18 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2016 11:45 AM by ranger853

FirePro V4900 cannot work properly on Windows 10

emeraldbian

It has been two months since I upgraded the new Windows 10 on my desktop equipped AMD FirePro V4900 1G DDDR5. Everything works perfectly until a week ago. There is a system notice at the right corner saying "Graphic driver failed to start,  use Microsoft basic display driver instead" always appear on the screen. When I checked the dxdiag.exe, the display card was automatically switched to the Microsoft basic display driver instead. After that, I have the problem of display with flickering and flashing while opening up any new windows. I uninstalled and reinstalled the lasted AMD graphic driver through the device manager but that didn't help me out. Actually I cannot uninstall the AMD graphics and controller center smoothly, which always get "critical error" freezing on the display and then I had to reboot the computer. The last time I installed the lasted AMD graphics driver (edition 15.200.1045) directly downloaded from the AMD sites, which is different from the edition (15.200.1060) I got through clicking the "Update driver" on the Device Manager. Help me out! The display keeps flashing.

• Re: FirePro V4900 cannot work properly on Windows 10
          fsadough

1. Please try to do a clean uninstall using Display Driver Uninstaller from guru3d.com
          Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 15.5.1.0

2. Reinstall AMD driver 15.20.1045
          http://support.amd.com/de-de/download/workstation?os=Windows+10+-+64#catalyst-pro

emeraldbian

It doesn't work. Today the device manager updates automatically the graphics driver to edition 15.201.**** which is totally different what I've seen the latest edition 15.200.1045 offered by AMD sites for V4900.  And then my computer crashes out as expected. LOL I did what you advised via the little tool and reinstalled the 15.200.1045 because AMD official website states 15.200.1045 is the latest edition for V4900.

amdmatt

Hi Emerald Bian,

I believe i have a solution to this problem of Windows 10 overwriting your driver.

Please use the following link to disable automatic driver updates in Windows 10. Additionally, please make sure get updates for other Microsoft products is not enabled.

Untitled.jpg

Please uninstall all AMD Drivers using the following guide. http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU57RemoveOldGraphicsDrivers.aspx

Step 1> Go to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Step 2> Scroll down to manually select your driver

Step 3> Select Workstation Graphics

Step 4> Select Your Graphics Card Family from the list (Firepro 3D Series)

Step 5> Select Your Specific Graphics Card (V4900)

Step 6> Select your Operating System (Win 10)

Step 7> Click Display results

Step 8> Download 15.20.1045

Please install our Graphics Drivers following this guide.  http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/catalyst-windows-install.aspx

Has that resolved the problem?

Was my post helpful? If so, please make sure to mark it as correct/helpful where applicable.

emeraldbian

I did stop the automatic update. But the "Graphics driver started to failed" still always appear on the display especially when I opened the Device Manager. That seems like none of the drivers are able to work properly with Win 10 after my upgrade. I installed and uninstall and drivers again and again and again. Maybe I should try the Windows 7 drivers? LOL Anyway thank you for the advice.

fsadough

I have installed V4900 with no issues on Windows 10. Please check your OS. make sure you do the Windows 10 updates first before installing V4900 AMD driver.

emeraldbian

My OS is updated. Still cannot solve the driver problem. LOL

fsadough

Please check your system. I do not have full info of your system, your configuration, your BIOS settings and so on, so I can't make any comments. All I can tell you that V4900 works flawless on Win 10 using our latest web driver. The system is running on my desk for the past month, however the Workstation features are not implemented yet.

mikemul

hi , i have had driver issues with both the V4900 + V7900 since updating to windows 10 in particular with photoshop cc . I had tried everything all to no avail . about 6 weeks ago i gave up and a friend gave me a GTX 970 . Drivers loaded up and the card performed so well , exceptional  , really a gaming card v the much more expensive AMD firepros ... . Superb card . I then saw that AMD had recently updated their windows 10 drivers so i took out the GTX 970 and put back in the V4900 but alas AMD do seem to be struggling unless i am missing something obvious , which is always a possibility . Its back to familar ground with photoshop not seeing or recognizing the ability of the V4900 regarding GPU accl / vRAM  , so that in photoshop that option is greyed out and also then i get a warning on opening an image in photoshop that it cant detect the vRAM so certain features from photoshop wont work .

I have uninstalled + reinstalled AMD drivers and photoshop , everything is up to date . I have attached system info + two screen grabs , driver info + the photoshop warning on opening an image .

any suggestions greatly appreciated .

dr1.jpgps1.jpg

OS Name             Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Version                10.0.10586 Build 10586

Other OS Description     Not Available

OS Manufacturer             Microsoft Corporation

System Name    MIKEMULS-PC

System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.

System Model   Precision WorkStation 690

System Type      x64-based PC

System SKU       

Processor            Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5365  @ 3.00GHz, 2993 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

Processor            Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X5365  @ 3.00GHz, 2993 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date          Dell Inc. A08, 4/25/2008

SMBIOS Version               2.3

Embedded Controller Version   255.255

BIOS Mode         Legacy

BaseBoard Manufacturer             Dell Inc.

