8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 14, 2015 7:20 AM by jo2806

How can I fix the following BSOD: "system exception thread not handled (atikmdag.sys)"? ...while trying to start a game on win10 with a mixed 3 r9 290 card´s crossfire

jo2806

Hello, out there,

I´m running the following System:

Intel I7 4820 K

Sapp. R9 290X Vapor-X 8Gb

Sapp. R9 290 Tri-X OC 4Gb

Sapp. R9 290 VaporX 4Gb

Win 10

Catalyst 15.9.1 Beta

With Win 8.1 this mixed Crossfire setup, even with three different Bios´ was possible, since the upgrade, with Win 10, after enabling crossfire, and starting any game, this bluescreen shows up an my PC hits full brake.

Can anybody explain to me , what the problem is? Is there a way to fix it?

Joachim

• Re: How can I fix the following BSOD: "system exception thread not handled (atikmdag.sys)"? ...while trying to start a game on win10 with a mixed 3 r9 290 card´s crossfire
          nospheratu

I'm having what seems to be the same problem. I suggest you try creating a custom Crossfire profile for the game/app that BSOD's in Catalyst Control Centre and configure the profile to run in "AFR Friendly" Crossfire mode. You might still experience graphical anomalies as this is a generic Crossfire profile and not optimized for the particular game/app but it should stop the BSOD's from occurring.

If you would like more information and details to determine if we are both experiencing the same issue please check out the thread below where I have documented all symptoms.

RSOD - Crossfire with Catalyst / Crimson drivers on select games/applications on Windows 10 x64

There is also another member in the above thread who is experiencing the exact same symptoms as me  in Windows 10 with two R9 290's and a R9 390.

• Re: How can I fix the following BSOD: "system exception thread not handled (atikmdag.sys)"? ...while trying to start a game on win10 with a mixed 3 r9 290 card´s crossfire
              jo2806

Hi, nospheratu, thank you very much for your answer. I need to try your suggestion, but right in the moment, I am following an other idea- as you said, when the game turns to full screen, this must be the moment, when all cards are fired up fully- I guess, with the new win10/catalyst co-work, there simply can be an overpowering detection, which makes the System " shreak".

To proof that, I put out one of my three cards, which was, to be honest, only a brake all the time, because of being clocked at 1000mhz in contrary to 1030 of the other two.

I, too, think, that mixed Bios will be a problem, and the idea of an AMD Bios-emulater to really synchronize slightly different cards ......is only dreaming.

So I will give report, of what ever will change in the current situation.

Thank you for the Moment, I`ll keep trying...

Joachim

nospheratu

Hi jo2806, do you have any feedback regarding your troubleshooting?

I would like to know the BSOD code that you receive if you don't mind. The easiest way to see what the reason was is using a simple utility like BlueScreenView by NirSoft. If its possible take a screenprint and post it here. If it's the same issue as I'm experiencing your BSOD code will be 0x1000007e and it the crash address will be atikmdag.sys+32c7a when using the 15.9.1 Catalysts as I can consistently reproduce the same results.

I would also like to know what monitor configuration you are running. Thanks.

jo2806

Hello, nospheratu

I´d like to apologize for that delay. Things decided to follow their own direction, or uncryptically, I had severe problems with my hardware change,I use watercooling, and after all it took me days to come over one single moment of unawereness. More than fortunately, my system is now 1. well checked, 2. 98% dustfree and 3. dry again...

Back to our topic- good News is- my guess was somehow right- after restarting the system with only two cards, both 1030 Mhz clocked, instantly crossfire was running. In AC Unity, it only showed the well known artefacts, here I need to find the right profile.

Since there is no more BSOD, I ask for your understanding, that, for the moment, I am only glad, that I have not screwed up my hardware, and I decided, whatever, to go along with the systems state of performance, like it is, until I will buy myself a new-gen Grafic Card, which is strong enough alone for beefy 4k, and leave crossfire, even with a lot of "interesting" experiences.

My conclusion is, that somehow, the third card, which I took away, caused the problem- maybe it is defectous, maybe it is the Bios, I do not know.

Anyway, a mixed crossfire Setup (different Bios`) was, is, and surely will be a Problem. By the way, my Screen Setup is  two-panel with mixed resolutions (1920x1080 + 3840x2160 Main).Catalyst Beta 15.9.1 is running allright.

Below I put a picture of my machine.

Nospheratu, I thank you very much for your interest and guidance, I`ll keep your hints in mind.

A concluding thought only can be: "Never give up"....I hope, your problem will be solved anyhow, soon,too.

Greets, Joachim

DSC_1390.JPG

nospheratu

I'm glad that you are happy with your resolution jo2806

However, I don't think your third card is at fault. In the thread I linked above the member that was experiencing the same symptoms mentioned that running two cards work perfectly well and adding the third causes the BSOD/RSOD issue in WIndows 10. He has subsequently downgraded to Windows 8.1 and no longer experiences the BSOD/RSOD running three cards.

The fact that our configs were so different and yet we experienced the exact same bugcheck code and driver crash memory address clearly points to a driver issue. Add the fact that the BSOD/RSOD can be avoided by using the AFR Friendly profile and it's fairly clear that the hardware isn't at fault.

That's a gorgeous machine you have there

jo2806

Hey, nospheratu,

thank You! I definetely can follow your point, and subscribe it.

My entry to that is, that I was told by AMD customer care, that mixing several cards with only slightly different Bios can cause malfunction in various ways. That doesn`t bother your point, anyway,I know, but please only imagine, I built a whole system for three cards, including finest cooling hardware, turning it on- and-.....I must be seen as a apprentice in such matters, a Greenhorn, maybe, just dreaming, like many, of the machine, that is able to open  a black hole, something of that kind, anyway.

But the look at this technique, no matter, if soft- or hardware-only is at a more simple state, than maybe not only I have thought.

Right in the Moment, we experience releases of next-gen GPU`s, when maybe some are only rebrandings, others provide new directions in computing experience. I, as only a rookie, must admit, I`ve thought, a penguin can fly-doesn´t he have something like wings,too? In the end, to be more sober, I really am glad, to be able to write this to you, from my machine, that I almost not only BSOD`d but TKBS`d (Totally Killed By Stupidness).

Where does that leave you? What I read out, is, that you have a very powerful rig, too- please enjoy it the most you can, and please give AMD some more time, to get after it, when your conclusion is, that it is a Driver Problem.

I can tell only from myself, that often I am more interested in the things I don`t have, than in those, which are mine already. That is not pointed towards you in any meaning, it is only, what I think about myself in this entire moment.For me it was a close shot, and when I posted my question, I was of the opinion, everything was not good enough. This has changed in the moment, I fired the dryed Parts up again, in awareness of everything, and it only was....good. I again thank you for your help, but the third Card, as I said, was clocked with 1000Mhz, so the two others had to knee down to it- they are stronger without it. I apologize for not attempting your Information quest, and for watering up these forum`s sense.

If you like, we could Keep in touch, I think, I can learn from you.

Bye, Joachim