AnsweredAssumed Answered

Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Windows 10 driver on HP Pavilion dv6-3160eb

Question asked by stimmermans on Oct 15, 2015

Hey guys,

I've been searching all over for a solution here, so far none of the drivers I tried have improved the situation.

First of all, I would like to say I acknowledge that my laptop is far from cutting edge and I accept that the upgrade to Windows 10 was at my own risk. I just thought I'd make a last-ditch effort to get this out of the way.

The laptop in question is an HP Pavilion dv6-3160eb (Belgian variant of the dv6-3160us). Every driver works without issue, except the one for the Mobility Radeon HD 5650 the device comes with.

I have made two hardware modifications to my device: one is an upgrade to 8 GBs of RAM from the default 4GB, the other is the removal of the optical drive and having replaced it with an HDD caddy in which I inserted a 2.5" HDD I had laying around (was planning to upgrade this in the future to an SSD)

I'm facing two issues with the driver. The first and foremost is that I cannot boot the device with the AMD driver enabled in device manager. The screen flickers blue and black when the Windows login screen should be appearing (which it doesn't), forcing me to boot into safe mode first, disable the driver, reboot in normal mode and re-enable the driver.

The second, less important issue is that the HDMI port does not function at all. A minor setback I can live with, the VGA port is still fully functional.

I've tried all kinds of drivers (making sure each time to purge any previous drivers). Windows 7 and 8 drivers didn't give me much luck, as Windows breaks off the installation and throws a compatibility error.

Frankly, I'm out of ideas here. Has anyone got any experience with AMD GPUs on an HP laptop running Windows 10?

Outcomes