BaseBoard Model            Not Available

BaseBoard Name             Base Board

Platform Role    SOHO Server

Secure Boot State            Unsupported

PCR7 Configuration        Binding Not Possible

Windows Directory         C:\WINDOWS

System Directory             C:\WINDOWS\system32

Boot Device       \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Locale   United States

Hardware Abstraction Layer       Version = "10.0.10586.0"

User Name         mikemuls-PC\mikemul

Time Zone          GMT Standard Time

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)            32.0 GB

Total Physical Memory  32.0 GB

Available Physical Memory         28.7 GB

Total Virtual Memory    32.2 GB

Available Virtual Memory           28.7 GB

Page File Space                200 MB

Page File             C:\pagefile.sys

Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions              Yes

Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions               No

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware    No

Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection      Yes

fsadough

This is the first time you mention Photoshop functionality. As I mentioned you can get V4900 in Windows 10 to work with no issues. I have the system running on my desk. HOWEVER, if you need workstation features, which are required in Photoshop then you need to wait for the official certified Win 10 drivers with all workstation features enabled. Please read the release notes, it clearly states that workstation features are NOT enabled with this driver. Major ISVs have not switched to Windows 10 yet, therefore, it will take a while for AMD to implement the workstation features.

mikemul

hi fsadough , many thanks for your very definitive answer , that really clears it up for me . You have though probably mistaken me for the original post from emeraldbian at the top of this page , he mentions nothing about photoshop and his issues are not mine. I had actually posted some months ago the issues i had with windows 10 / photoshop and the AMD drivers but got no reply , i have seen on the forum and elsewhere that there are others out here like me with the same issues , seems we jumped into windows 10 too soon ....

Delighted you have your V4900 running on windows 10 with no problems , it would seem though that its probably a little overkill with the V4900 card when it was designed for more powerful computing . Shame really to think that the firepro series , from the W9100 down to the S400 must be in a similar scenario as they all use the same unofficial / unified driver and cant be used yet to their full potential on windows 10 with the softwares they were designed to perform on .

when you say it going to take a while i will take that to mean that i wont most likely see an official driver this year or at the very least very late in the year . I have a new custom build workstation on order and the GPU will be the card i mentioned in the previous post and both my AMD V4900 + V7900 will go to new homes hopefully !

Best of luck to all at AMD , i hope the party is not over by the time ye get there ...

fsadough

Oh sorry about the confusion, my mistake. We will certainly come up with fully featured Windows 10 drivers for our supported FirePro graphics cards very soon, Much sooner than late this year.

mikemul

That sounds very positive . i may well hang onto the V7900 on the strength of that .

mike

ranger853

I have been using the FirePro V4900 for a few years with no problems.  I bought the card mainly to use for SketchUp and have never had any issues until I upgraded to Windows 10.  I can open SketchUp Make 2016 but cannot print or save any documents unless I disable Hardware Acceleration.  I read that the FirePro W4100 was a newer replacement for the V4900 so I purchased that card and installed it on my computer.  Interestingly, both cards use the same Beta Unified Driver--15.201.2401.  My computer won't even boot up with that card.  I get an Auto Detect message that flashes on and off.  So I took that card out and put back in the V4900, which works fine, except for SketchUp.

When I installed the driver for the W4100 card, I selected Windows 10-64 bit as the operating system assuming that the card would work with Windows 10.  I am not sure where the problem lies.  I uninstalled all AMD software prior to installation.  I have the latest BIOS and all the latest windows updates.

Computer: Dell XPS 8500 3rd Generation i7 processor

BIOS version: A12

RAM: 16GB

Monitor: Dell E248WFP

emeraldbian

WOW thank you guys for the interest on my problems. Hey Ranger how do I know my BIOS is on the latest? My computer is still stuck in the mud.

ranger853

If you have a Dell computer, the BIOS version can be accessed by pressing F2 several times after seeing the Dell logo when you boot up.  On the main tab of the Setup Utility screen, you will see BIOS Revision and Build Date.  You can compare that information to the latest revision on the Dell website Drivers and Downloads page, according to your system service tag number.  Dell also has a utility you can install called Dell Update that supposedly checks for the latest updates.

fsadough

Please read the release note of Windows 10 driver for our FirePro prodcuts. Workstation features are not supported yet. According to DELL website, Windows 10 is not officially supported for XPS 8500. If the W4100 doesn't boot up with your system, it's most likely a BIOS issue. Do u have an onboard graphics? If yes, disable it.

ranger853

What Dell says is that the XPS 8500 has not been tested to be compatible with Windows 10.  Microsoft encouraged installation of Win 10 on my system sending a YOU'RE GOOD TO GO message.  And it seems to be working for the most part.

I don't have on-board graphics.  I just have the AMD FirePro V4900 in a PCIe x16 slot.  I am wondering if my 10 year old Dell E248WFP monitor might be causing issues.  It works fine with the V4900 but not the W4100 card.  The last available driver update was from 2007.