AnsweredAssumed Answered

Windows 10 driver upgrade black screen

Question asked by robinhood2016 on Oct 13, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 by amdmatt

I've tried to run Windows Update on Windows 10 a number of times now, and it says an update is available for my AMD Radeon HD 7340 driver, dated 8/21/2015. I include the date here, because the installed driver is from 8/3/2015, which works correctly, and when I run Windows Update to install the updated driver, the screen will flicker and go to black. I can move the mouse around and see the pointer as it moves, but from there, I am completely stuck. My only recourse is to do a hard shutdown, boot into safe mode, and then use Device Manager to roll back the driver to 8/3/2015.

Now, however, it seems this issue has not been resolved, because Microsoft has released a new Windows 10 Insider build, which I tried to download and install and which apparently includes the faulty driver in its base installation. After the initial reboot, the actual upgrade process gets up to about 32% -- after which the whole mess starts all over again. The screen flickers and goes black, and this time there's no mouse pointer to move. Again, I have to do a hard shutdown, causing my computer to roll back to the previous build.

I hope we can get this issue resolved soon so I can continue to enjoy everything that Windows 10 has to offer, at least for as long as I can with the computer hardware that I currently have (it has been suggested that it's time for me to put my current machine out to pasture and buy a new one).

Cheers,

Brandon Taylor

Outcomes