5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2015 9:32 AM by Hardwood

no video output, potential graphics card issue

thaumologist

Hi,

I bought a PC about 14 months ago, and over the last weekend my video card has, apparently, completely broken.

I was using the PC as normal, when there was a small click, and the monitor went blue, and displayed "HDMI no input". I turned the PC off, and left it for a few hours, before rebooting, and encountered the same screen from turning the computer on - no HDMI input.

I then tried using a different HDMI cable, and again received the same message. To ensure it wasn't the monitor that was broken, I then ran the HDMI cable from my laptop to the monitor, and got a working screen with no error, and with either cable. I then tried using a DVI cable from the video card output, and received a "DVI no input" error. I got the same error when I ran the same cable from the other output.

The monitor doesn't have inbuilt speakers, and so I run mine from a USB on the main PC. Whilst the computer boots, and is visible on the network, there is no sound output through the speaker either.

When the issue occurred I was running MSI afterburner, with fans set at about 30%, and Civ 5. I had no other tasks open.

I'm not hugely experienced with actually fixing or building computers, but I talked through my problems with a colleague at work and he believed it likely to be a graphics card issue.

I have no idea what version of catalyst I was running. I updated drivers for everything a month or two ago, but only really use the computer at the weekend, and don't generally bother keeping it completely up to date.

As of yet, I haven't opened up the case. It was under a manufacturer's warranty, and I didn't want to lose out on that. Turns out that as I've had the build for over a year, only labour is covered. Which I can get elsewhere for the cost of a pizza anyway, without having to ship it around the country.

Build details below. I have no idea what's important, so just have everything.

Case: Corsair Carbide 400R

Power Supply: Corsair RM750 750W Fully Modular

Processor: AMD FX 8350 4.0GHz 8 Core [Overclockable]

Overclocking: None

Processor Cooler: Corsair H100 Water Cooling System

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1866Mhz

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P

Graphics card: AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB

Hard Drive: Samsung 250GB 840 Evo Solid State Drive

2nd Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive 7200rpm 64MB Cache

3rd Hard Drive: None

RAID: None

Sound card: Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B5ST 24x DVD/CD ± Re-Writer Black

Network card: Integrated 10/100/1000Mbps

Wireless Card: Asus N10 150MBPS

Memory Card Reader: UKGC All in 1 Internal Card Reader

Monitor: Asus 23.5" VS247HR LED HD VGA/DVI/HDMI

2nd Monitor: None

Surge Protection: Masterplug 4 Way Surge Protector

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Standard

Office Suite: Microsoft Office 2013 Home and Student MLK

My current plan, unless anyone here knows otherwise, is to take it apart this weekend, and remove the graphics card, trying to boot the PC without. I've then got someone else's spare I can try with, but after that I'm scuppered.