8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 11:16 AM by jeryslo

FirePro W2100 4K@60Hz + FullHD@60Hz

jeryslo

Hi!

I am looking at official data sheet for FirePro W2100 and it states the following:

With two discrete DisplayPort outputs with DisplayPort 1.2a support, the AMD FirePro W2100 can drive one 4K display at 60

Hz or drive up to two 4K displays at 30 Hz. 4K displays and content required.

What about one display at 3840x2160@60hz and one display at 1920x1200@60Hz? Would this be doable, or would they both need to run at @30Hz?

• Re: FirePro W2100 4K@60Hz + FullHD@60Hz
          amdmatt

Hi Jernej Jerin,

EDIT - Please see Farhad's post below. It depends if your 4K Display is MST or SST.

Was my post helpful? If so, please make sure to mark it as correct/helpful where applicable.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            fsadough

It all depends on your 4K monitor. Is it a 4K MST or SST monitor. If MST then you will be limited to only one display, since W2100 has two display pipes and with MST, each display pipe will transmit 1920x2160 and creates an image of 3840x2160.

jeryslo

fsadough, so if I understand correctly it only depends on 4K monitor. Currenlty I have Dell UltraSharp U2412M, which is 1920x1200@60Hz. I have not yet bought the 4K display, but I will probably take the Dell 27 Ultra HD 4K Monitor – P2715Q. Now I have taken a look at their PDF manual for this monitor. It says that default mode for MST is off, I reckon this means the monitor is in SST mode, right? Also if I have correctly understood the MST, this is only needed when you want to run multiple monitors from one output, hence the name. All in all, given this two monitors, from the information gathered I assume I will be able to run one display at 3840x2160@60hz and one display at 1920x1200@60Hz, right?

fsadough

No, this will not work, even if you turn off MST. You need a graphics card like W4100

jeryslo

Yeah my bad just checked the specs again it sure does not say anything about Eyefinity support in W2100. I have taken a look at W4100 specs and this sounds really nice:

Equipped with four discrete mini DisplayPort outputs with DisplayPort 1.2a support and six display engines, the AMD FirePro W4100 can drive up to three 4K displays at 60 Hz or drive up to four 4K displays at 30 Hz1 . 4K displays and content required.

So I assume it would have no problem with running those two resolutions stated above. And as a bonus I would be future ready if I ever wanted to add more 4K monitors. Ok, now really the last question, which I need to get answered before I order it. Will PCIe 2.0 x16 be enough for FirePro W4100 if I ought to run previously stated configuration? What about three 4K modes?

fsadough

Although W4100 is backward compatible with PCI 2.0, you will have less bandwidth at your disposal along other missing features of PCI 3.0. Meaning whatever you will be doing will be slower, you might not see it with your own eyes as long as you run standard 2D applications.

PCI 2.0 has a bandwidth of 64 Gbit/s in a x16 slot and PCI 3.0 almost 126Gbit/s

PCI Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PCI Express 3.0[edit]

PCI Express 3.0 Base specification revision 3.0 was made available in November 2010, after multiple delays. In August 2007, PCI-SIG announced that PCI Express 3.0 would carry a bit rate of 8 gigatransfers per second (GT/s), and that it would be backward compatible with existing PCI Express implementations. At that time, it was also announced that the final specification for PCI Express 3.0 would be delayed until Q2 2010.[31] New features for the PCI Express 3.0 specification include a number of optimizations for enhanced signaling and data integrity, including transmitter and receiver equalization, PLL improvements, clock data recovery, and channel enhancements for currently supported topologies.[32]

Following a six-month technical analysis of the feasibility of scaling the PCI Express interconnect bandwidth, PCI-SIG's analysis found that 8 gigatransfers per second can be manufactured in mainstream silicon process technology, and can be deployed with existing low-cost materials and infrastructure, while maintaining full compatibility (with negligible impact) to the PCI Express protocol stack.

PCI Express 3.0 upgrades the encoding scheme to 128b/130b from the previous 8b/10b encoding, reducing the bandwidth overhead from 20% of PCI Express 2.0 to approximately 1.54% (= 2/130). This is achieved by a technique called "scrambling" that applies a known binary polynomial to a data stream in a feedback topology. Because the scrambling polynomial is known, the data can be recovered by running it through a feedback topology using the inverse polynomial. PCI Express 3.0's 8 GT/s bit rate effectively delivers 985 MB/s per lane, practically doubling the lane bandwidth relative to PCI Express 2.0.[22]

On November 18, 2010, the PCI Special Interest Group officially published the finalized PCI Express 3.0 specification to its members to build devices based on this new version of PCI Express.[33]

jeryslo

That is all I wanted to know. I will be running only standard 2D applications for software development so there is no need for extra bandwidth available in PCIe 3.0. Therefore the W4100 looks like an excellent choice for that.

Thank you for your answers! I have marked one of your answer that pertains to my original question as the correct one.