AnsweredAssumed Answered

My second GPU is at 99% usage while idle. Nothing is fixing it.

Question asked by surge360 on Oct 22, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 22, 2015 by amdmatt

For whatever reason whenever I start up my computer my second GPU is always at 99% usage while idle.

Specs:

AMD Radeon 6950 (2 of them)

i7 x980 @3.33GHz

Driver version: 13.251.9001.1001

-reason why my drivers are not up to date is because this is the version that works with a recording software I use to record videos. It doesn't matter what driver i'm on my GPU2 will always be at 99% usage whenever I start up my computer

The only way I have been able to fix this problem is to disable ULPS in regedit and restart my computer. The thing is though after I restart my computer everything is going good UNTIL I shut it off again. After I shut off my computer and turn it back on my GPU2 goes back up to 99% usage even with every ULPS option set to 0 in regedit.

The only other way I have been able to fix this problem is if I manually "update" my drivers by going into Device Manager, press "update driver" and just select the same version of my current drivers. Once I do that my GPU2 usage stops being constantly at 99%.

I seriously have no idea what this problem is. I've run Malwarebytes, Avast, everything. If I go to task manager there are no programs that are hogging my CPU at all so I literally have no clue what the hell the problem is.

It would be really great if someone could help me out on this because having to just manually install my drivers again everytime I start up my computer just so my GPU2 doesn't run at 99% is completely stupid.

Outcomes