5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 3:27 PM by jakeshi

Spooky PC Games

erin.maiorino

I will be the first to admit it, I absolutely HATE being scared. I haven't been to a haunted house in about 15 years, I only watch scary movies in the comfort of my own home and I still jump into my bed at night so that a monster can't grab me. But surprisingly, I absolutely love horror games and all the gruesome, psychological twists and turns they have to offer (even if I have to watch cute puppy videos before I go to sleep).

What are some of your favorite horror PC games? Are you a fan of System Shock 2? Looking over your shoulder after you play the Silent Hill series? Sleep with a flashlight next to your bed after playing Alan Wake? Let us know what creepy games we should add to our library!

• Re: Spooky PC Games
          arcticwind

F.E.A.R. 2

Play it at night with the lights off.  Guaranteed to make your skin crawl...

Unturned (steam, free to play)

Guaranteed to make you laugh your a.. off the first time you hear a zombie growl at you...

jakeshi

Absolutely right! I played FEAR in night without lights and with headphones, and I was very very scared.

Great games are Amnesia The Dark Descent or System Shock 2 (I am scared everytime, when I remember Shodan)

abhishek_myth

The New Amnesia Games , Evil Dead old game were quite scary ! i dnt play them as i see only horror serials.

jamesc359

I've always been a fan of Left for Dead. The first entry into the series was absolutely amazing. There's nothing more terrifying than sneaking past a witch for the first time. The creepy wailing and music slowly build up the fear as the inevitable moment when you'd find her approaches. Will you manage to sneak past her undetected? That feeling of helplessness only serves to intensify the whole situation.

Many people often claim Left for Dead 2 as the superior game, but I couldn't disagree more. The first L4D had a gritty feel that appealed to me, that and the horror elements were actually present. L4D2 always seemed to be more about running and gunning than actually surviving the horror of a Zombie apocalypse. Which admittedly has its place, but I never once feared triggering the hoard, or stumbling upon the witch in L4D2.

Another great series is Dead Space. There's a lot to be said for the limited field of vision, the tight spaces and always wondering if that vent is going to burst open or will it be the pile of bodies I just passed that'll suddenly spring to life. It's gory and certainly horrific, but there's also a bit of a psychological twist that comes into play.

I think it goes without saying that all horror games are best played alone and in the dark.

erin.maiorino wrote:

(even if I have to watch cute puppy videos before I go to sleep).

I've had to do that a few times myself. I prefer adorable kittens though. If they can be courageous in the face of that non-existent monster they always seem to be fighting, surely I can muster up the courage to face the monsters that lurks in my dreams.

erin.maiorino

Looks like we will have to wait until next year for Outlast 2! Outlast 2 Will Make 'Gamers Suffer', Says Developer - IGN