36 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 4:48 AM by enemymind

Sapphire R9 390 or EVGA 970 FTW?

bla

Greetings people of Team Red,

I am building a pc and would love to join your team just because I believe AMD has always been kind to the gamer, while nVidia is becoming more and more scummy as time goes on. I would hate to support nVidia by buying their 970 just because of how dishonest and controlling they have become. However, I am a bit scared purchasing the R9 390 after reading all the scary posts about drivers. I know that driver issues have always plagued AMD GPUs since the dawn of time, while nVidia cards just work out of the box and have great drivers. My question is, are the driver issues resolved? If not, is AMD ever going to pull it together? Is it worth getting the r9 390 over the 970 while the drivers are crippling the card?

Thank you,

Bla

• Re: Sapphire R9 390 or EVGA 970 FTW?
          1337cammy

Greetings to you and welcome to the AMD red-team forums

To be honest: NVidia really punched their community in the face with their GTX970 since the last 500MiBiBytes of the GDDR in this card have lower frequency and higher latency which slows the whole graphical memory usage down if its' really using this last 500MiBiBytes. (this is only the case if you really got plenty of high textures on a higher resolution loaded like in LotR: Shadows of Mordor).

In general the GTX970 got very minimal micro stuttering in a few games but I guess this should be driver problems and could be fixed by optimizing its' code.

A small test of this both cards could be found here.

Due to the fact that this is an AMD forum with alot of AMD-enthusiasts I guess alot of people would recommend to use an AMD card.

So do I

The R9 390 is not that clock intensive due its' higher memory-bandwith of 512bits compared to NVidias often used 256bit-interface which is, in my opinion a more stylish way to handle such a high graphical pressure.

Furthermore there are speculations about an incoming big driver wave of AMD which I mentioned a few days ago here.

And finally the last argument for an AMD card: it will handle DirectX12 alot smoother since NVidia got problems with Async shaders while AMD already announced better DX12 support for the R9 300-series compared to the 200-series (so more future oriented in general).

But Nvidia got the power consumption bandage here, since the R9 390 needs a maximum of 275 Watts while the 970 already runs at 150 watts under pressure.

Hope I could give you a good insight into the graphicscard comparison and I would still like to see how your PC is going so make sure to post your rig in this forum with a few pictures of it as well.

Regards.

2 of 2 people found this helpful
              bla

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

The ram-gate was just one example of nvidia's shady business ethics. Another example is dx12 readiness. Their 900 series cards aren't really ready for dx12. Some speculate that it's because they want people to buy their pascal architecture card when it comes out in 2016. There was also talk that they requested some reviewers to take down the dx12 results from their sites. I also just found out that they are going to require everyone to sign up with their G-force experience via their emails to get the latest drivers. Clearly they want more control over their users and would like to send advertisements directly to the user. I hope nVidia fan-boys realize how important AMDs competition is for them. A healthy competition is always great for the consumer. Personally, I am a fan of whichever company that gives me more for my money and treats me best as a customer. At this point in time, nvidia is not that company.

The higher bandwidth, larger vram, and dx12 are just a few reasons that initially got interested in the r9 390.

You are right about the power consumption but that is not much of an issue for me. It will be a few dollars extra per year. I think I'll be able to afford it .

I did look into the link you provided about the drivers. I hope it is the fix that everyone is waiting for. I will most definitely purchase an r9 390 if that is the case.

I enjoyed reading your post. Continue being awesome.

Bla

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  1337cammy

[...]

A healthy competition is always great for the consumer. Personally, I am a fan of whichever company that gives me more for my money and treats me best as a customer.

[...]

Exactly!

This is a healthy manner.

No matter what one buys, AMD, NVidia, Intel, you should gt what you pay for and what you expect to have. (Quite poetic on the IT side of life that they are Red, Green and Blue (RGB))

Shopping by brands without any closer look on all aspects can result in a "fanboy" manner quite fast.

[...]

