AnsweredAssumed Answered

Graphics Display Crashes Yet Computer Does Not

Question asked by jaydsz on Oct 11, 2015

When my computer crashes, typically the computer still runs while terminating the display for graphics (black screen).

Running the stress test on MSI Kombustor only lasts me roughly 30 sec - 2 minutes while staying <= 75C

Specs:

AZZA Dynamo 850W ATX & EPS 12V 2.91 SLI  - - PSU

AMD FX-9590 Vishera 220W - - CPU

ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula Z  990FX - - Motherboard

HyperX Savage 8GB - - RAM

MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB - - GPU

When running the MSI Kombustor stress test the GPU reaches 100% usage and as stated above doesn't climb higher than 75C leading me to think the issue does not lie within the PSU.

INSTANCES: I can run most games but for some of the more graphically demanding games like ARK, the computer itself will sometimes crash on the lowest settings possible - generally just a crash for the game itself though stating that the video card drivers might be out of date (which they aren't). Turning up the graphics setting in ARK will cause the game to crash in the same manner much more quickly.

My computer does the same thing for Counter Strike but a lot less often which is shocking to me.

If my computer crashes, I have to physically pull the plug on the power supply and wait for the power to my motherboard to die out before plugging it back in and restarting which is also very shocking and weird to me.

If just the graphics crash, I can just hit the restart button.

Please help me someone, I spent too much on this build for it to run like a box of turds.

How do I make it so i don't experience crashes and can (hopefully) run on higher settings than the lowest.

Outcomes