5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2015 9:19 PM by srkelley

Sleeping Exhibitionist

srkelley

Description

Everything runs at stock settings right now, but I know that the cpu can be jumped up to a stable 4.4 Ghz. Hence, the sleeping exhibitionist. It likes to show off, but due to me not seeing a need to buy my own watercooler I get by with it sleeping. When it awakes, I'll be doubling its' ram and adding a second ssd. For now, it struggles with nothing that I play and I love it for that. This a picture of it from earlier this year. I felt slightly embarrassed about all of the dust. I cleaned it again last month, but it stays behind my tv. I'm not feeling up to moving it back out and rearranging the cables for a picture.

10690114_815237075221265_482002486307547133_n.jpg

Specifications

CPUAMD FX-8320E
      CoolerStock (for now)
      MotherboardASROCK 970EXTREME3 R2.0 ATX AM3+
      MemoryCRUCIAL 8GB 4X2 D3 1600 DIMM CL9
      Graphics2x GIGABYTE R9-270OC WF 2GB D5 PCIE
      Disc Drive 11x CRUCIAL 256GB 2.5 MX100 SSD
      Disc Drive 23x 1TB WD Desktop Mainstream 7,200 RPM SATA III 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WDBH2D0010HNC-NRSN
      Disc Drive 3
      PSUCOOLMAX 800W 80+ BRZ MOD ATX PSU
      CaseNZXT S340 BLK ATX CASE
      Monitor49" LG UHDTV 49UB8300-UG
        • Re: Sleeping Exhibitionist
          staticfx

take the side off so we can see!

adr_tech

Damn! Looks awesome!

thewalrus

Are those front fans exhausting? If they are, I'd switch them around immediately. We did a ton of testing when I used to work in a computer shop as a system builder, and found that the best way to set up airflow in a normal-ish case is to have front/floor/side panel fans intaking air through dust filters, and back/roof fans exhausting. Exhausting the hot air around the CPU socket is especially important, it does wonders for CPU, and motherboard VRM temperatures. If you can get to positive or even neutral airflow, you'll also get a lot less dust in your case, as long as your intakes are filtered.

srkelley

Sorry for the late response, thanks for the responses!

I waited until i got a new surface to move everything to since the cable situation used to be crazy.

I broke my can of air so please excuse the dust for now.

12182793_901493346595637_8418040201144173471_o.jpg

Between the initial post and today I got a new heatsink (Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo).

IMG_20151114_223048.jpgIMG_20151114_223057.jpg

You normally don't see this side of the case, but this how it manages to hide most of the cables.

IMG_20151114_223101.jpg

IMG_20151114_223251.jpg

That capture card is from my first build in 2009/10. Unfortunately the software doesn't behave right in Windows 10.

IMG_20151114_223345.jpg

IMG_20151114_233724.jpg

Those fans are exhausting if I remember that right. They rarely come on since I don't push the machine a lot. I'll force them on soon to figure that out  Thewalrus.

I also increased the ram from 8 gigs to 16. I mainly game so I know that it's mostly pointless for that. I'm teaching myself basic video editing and practicing for a January 2016 launch. I want to test out running Windows 10 under a hypervisor (xen) in Linux Mint with pci passthrough for access to the gpu's. The performance hit is supposed to be mostly negligible (at least for my gaming use-cases, approx. 3-8% drop). More specifically, I want to compare linux gaming and windows gaming performance as well as local/lan multiplayer with a single pc.

Many people dual boot, but I think that the convenience of the passthrough will negate the performance drop if you're not already cutting it close. I'd like to explore this and post my findings on youtube. I'll keep the native install for scaling comparisons, but I want to mostly focus on the hypervisor setup. I'd also like to be able to quickly check scaling (only giving the guest os 1 core, 2, 3, etc). I don't see games taking up more than about 3-4 gigs for now and they usually use 2 or 3 cores. I've had a few use up to 6 so things are changing, but I think it's cool that I can split this pc in half with software and get some quick, direct comparisons and check how it feels in practice.

srkelley

Also, the 8320e is overclocked to 4.5 Ghz now. It appears to be stable. I've only run OCCT so far. I have the pre and post results below. I'll do Prime95 when I can sit at home and monitor it for a few hours. I don't believe that I have the older prime95 results. I'll run them again at stock level just for reference if I can't find them.

I've only overclocked a processor once before and that was an athlon that unlocked to become a phenom so I think that I got lucky. If you see any cause for concern, feel free to let me know.

Pre: https://goo.gl/photos/gA3TY4BYM3zXD2Ys5