AnsweredAssumed Answered

Annoying screen tearing while video playback

Question asked by kyuunex on Oct 27, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 5, 2015 by russianneuromancer

So I decided to move to Linux and of course set everything up. One of the things that annoyed me is that I get screen tearing while I'm watching videos in VLC or any video player. I'm not sure how it makes sense to get screen tearing with 24 FPS video while my screen refreshes 60 times per second, but it does.

I have 2 GPU, an AMD GPU and an Integrated Intel GPU. I find switching to Intel fixing this problem but it's really annoying that I have to reboot to switch back when I decided to do graphics intensive tasks. For example, let's say I'm on Intel GPU and I get an invite on steam to play, I just have to make them wait while I reboot, so it's really not-the-best-workaround.

Ok, how about I turn on vsync in AMD Control panel. Let's see... um..

IANGM.png

Oh wait, I can't for some reason. It's grayed out, not sure why. (Maybe we can also hope for a better control panel in the future instead of this... um... not-so-great panel?)

I also tried doing some stuff in CompizConfig control center and didn't work, maybe I did something wrong.

So anyway, you guys understand the situation. What's the best thing I can do?

Thanks

(I asked this on 2 other places, got no useful answer, maybe I can get something better straight from AMD forums? or I'm getting a graphics card from those guys with that green logo the next time I build a PC.)

Outcomes