7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2015 11:50 AM by famtheguy

Unable to update driver from HD6400 to HD6450, as previously

famtheguy

Hi

Recently I've noticed poor framerate in video games, as well as a black screen and crash (resulting in a pop-up reading "AMD Display driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered", when attempting to save the game in "Cities: Skylines"). I tried to download latest drivers from the AMD Download Drivers page, using the Auto-detect tool and Catalyst; as well as using beta drivers, but the issues still remained. Then I tried to update the driver by going in Windows 7's "Device manager", resulting in my HD6400 driver showing up as HD6450. I assumed this was an error on Windows' part, but upon playing the games I previously had issues with, they ran with seemingly better framerate, and my previous issues with crashes were resolved. However, the 6450 driver still showed up as being from 2011, so when I tried to update it to a more recent version using Catalyst, the driver reverted to 6400 - and my previous issues with the driver came back. I've since then tried to uninstall the driver using Device Manager and the AMD "Clean up utility", and install the new 6400 driver to attempt to update it through Device Manager again, but Windows and Catalyst both state that my 6400 driver is "up to date". Is there any way to run my computer with the 6450 drivers, or did I simply experience some very unusual error?

Thanks.

• Re: Unable to update driver from HD6400 to HD6450, as previously
          kingfish

In order to get any meaningful support for your issue, the following information is requested:

LAPTOPS:

Laptop manufacturer

Laptop exact model number

Operating system? Is this the original OS?

Processor

Graphics chip (card)

Switchable graphics? (AMD + Intel or AMD + AMD)

When did this issue first appear?

What steps have you taken to correct the issue?

Have you searched Windows Update for relevant 'optional'updates?

DESKTOPS:

Operating system

Processor

Graphics card(s) ( exact card..not the series)

Overclocking?

Power Supply ( wattage,manufacturer, and model number )

Have you checked for a Motherboard bios update?

Windows Update current? 'Optional' updates installed?

When did the issue first appear?

Steps you have taken to correct the issue

famtheguy

Operating system

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, Service Pack 1

Processor

Intel Atom D2550 1.86GHz

Graphics card(s) ( exact card..not the series)

Currently a 512MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6400 (even though it should be a 6450) Series for Lenovo - not sure what you mean by "exact"

Overclocking?

Nope

Power Supply ( wattage,manufacturer, and model number )

65W AC Adapter, Lenovo, model PA-1650-52LC

Have you checked for a Motherboard bios update?

Checked on Lenovo's site, nothing for my Q180

Windows Update current? 'Optional' updates installed?

Done the optionals, no effect (they were 8 for Windows, one for my Dell monitor)

When did the issue first appear?

First time a few months ago, "updated" my 6400 to a 6450, tried to update it to a more recent 6450, couldn't, and had to uninstall and reinstall the 6400. For some reason I managed to update it to a 6450 2 days ago, but I can't repeat it now no matter what steps I take:

Steps you have taken to correct the issue

• Update my 6400 through Device Manager again; Windows claims it is "up to date"
              • Use device manager, browse my computer for driver software > pick from a list of device drivers on my computer > untick "show compatible software" (otherwise only the 6400 and the standard VGA adapter show up) > select "AMD Radeon 6400" > Next; "driver selected for this device does not support this version of Windows"
              • Uninstall the 6400 through AMD Clean-up utility, install the latest Catalyst Install Manager, use it to install display devices; still installs 6400
              • Use Autodetect utility; claims my 6400 is up to date
              • Go into program files and features > select Catalyst Manager > change > tried uninstall, repair, and express uninstall; reinstallation of Catalyst gives me the 6400
              • Install beta drivers of Catalyst; gives me the 6400 regardless
              • Install old versions of Catalyst on 3rd party sites; still gives me a 6400

Honestly out of ideas at this point, and don't know why I managed to do it a few months ago but couldn't repeat it after that, until I tried again recently, but can't repeat it again as well.

kingfish

Generally, when you update a graphics driver from the manufacturer, you have a exact graphics description...ie, 6450. When you update your graphics driver through AMD, you get the generic name, ie, 6400 SERIES. The key word is Series...which includes the 6450. So that's nothing to be concerned with.

In the device manager under 'display', do you show a Intel graphics as well as a AMD graphics? Are there any yellow marks?

Try updating the graphics driver using the 'clean install' method .

famtheguy

The Device Manager says "6400 Series", and AMD's Auto Detect also says "6xxxx" (as opposed to "6400" and "6450" as it did sometime before). In Device Manager, I only see the AMD 6400 Series (as well as only "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" when I've uninstalled AMD). There's no yellow caution signs.

I've tried the "clean install" method, trying:

• "Express uninstall ALL" in Programs and Features, reboot into safe mode, use DDU, reboot, install Catalyst 15.7.1, reboot;
                  • "Express uninstall ALL", reboot into safe mode, use AMD's "Clean up", reboot, reboot into safe mode, use DDU, reboot, install Catalyst, reboot;
                  • "Express uninstall ALL", reboot into safe mode, use DDU, reboot, use AMD's "Clean up", reboot, install Catalyst, reboot

But each time I keep getting 6400 Series, and I still experiences the old framerate issues and crashes as before.

I had a similar problem, but it worked fine for the previous version of this driver: "AMD Catalyst™ 11.8 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver". Here are the steps to download and install it:

Download the AMD Catalyst™ 11.8 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver

wget http://www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-11-8-x86.x86_64.run

If you don't have 'wget', install it by

sudo apt-get install wget 

Make it executable, if not already chmod +x ati-driver-installer-11-8-x86.x86_64.run  style="margin-bottom:1em"

Run it and follow on-screen instructions to install the driver sudo ./ati-driver-installer-11-8-x86.x86_64.run  style="margin-bottom:1em"

Hope this helps! Android training in chennai | Software Testing Training in Chennai