3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 14, 2015 5:57 AM by bulldurham

A Series APU's and memory allocation

bulldurham

I have an A10 4600m in my laptop and wanted to know what is the maximum amount of memory it will allocate to graphics? There seems to be no information on this. It says it has 512MB but has run games requiring 1GB and higher.

• Re: A Series APU's and memory allocation
          t77chevy

check the specs for the laptop as it normally states this default setting , an a10 is an apu and normally you can set x amount of system ram as vram for the igpu in bios

bulldurham

The laptop has no video memory control in the BIOS and therefore does it automatically. I have read some people say it will allocate up to 3GB to video memory if you have enough RAM on your system. As far as HP goes I would not rely on them for information since they don't seem to know any more about their own systems than what is in the original manual from before updates in BIOS. They also seem to have no idea how the processors use memory. They claim my laptop has a memory ceiling of 8GB but I have seen information that it can go up to 16GB from the same source where I found out I could upgrade my A6 - 4400m APU to an A10 - 4600m. I am seriously confused why AMD doesn't push this point in their advertisements because if they can use up to 3GB of system memory if you have enough RAM then it would thrash the i series laptops using intel graphics which suck even if they had more memory. Someone said the 512mb in the system info changes if you upgrade to 16GB which I have seen no verification on but that would be  amazing. I am ordering another 4GB to bring my system up to 8GB and will be looking for affordable prices on 2x8GB memory cards .. when I eventually do I will mention it on here.

bulldurham

I installed another 4GB of 1600 memory which not only put it in dual channel mode but made the system lightning fast. I was able to play Fallout 4 smoothly on medium settings which it couldn't do before because everything acted like it was walking in quicksand. I searched some old HP manuals for some of the other computers running the same series of APU's and they list video memory as "up to 4085 mb" so that answers how much onboard RAM can be used for VRAM. The memory ceiling is also supposed to be 16GB.