You are right about the power consumption but that is not much of an issue for me. It will be a few dollars extra per year. I think I'll be able to afford it .

[...]

As long as you checked your PSU it should be no problem for you but if you need to buy a new powersupply now you should definetly wait for the Arctic Island GPUs next year which are more wattage efficient based than the other generations of graphics cards.

[...]

I enjoyed reading your post. Continue being awesome.

Bla

My pleasure!

Keep us up to date with your rig mate

bla

Oh! I didn't know about the Arctic Island GPU's. Thank you for bringing it up!

I'm quite interested in the concept of those GPUs. However I have to wait until summer of 2016 for those, which is a long ways away. I'll be happy with 390 when the new drivers roll out.

I'll definitely keep you guys posted with my rig!

jamesc359

It'll definitely be more than a couple dollars per year more, depending upon your gaming habits of course. Assuming that the power consumption numbers in Marcel's link is accurate, that you pay 12 cents per kWh (which is the national average here in the US) and that you play about 4 hours a day; the GTX 970 would cost $31.01 a year to operate while the R9 390 will cost you $56.24. That's a difference of $25. If you're one of those unfortunate people that pay 33 cents per kWh you're talking about $85.27 and $154.65 a year. And with that I'm seriously reconsidering my life long dream of living in Hawaii.

bla

I used http://energy.gov/energysaver/estimating-appliance-and-home-electronic-energy-use to see how much I would pay extra if I played 4 hours/day for 365 days and the difference was $20. You are right, it is double of how much I would pay for the 970. However, realistically I am not going to play every day of the year. I'll be lucky to play an hour or two per week. The price difference with low usage is pretty negligible. So I am not too worried about it. Honestly, the way nVidia is running their business as of late is making me more and more okay with giving more of my money to the electric company than supporting them.

And with that I'm seriously reconsidering my life long dream of living in Hawaii.

I know man, beautiful place but freaking expensive haha

Bla

1337cammy

Keep in mind that you CCC (Catalyst controle center) is able to limit the cards' and the CPUs' power consumption by limiting the GPU to 60 FPS max and by underclocking the CPU automaticly if it doesn't need its' full frequency.

Fpslock.jpg

Cpulock.jpg

This is really reducing your general power consumption so keep that in mind because you calculated your electricity bill with 100% pressure on each hardware component the whole time.

jamesc359

The whole driver thing has been blown way out of proportion by NVidia fanboys. Has their been issues in the past? Absolutely, but they were in the past. The latest drivers from AMD are great and there's nothing wrong with them aside from the occasional bug, however contrary to what the NVidia fanboys would have you believe even NVidia's drivers have bugs and other issues. They just don't harp on them like they do whenever AMD has a bug/issue. So take the whole driver thing with a grain of salt.

The additional power consumption is a small downside of the R9 390 and the GTX 970 can be had for around $40 less on Newegg right now. However the R9 390 is significantly more powerful and has 8GB of VRAM. Personally I'd go with the R9 390 and not just because it's an AMD card, but simply because it is the better performer in the price range.

bla

jamesc359 wrote:

The whole driver thing has been blown way out of proportion by NVidia fanboys.

You make a good point. There has been some bashing coming in from the Nvidia fanboys, however I've read complaints from AMD card owners on newegg. Most of the complaints are about drivers. I'm really hoping that the drivers will get permanently fixed this November.

You're right about the price on Newegg. The 390 has amazing Price/Performance ratio. It is noticeably more powerful than the 970 and at least 20 bucks cheaper. I'm really interested in the Sapphire model of that card.

Thank you for responding to my post!

I appreciate it!

Bla

feverstriker

Wow, a lot of useful information in this thread. Thank you all for all the stats, much appreciated.

abhishek_myth

You are good to get a R9 390 ! I has more VRAM and Bus Memory ! so it will run fine ! just have a good air situation in cabinet and a good powerful PSU as per need and u r good.

bla

Definitely! Right now I am thinking to get NZXT 340S but I may get a bigger case with better air flow. I'm also going with an EVGA Super Nova G2 750W 80+ Gold PSU to power this beast.

