AnsweredAssumed Answered

5450 driver issues

Question asked by cymro on Oct 19, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 24, 2015 by cymro

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to the forum as I'm having some issues with my Radeon 5450 graphics board.

My system consists of an Asus Crosshair II board, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3.01GHz CPU, 8Gb OCZ DDR2 gold gaming RAM, Trust 520W power supply and 2.2 Tb in 5 SATA drives running Windows 7 Ultimate.

I built the system up in September 2014 - I'd been gathering the parts over a couple of years and it ran great until about August this year, then started getting difficult to boot. Finally it refused point-blank to boot so I tried the Repair disk I'd created. Eventually the system said it couldn't repair itself so I re-installed Windows on its own dedicated 300 Gb hard disk - that way I could protect my data.

I can't find the install disk which came with the 5450 so I looked on the internet and found the latest driver but when I installed it the computer kept re-booting when I used certain graphic-heavy programs. I uninstalled it and found an earlier driver - 2012 IIRC - which works better but the screen keeps going blank and when it re-appears it's on a different resolution. Keeps doing it - can be once every 5 minutes or once every couple of hours but always switches resolution.

Is this a known issue with this combination, or are there any different drivers which might work better?

Any ideas, please?

Outcomes