AnsweredAssumed Answered

StarCraft 2 broken on Win10/Driver 15.201.1151.0

Question asked by kifa on Oct 29, 2015
Latest reply on Feb 29, 2016 by kifa

StarCraft 2 is basically unplayable on my system after recent updates to the game and/or AMD drivers. I get massive stuttering and framerate drops below 30 in both singleplayer and multiplayer during normal gameplay. Additionally - cutscenes in the prologue campaign for Legacy of the Void are a judder-ridden mess, and in the real-time cutscenes from the first campaign ambient occlusion is either not showing at all, or showing as a mass of flickering artifacts. Curiously enough performance does not change a bit even if I set all the detail to absolute minimum. I was able to run this game decently (considering how poorly SC2 generally runs on any hardware) before all the updates, so I'm curious - does anyone else have similar issues?

My (relevant) specs:

AMD Phenom II 1100T

ASUS M5A99X EVO 2.0 motherboard (AMD 990X/SB950)
16GB DDR3-1333
Radeon R9 290
Windows 10 64bit

Also - I'm not observing issues in other games I've played recently, only with SC2. Even Heroes of the Storm run ok.After in

UPDATE: After installing 15.10 beta driver performance did not improve, however visual glitches changed appearance. SSAO is no longer flickering, but it is rendered wrong anyway, as if depth information was incorrect (minimal occlusion in hotspots, abrupt cutoff of shadow, occlusion around screen edges). Whatever is the cause, the effects change with AMD drivers.

UPDATE 2: Issues unsolved as of AMD Software Crimson release. This is slowly getting ridiculous...

UPDATE 3: Issues unsolved as of AMD Software Crimson Hotfix, though I imagine that this update was aimed at fixing mainly the cooling glitch.

Edited to insert OS information, which I somehow managed to forget to include.

Edited to update status with most recent beta driver

Edited to update status with AMD Crimson.

Edited to update status with AMD Crimson Hotfix from 30.11.2015

Outcomes