3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 1:15 AM by ggruben

15.7.1 - Black Screen / Sleep before Login - Windows 7 64 bit

pyxil

Good Day, I want to start with the fact that I am not a Techy, I have gleaned knowledge over the years but I may not always call things the right terms LOL.

I am hoping that someone can help me with my issue.  I have gone through several threads both on this discussion board as well as others and I think I have tried almost everything (except accessing the BIOS because there are conflicting directions out there on what I should do in the BIOS and I do not want to play around in there as I am not experienced).

Here is my info:

• Radeon HD 7670 (although sometimes my computer Display Adapter recognizes it as a AMD 7600 Series and the AMD Driver Autodetect notes it as a Radeon HD 7xxx PCIe Series).  I do not overclock and mainly use my computer to do normal online stuff and to play WoW, EQ P99, and Civ 5.
      • The driver version that caused the problems was 15.7.1 but I have previously had 14.9 installed and it worked perfectly until I accepted the update identified by the Catalyst Gaming Evolved app on the morning of October 5th.
      • Acer Aspire M3450 = AMD Fx(tm) - 8120 Eight Core (3.10 GHz) and 16 GB RAM.
      • My monitor is a HP w2207h and this is the 3rd computer to be attached to it with no issues.
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, Service Pack 1.

Here is what happened:

@ 7:55 am on Monday, October 5th I accepted a driver update message from AMD Gaming Evolved app that popped up on my notifications on the bottom right of my taskbar stating that there was a new version 15.7.1 driver available.  After it was done the update, I was asked, and accepted, the computer re-start.  Upon the restart my computer worked through the normal boot process until just after the windows start-up window (the one with the animated windows flag) but before the login screen.  Instead of bringing up the login screen I get the “Monitor going to Sleep” message.  I clicked my mouse and it initiated the monitor (the power button on top is orange when it is asleep and goes blue when engaged) but pretty much no image and just went immediately back to sleep.

I have investigated this issue and I know that some Windows 10 users are experiencing a slow boot process to the login screen but I can hear the start-up sound that plays at the log in screen and I let my computer sit for 3 hours hoping it would sort itself out and it didn’t.

Here are the forums I have reviewed:

https://community.amd.com/thread/184727 (marked as assumed answered)

https://community.amd.com/message/2668145#2668145

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/5b94b775-992e-4f48-b3ff-c89b3cf45e82/windows-7-black-screen-after-login-no-desktop-show-up (as well as some of the strings linked from this one).

Here is what I have done to try to correct the issue:

1. At first I was concerned that my video card gave up the ghost so I unplugged everything, took the tower cover off, cleaned and inspected the video card and reinstalled it (yes I have double checked that I re-seated it correctly).  Then I started the computer up in safe mode with networking thinking that if it booted OK in Safe Mode it was likely not my Video Card that was the issue.
      2. I then went online and looked at the plethora of posts about this issue and started trying some of the things that people were suggesting.  Rolling Back my Driver version in the Device Manager did not work, so I attempted to uninstall the driver and that also did not work.  By did not work I do not mean that it did not fix the black screen issue... those particular processes literally did not work.
      3. I tried to do a system restore to restore the computer to 02/10/2015 (three days before I installed the new driver) and that did not fix the black screen issue.
      4. I installed and ran the “Display Driver Uninstaller” program in safe mode and followed the instructions to remove all instances of AMD Display Drivers from my computer then I let it reboot as normal.
      5. When the computer came back up normally but with resolution differences it gave me hope but when I went to the Display Adapter in the Device Manager I noted that the Display adapter did not show a Radeon product but “Standard VGA Graphics Adapter”.
      6. I did some more reading and I located a copy of a previous version (14.14) of the Driver and ran it through the install process.  Even after the install process the computer did not recognize my video card so I ran the “Update Driver…” and had it look at my C drive.  Once the installer completed and recognized my video card I then went to “regedit” and turned all ULPS settings to “0” (even though I have a desktop not a laptop) and went into the Display Adapter Trouble shooter and set the Hardware Accelerator to “none”.

It is important to note that I have followed the step 5 process for a couple different versions of the driver… 13.12 (which never did recognize the driver or the video card), 14.4 (installed driver version 8.911.0.0 with a date of 25/10/2015), 14.12 (installed driver version 14.501.1003.0 with a date of 20/11/2014) and one Windows update that I accidently accepted called “Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Graphics Adapter WDDM1.1, Graphics Adapter WDDM1.3, Graphics Adapter WDDM2.0 software update released in July, 2015” (I did not record the version number or date on this one).

Each time I installed AMD drivers instead of the “Standard VGA Graphics Adapter” it would result in the Monitor going to Sleep between the Windows start-up and the Login screen.  I would then start the computer in safe mode with networking and use the Display Driver Uninstaller Program to remove the AMD drivers safely.

I have sent 2 messages to the AMD Issue Reporting Form but have not heard anything back yet.

I have read that turning back the driver version has helped many people so I am wondering if there is something else at play here.  Could I have an issue with my video card even though I have no other onboard display or video cards AND it is working in safe mode and in normal mode with the “Standard VGA Graphics Adapter”?  Could the install of the 15.7.1 driver have changed a setting that I can change back while in safe mode or on the BIOS?

If there is anyone out there that can help me I would be very appreciative.

I am at the point now where I am contemplating just going and buying an NVIDIA card or updating my computer for a gaming laptop even though I love my Radeon.

• Re: 15.7.1 - Black Screen / Sleep before Login - Windows 7 64 bit
          lilmav

I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM. LITERALLY. LIKE EVERYTHING YOU DID, I DID.

AMD told me to update my BIOS, which I did. But I still get the occuring problem. AMD has yet to respond to my e-mails. And I am also getting frustrated with this. I just built my first computer.

• Re: 15.7.1 - Black Screen / Sleep before Login - Windows 7 64 bit
            pyxil

OK... I have found the answer to my issue... I ended up having to go to Geek Squad (thank goodness I said yes to the warranty LOL).  The issue is that the driver wants to set the screen resolution to one that is not supported by your monitor.  I am not sure what the driver wanted to set it at but I read on another thread when I was researching that this may be the issue.

When I got in touch with geek squad they could see my desktop and work on my computer on their remote tool in normal mode after log in so I had him change my resolution until my monitor "woke up".  Before we got to this point he uninstalled and reinstalled both my Monitor Driver AND my Display Adapter driver to the factory default (which is AMD driver 8.911 and HP driver 3.0.0).  This he also did in normal mode through his remote access tool since I could not see my screen because the monitor would keep going to sleep.  Then he just kept changing the resolution until my monitor woke up.

After I got off the phone with him, I tried to reset the resolution from what he had set it at back to my Monitors factory optimum (1680 x 1050) and then the issue started happening again.  I then got in touch with the next Geek Squad Guy he helped me by setting the resolution in Safe Mode to the highest (1440x900) and then the next time we booted up in normal mode... it took a long time to boot up but it worked like a charm at the 1680x1050... I am not sure if you can replicate my success but I think that may be the answer for you as well.

If you can remote in from another computer, or take it into the place you bought it and hook it up to some different monitors or even your TV maybe... or In safe mode, try putting your screen resolution to 1440x900 and rebooting.

The Geek Squad guy told me that if the resolution is set at one that is too much for your monitor to handle (mine maxes out at 60hz) then the monitor will automatically go to sleep to stop itself from blowing up or dying.

@AMD:  Please ensure that your drivers are not forcing a resolution change... you should be letting the computer keep the current resolution settings and let the customer choose to change it if they want!!!!  At a minimum make the driver assess the monitor defaults or supported resolution before forcing the change.