5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 20, 2015 10:33 AM by warpfact0r10

How do I lubricate the fan on my A10-5800K cpu

acharn

I bought the components for a computer two years ago, intending to assemble them myself. The company I bought them from fortunately assembled them for me and I've been very happy with the performance since. Starting about six months ago I noticed a whining noise when I turn the computer on in the morning. After about two minutes the sound fades away, and it doesn't recur until I've turned the computer off for an hour or two (which I almost never do). When I opened up the case I could identify the source a the cooling fan on the cpu. I found several videos on Youtube showing how to lubricate computer fans, but when I peel back the warranty sticker on the fan there is no oil reservoir there, only a metal central shaft with the plastic fan tightly bound to it. Since I've lifted the sticker up I suppose I've voided the warranty, but I'd like to know if there's any way to lubricate the fan myself or must I buy a new one?

• Re: How do I lubricate the fan on my A10-5800K cpu
          warpfact0r10

You may have to take the fan off the heat sink in order to lubricate it from the underside. Can you post a photo of what you have so we might be better able to assist? It is also possible that lubricating it won't solve the issue. We can provide recommendations on fan and/or heat sink replacements if necessary.

• Re: How do I lubricate the fan on my A10-5800K cpu
              acharn

Sorry for the delay. Real live intervened. Attached are two images, one with the sticker in place, one with it lifted up to show the lack of an oil reservoir. I was hoping the picture of the sticker would show the lettering on it, but I am not skillful enough with my camera. There's lettering that might be a brand, the letters "s t r e k." In front of them is some kind of logo that might be a stylized letter "o". The box that the CPU assembly came in is labeled Part # AD580KWOHJBOX.

The buzzing or whining sound that I hope to fix has something to do with the unit having cooled off. After about two minutes it fades away and after that the fan is virtually silent. The screws holding the fan to the heat sink are deeply recessed and I would have to buy a smaller screwdriver to remove them. That's not a problem in itself, but I figure an artifact like this has been carefully designed and engineered to reduce the chance of breaking it. I'm comfortable poking around inside the box, and if somebody reassures me I'm willing to try removing it, but I wonder if just buying a new fan assembly might be the better approach. The company that assembled this machine for me is still in business and perhaps I haven't voided the warranty. Even if I have to pay, this is not a huge amount of money we're looking at.

IMG_1860.JPG

IMG_1861.JPG