1337cammy

Not really needed to talk about a "beast" since the power consumption of this card is not that high compared to the old R9290 or even the Dual GPU cards like the R9 295x2 which sucks hilariously much out of your PSU.

Found a video here in which the whole system with the R9 390 sucked 442Watts under full load now imagine the framelock to 60 via Drivers and one would probably have ~400Watts power consumption with an Intel CPU.

AMD CPU probably 100 Watts more than that and keep the 80+ in mind so you choose the right PSU since ~20% of each PSU can lose its' system power by giving heat out of the system into the air while voltage conversation.

A good 80+ Gold (~90% effiiciency) 600Watts power supply should be enough for your system if you don't have a Centurion CPU (9370/9590) or any kind of plans to OC.

But make sure that it is one railed so it doesn't lose any power due to its' multi-rail over/underwattage which.

750Watts PSU is probably the right choice if you want to get new parts and they suck a little bit more amount of power, so you are safe with your PSU and don't have to replace it as well in the future.

Regards.

punk4evr

I would go with the r9 390 myself. I just think that the AMD looks nicer.... and I use both Radeon and Nvidia.  I prefer Radeon. 

crazyserb

I would rather wait for next-gen cards to appear (if waiting is not an issue). Both AMD and nV have their downsides.

Fact is that nV have better driver support, but only for their current GPUs which means you will have to buy new card every time they launch new architecture. They even remove optimizations for older GPUs which actually made them better than AMD cards in many cases.

AMD driver team is really lazy, for example, even today we cant remove ccc (catalyst control center) from context menu within ccc and UI is bad overall, I prefer radeonpro (that guy should be in AMD driver team, not in junk gaming evolved app one) over ccc even for "standard" ccc tweaks.

And again, I would always buy radeon for me because of drivers. nV faulty fan whql (MS too I guess) driver made that decision for me 5 years ago

enemymind

go for r9390...

i have gtx970 b4 change to r9390...unable to play the witcher 3 b'coz the drivers issue...need to downgrade your drivers to 350.12 if you want to play this game...sound great right? but how you want to play latest games if you not upgrade your drivers, yes r9390 have drivers issues but that was in the past, i also have problem, my monitor lost signal when gaming but turn out not drivers cause it but my HDMI cable was. my latest drivers 15.7.1 (15.20.1062.1004-150803a1-187669) work flawlessly...now i can play the witcher 3 without single crash or CTD.

Thanks AMD this card was a BEAST and i proud with it.

rob27shred

Very late to the party but I hope you went with the 390/390x. I have an XFX DD 390 & wouldn't trade it for two 970s! TBH I was in the same spot as you when picking parts for my new rig & had to decide between a 970 or 390. The fact that the 390 has the 512bit memory interface & 8GB GDDR5 (not that it needs that much ) was all it took to sell me. TBH I was looking at the 970 as a compromise card till I could get something better, with the 390 I not only got enough extra performance (it does not blow the 970 out of the water but does perform better) for it not to feel like a compromise I also got the added bonus of being able to crossfire any Hawaii GPU with it! I'm running a 390/290X crossfire setup as I type this & am loving it! If you're still trying to decide my vote is firmly for the 390/390x!

bla

Dear friends,

Thank you for helping me decide between the 970 and r9390. I finally got a r9390. Cheers to all of you.

IMG_20151118_134719.jpg1337cammy rob27shred

bla

IMG_20151207_155435.jpg

Here is the finished beast my friends.

Spec:

Asus Z97-AR

4x4 16g Corsair vengeance low profile (black)

Evga 650W SuperNova G2 Gold rated

Samsung 850 evo 250g

Fractal design Define S

And the star of the show: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 with backplate.

Thank you very much for your support my friends.

1337cammyrob27shredenemymindabhishek