AnsweredAssumed Answered

Black screen on facebook (firefox) with latest AMD drivers.

Question asked by admad on Oct 16, 2015

Hello,

Yes, it's correct, the brilliant AMD drivers are so bad that they don't even work with web browser...

On to the problem, whenever I open firefox and go facebook, when someone messages me or I open a messenger window the web browser screen goes black (only videos are shown, if they are present on main page). Resizing firefox to smaller windows temporairly fixes the problem. It was driving me nuts, I checked so many possibilities, I thought it's firefox fault. But no, when I uninstall AMD drivers, or used integrated INTEL GPU everything was fine. So I was thinking, maybe older Catalyst drivers will work, and yes, in fact they did...I'm now using 14.11 beta drivers and they work fine. What's more funny is that they don't officially support Windows 10, which I'm running... (I did a clean install of Windows 10, the problem was gone for few hours, then something happened when browsing, there were some artifacts, screen going black, AMD display driver not responding, and after that I can't use facebook on firefox with new AMD drivers, RIDICULOUS!)

I'm really fed up with AMD Radeon R9 290, I've had so many problems from the start it's unbelievieble. I even had to send the card on warranty because after few months it crashed 5 min after playing a demanding game, longer benchmarks were crashing as well. The card came back from service with note that it's working fine and that they did nothing (what's interesting after it came back it didn't crash in game)... I was pissed, but now I wonder, what if the card is fine and the fault is in shitty AMD drivers? I will try to play long enough to see if it will crash on the 14.11 drivers...

My PC:

CPU:: Intel Core i7-4790

GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 290 DirectCUII OC

PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE 630W 80+ Bronze

RAM: 16GB G.Skill TridentX 2400MHz

MoBo: GIGABYTE Z97-D3H LGA1150

I wasted so much time trying to fix issues with this card, that I'm starting to think that the best solution is to sell it and go for GeForce...

Outcomes