8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2015 11:51 AM by crenando

15.9.1b Driver Crash - R9 390x, Windows 10 x64 Pro

crenando

I bought a 390x (XFX Double Dissipation) on launch day to replace my now-broken 290x. Everything was going great until I switched over to Windows 10 (x64, Professional). Ever since then I've been getting messages in intensive games such as GTA V or the Star Wars Battlefront Beta claiming that "the display driver has crashed and recovered," or something along the lines, while my game freezes. I saw online that a number of users reported that 15.9.1b solved this problem, but this isn't the case for me.

MY SYSTEM

This is obviously incredibly frustrating for someone who spent as much as I did on their graphics card. It isn't even necessarily the fault of AMD since I'm seeing a lot of Nvidia users with similar issues. Any help is very welcome.

Thanks in advance.

• Re: 15.9.1b Driver Crash - R9 390x, Windows 10 x64 Pro

Highlights of AMD Catalyst™ 15.9 Beta Windows Driver

Performance Optimizations

Star Wars™: Battlefront Beta - Performance and quality optimizations

Fable Legends : Includes the latest DirectX® 12 optimizations for the Fable Legends: Benchmark

Resolved Issues:

[59474] Diablo 3 crashes in the Act 2 Desolate Sands area of the game

[59081] The AMD Catalyst Control Center 'update' option fails to download the latest driver

[58800] Dragon Age: Inquisition may crash if launched in Mantle mode

[58781] The DirectX® Diagnostic tool does not report DirectX® 12 available on supported products

[58677] World of Warships may crash on some AMD Radeon HD5000 and HD6000 series products

[58646] Assassin's Creed® Unity may experience minor frame stutter when AMD CrossFire™ mode is enabled

[58485] Anti Aliasing settings not being retained after changes are applied

[58450] Some BENQ 144hz Freesync™ monitors may lose the signal while uninstalling the driver

[58495] DiRT Rally™ crashes during gameplay and benchmarking when launched in DirectX® 11 mode on some BENQ 144HZ Freesync monitors

Known Issues:

[57189] GTA V crashes on some AMD Radeon R9 390X GPU's

[76899] Star Wars: Battlefront Bata - Flickering may be experience if AMD Crossfire is enabled

[56099] Corruption may occur in DiRT Rally™ with CMAA enabled with Portrait SLS and AMD CrossFire™ mode enabled

[59792] A black screen may be encountered on bootup on Windows 10 systems. The system will ultimately continue to the Windows login screen.

[76930] Intermittent playback issues with Cyberlink PoweDVD when connecting to a 3D display with an HDMI cable

[76924] A TDR error may be experienced while toggling between minimized and maximized mode while viewing 4K Youtube content

[59475] Elite: Dangerous - poor performance may be experienced in SuperCruise mode

[59298] Final Fantasy XIV - Heavensward may crash when run in DirectX 11® mode and borderless window mode

[58870] Some applications may fail to launch on some Mobility platforms when launched in High Performance mode

[425417] Windows 10 driver installation may halt on some systems with an AMD 990FX chipset and AMD CrossFire™ enabled

[58506] Mad Max - Color corruption is observed when Alt+Ctrl+Del is pressed followed by the Escape key

AMD Catalyst 15.9 Beta Driver for Windows

cfuser

I've also noticed artifacting on The Witcher 3. Flashing infrequently like it's going to crash. Not dissimilar in look to an unstable overclock. Any one else having this issue?

I've tested with other profiles, and experienced no similar artifacting (albeit poorer performance.) Which leads me to believe that the default profile is bugged in some way?

Definitely playable, just detracts from the experience.

Edit: Disabling VSync seems to have solved the artifacting - Could also have something to do with Frame Pacing - Unsure

anvi

Only remedy I've been able to find is running games in full screen mode. It's highly annoying, but no choice.

If you are running Raptr/Plays, then even full screen mode wont help.

On my rig, borderless windowed mode will crash the display drivers in all recent games: StarWars Battlefront, Metal Gear Solid 5 TPP, Black Desert Online, FF XIV Heavensward.

MGSV is more stable than the others, but driver still crashes sometimes.

15.9.1 Catalyst

Powercolor R9 390 PCS+ 8GB (stock clocks)

Asus X79 Sabertooth

Intel i7 3930k (stock clocks)

16GB DDR3 2400MHz RipJawsX

SuperFlower 850W Golden King Platinum

avalon_snow

Yep! unfortunately, the only way to remedy this issue for now is to run all the DX11 games in full screen mode. It's annoying for a person with a multi-monitor system like my self, but it's not a big deal really. Regardless, this has been a know issue for a WHILE now, and AMD has done nothing to fix it. THAT is not Ok. you hear me AMD? That is not Ok! I'm all for team Red and all, but get your stuff together damn it!