AnsweredAssumed Answered

HSA software stack

Question asked by bsp2020 on Oct 24, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 by bsp2020

Hi,

I'd like to know what software stack people should use to use HSA. I've been following the development at HSA Foundation · GitHub

I thought what was required were HSA-Runtime-AMD and HSA-Drivers-Linux-AMD. There was Okra-Interface-to-HSA-Device but I think it was used for older version (HSA 1.0p?) and not used any more.

Now I hear about HSAKMT (AMD Does First Release Of HSAKMT Library As Part Of Open-Source HSA - Phoronix) and I'm not sure where that fits in the stack.

Now that HSA 1.0 compliant hardware is out and HSA software seems to be maturing, does AMD plan to release a set of software that will work together so that people who want to use HSA can get all they need from a single place? I have tried various HSA software stacks (GCC, Numba, C++AMP) and it requires that I get different pieces of software from different places and involves tweaking/copying/moving files to get them to work and the documentation are not always up to date.

It seems that every software package is trying to do a release this fall or have released a version during the past couple of month. It would be nice to be able to download set of *.deb files from a single place or set up HSA software following a single document. "Getting started with HSA" or something like that would be helpful. I see that there is a docker container for HSA but it is 8 month old. Maybe it's time for an updated version?

Thanks

Brian

Outcomes