retina with the AMD Radeon R9 M370X and Intel Iris Pro. I just got off the phone with Apple and they said that they have no control over the drivers when it goes over to the Windows side. I have done the Boot Camp Assist driver downloads twice. When I go into the windows side all of the drivers seem to work except for the AMD drivers. When I go to the AMD website to try and download the drivers I get an error saying that there is no AMD device found on this system??? Why would I be getting that.

It could be that like the statement above that the drivers are truly install, however I cant believe the performance of this card would be so bad. I am running games on Low settings and getting 8 FPS. It feels like the system is not recognizing the card at all. So far apple says its in windows hands. I called windows and they say its an AMD issue? I cant believe that with this new Apple AMD partnership they didnt sit down to figure out how to get the drivers updated correctly??

ranutso

This is not nice. So Apple says they have no control over Windows and AMD says we need to ask Apple (above). So not cool. This is seriously turning me off from buying a new Mac. I really hate to say it because I am no fan boy and I was kinda looking forward to using an AMD GPU in the future, but I have a late 2012 iMac with a NVIDIA GPU and I can simply use their general drivers, it just works. So I am always updated to the latest version and I have all the features.

By the way, Mr. AMD, Apple has certified the iMac 27" 2015 for Windows 10. It's on the page you linked yourself (recently updated). Funny, though, that the AMD bootcamp drivers on AMD's website aren't updated. Why would AMD allow poor gaming performance on their GPUs, even on an Apple system, blows me away.

Come on, guys. Please let us Mac users play our games nicely on Windows with your GPUs. I sincerely doubt Apple requires you to sign Windows drivers.

longd

Agreed, I am still not able to update my video drivers. I have made sure all of my bootcamp and drivers are up to date, but my mac is still not recognizing the AMD video card. I try to go to the AMD website to update drivers and it says my system does not have any AMD hardware. I try and use the drivers from the bootcamp files but it still does no download the drivers. So I am stuck with a Mac running windows that can not update its video card drivers. Which is a pain since I decided to go with the MacBook Pro and run windows to play games. I was given the option of a Macbook Pro or Dell, now im thinking it might have been easier to go dell? Ugh this should not be an issue for Mac or AMD they should know exactly how to get the driver issues fixed since they have a new partnership and all!!! Please help!!

longd

So I still have not recieved any info from either side on this issue. When I am in my device manager I see AMD but it will not update, it always says its up to date. However when I try to actually download the update from AMDs website, or confirm or check what version of driver I have I get a message saying I do not have any AMD hardware installed into my computer. I have called Apple 2 times now and both of them say its an AMD issue. I dont know whos fault or issue it is, but since AMD is partnering with MAC I would suggest you guys figure out a solution to this! Very frustrating!

markbyrn

Not sure how it got fixed (Windows 10 update, Bootcamp, etc.) but today I found the driver to be functional and saw good performance with the Unigine Benchmark (Valley) with almost the same FPS levels as I got on the Mac OS X side.  I don’t believe the driver changed (dated 10/5/2015 and v. 15.201.2001.0) and so what made it work is a mystery. 

st1led

Oooh, we badly have to find out the cause for this now. Did you update something on the mac side (firmware, etc)? Last windows update installed?

markbyrn

Here's my sys info:  Windows 10 Pro (V 1511 Build 10586.11), Boot Camp 6.0, OS 10.11.1 (Build 15B42)

I did notice that I still get a very bad result from the other Unigine Benchmark (Heaven) but on Cinebench I got 138.83 FPS with Win 10 and a lower 103.16 FPS on the El Capitan side.  

Also I tired GFXBench but it immediately crashed on initialization on Windows while working fine on the Mac side.  So maybe I have to amend what I said to it’s mostly working.