11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 9:35 AM by kifa

StarCraft 2 broken on Win10/Driver 15.201.1151.0

kifa

StarCraft 2 is basically unplayable on my system after recent updates to the game and/or AMD drivers. I get massive stuttering and framerate drops below 30 in both singleplayer and multiplayer during normal gameplay. Additionally - cutscenes in the prologue campaign for Legacy of the Void are a judder-ridden mess, and in the real-time cutscenes from the first campaign ambient occlusion is either not showing at all, or showing as a mass of flickering artifacts. Curiously enough performance does not change a bit even if I set all the detail to absolute minimum. I was able to run this game decently (considering how poorly SC2 generally runs on any hardware) before all the updates, so I'm curious - does anyone else have similar issues?

My (relevant) specs:

AMD Phenom II 1100T

ASUS M5A99X EVO 2.0 motherboard (AMD 990X/SB950)
      16GB DDR3-1333
      Radeon R9 290
      Windows 10 64bit

Also - I'm not observing issues in other games I've played recently, only with SC2. Even Heroes of the Storm run ok.After in

UPDATE: After installing 15.10 beta driver performance did not improve, however visual glitches changed appearance. SSAO is no longer flickering, but it is rendered wrong anyway, as if depth information was incorrect (minimal occlusion in hotspots, abrupt cutoff of shadow, occlusion around screen edges). Whatever is the cause, the effects change with AMD drivers.

UPDATE 2: Issues unsolved as of AMD Software Crimson release. This is slowly getting ridiculous...

UPDATE 3: Issues unsolved as of AMD Software Crimson Hotfix, though I imagine that this update was aimed at fixing mainly the cooling glitch.

Edited to insert OS information, which I somehow managed to forget to include.

Edited to update status with most recent beta driver

Edited to update status with AMD Crimson.

Edited to update status with AMD Crimson Hotfix from 30.11.2015

• Re: StarCraft 2 broken on Win10/Driver 15.201.1151.0
          john007

Hello,

Maybe check out this http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml  to monitor the latency of the unit, you can

try increasing the voltage on the GPU alittle that helped in the past. Have you tried Sweetfx or ENB Series? Both

use custom dll injections which you can edit yourself and may help with performance. Hope this helps.

kifa

DPC Latency Checker does not work correctly on anything newer than Windows 7, the values it gives out are incorrect and useless. I know that because I already tried that to debug some issues with my integrated audio. Increasing voltage is absolutely out of the question - first, the card already has modified cooling and +20% energy budget, plus increased clocks, and that does not do anything for SC2.

As for custom injectors I generally don't use them because I find the effects unappealing visually. And injecting anything into any online game is generally a bad idea, especially when you consider Blizzard games. Besides, last time I checked SweetFX it actually lowered performance of anything it touched, so sadly your solutions are not acceptable, especially considering the fact that the game ran well before both AMD and Blizzard issued updates.

As of 15.11.1 Beta the issue remains unsolved. I reported it to AMD using feedback form, so hopefully it at least gets looked at. Thanks for at least trying to help though.

disappointed_amd_customer

At least thank you for warning me, it seems this is the second of the games that I was looking forward to this year's end that I can scrap of my wish-list due to broken AMD drivers.

At least in the case of Starcraft II you still have a chance of them actually looking at the problem, in the case of Telltale Game of Thrones they'll probably keep on ignoring it as they've been doing for the last 10 months.

I should send them a thank you note for the €250 brick I've installed in my new gaming system...

kifa

Well, Telltale games run badly on anything, consoles included. Game of Thrones is no different sadly, and don't even get me started on The Wolf Among Us. I tried their games on both AMD and nVidia, and on neither it ran well. So in this case I would not put entire blame on AMD. As for StarCraft 2, they have performance issues for years now, and Blizzard never really cared, they just keep on droning about more powerful CPUs. In this case I think AMD and Blizzard messed up together.

But generally yeah, I never had much reason to complain about AMD drivers, but recent months were horrible, especially for Windows 10 users. "Crimson" appears to be AMD's last hope for regaining a semblance of respect from customers. Even the best hardware in the world will not help if your drivers suck. Same thing killed ASUS' Xonar cards for me.

Out of curiosity - what card are you using?

john007

Hello,

I apologize for that I honestly thought DPC checker works on Windows 10? May I ask have you had any problems with older games with the R9 290? Like in the era of DirectX 7 to 8? Thanks for your time.

kifa

Well, DPC has known compatibility issues with Windows 8 and above, that's even acknowledged by the developer. I used LatencyMon to check (similar, but gives more detailed reports and is Win10-compatibile) and confirmed that I have absolutely no latency issues in my system.

As for the games - aside from StarCraft 2 I also have minor visual corruption in Dead Space 3 (missing a few effects, including ambient occlusion, otherwise running excellent - I made a  separate thread about it) and I just found out that I can't properly run FarCry 3: Blood Dragon (crashes on startup, I managed to force it to run once via following Internet advice, but that's it). Other than that, no, I don't have any issues with anything else. I can't say the issues I'm facing are consistent with any particular API level (SC2 and DS3 are D3D 9, but FC3 is D3D11 for example).

I'm also updating the original message to say that Crimson Hotfix (issued yesterday) did not solve issues for me.

john007

Hello,

I feel your pain, I myself had to revert back the drivers, major issues with the Fury X with Crimson, I'm currently on 15.7.1. My advice would be right now to revert back to previous drivers and test out the unit for stability issues. I'm sure AMD are taking a serious note right now about these current issues. Lets Hope. I hope this helps.

kifa

I tried reverting as far as 15.7, and nothing changed sadly. Whatever the cause of the corruption is, it stays as it was on ALL driver versions applicable for Windows 10 and my R9 290. What I will do is I'll borrow a GTX 950Ti from my brothers PC for a while and test my system with it. My nVidia-equipped laptop is too weak to reliably test SC2 performance & visual quality on it. I have a feeling though it will work correctly, because as I've mentioned in other thread, Dead Space 3 does not render a few things on my R9, but displays everything correctly on a mobile GT 740M.

If AMD intends to sacrifice game compatibility during driver development, then I might as well jump ship - I have a large library, and I like to go back to some titles. Plus - those are not even considered "retro" games. I only regret investing in a FreeSync monitor I wouldn't be able to use with any GeForce if I got one.

lsv

I have the same problem, though with an R9 390, also Windows 10. This is what I see - http://i.imgur.com/KfEEayZ.jpg. Various textures, models, whatever, fail to load. It frankly makes me want to sell my 390 and get something else.

AMD plz.