AnsweredAssumed Answered

HP Pavilion dv7-6c50ca laptop, AMD graphics card is not being used, despite switchable graphics seemingly working.

Question asked by yapity on Oct 18, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 29, 2015 by kingfish

I have a HP Pavilion dv7-6c50ca

and the graphics card inside I'm having trouble with is a Radeon (TM) HD 7690M XT. It also has the embedded intel graphics.

When I was in Windows 7, which was the original OS, that's the model number the device manager showed. Now that I've installed Windows 10, the device manager shows AMD Radeon HD 6700M series. Not unreasonable, since the HD 7690 was very similar to one graphics card from the 6700 series, just a slight upgrade, but the point is it's not recognizing it properly.

I've installed the new catalyst software and enabled dynamic graphics in the BIOS, and it seems to be working, it's there and I can change the settings, but I can't get any programs to recognize or use the Radeon card. When I run Fallout: New Vegas and go into the graphics options, it only sees the intel gpu.

There doesn't seem to be an appropriate driver for it yet, there's one for windows 8.1 but nothing else. Please advise.

*update: I saw someone else with a similar laptop and issue and tried that fix, it involved totally uninstalling the AMD driver and catalyst control center which I did, then rebooting, then installing the latest driver for my graphics card, which I did, and rebooting. Same issue I still occurring.

Please help, I can't use any of my higher end programs until the amd card starts working and I can't switch back to windows 7 again. In windows 7 my network adapter is no longer recognized, as in the computer does not even register that it's plugged in. Plus I'm loving windows 10. My laptop is only around 3 years old, it should still be supported.

Outcomes