5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 1:59 PM by maximo70

HD 6490m changes to HD 7400m after Windows 10 upgrade

varn1x

I have an HP laptop that came originally with Windows 7 and HD 6490m. After upgrading to Windows 10 I checked my Device Manger and found out that HD 6490m has changed to HD 7400m. Is that normal or Windows 10 has installed the wrong drivers? Also, my machine boots up very slowly after the upgrade. It takes over 90 seconds to show up the welcome screen.

• Re: HD 6490m changes to HD 7400m after Windows 10 upgrade
          amdmatt

Hi Mahmoud Fayed,

Not to worry, the HD 7400m is based on the same GPU as the HD 6490m.

If you are not already,  would recommend using the latest available drivers from your laptop manufacturer, HP.

The issue you've mentioned is currently a known issue in our latest AMD drivers, it's mentioned on the release notes.

Known Issues:

black screen may be encountered on bootup on Windows 10 systems. The system will ultimately continue to the Windows login screen.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              varn1x

Thank you so much for your informative reply!

I do encounter the black screen on bootup. Should I expect this issue to be resolved in future updates?

Also, my driver version is 15.200.1062.1004 and AMD Catalyst AutoDetect tells me I have the latest driver. Should I update my driver manually to 15.9.1 beta or not?

amdmatt

Hi Mahmoud Fayed

Yes, we're working on fixing this and as soon as it is fixed, we'll make sure to mention it in the release notes of a future driver.

The Auto Detect Utility currently only gives you the option of the latest WHQL driver, it will not offer Beta updates. If you are not experiencing any issues, and none of the new performance improvements or resolved issues of 15.9.1 Beta interest you, then i would stick with your current driver Catalyst 15.7.1.

Was my post helpful? If it was please make sure to mark the post as correct/helpful where applicable.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                maximo70

Hi Matt,

I have the same problem of varn1x, plus the laptop it's not able to switch graphic card.

My  laptop is HP Pavilion DV6 6010el with HD 6490M, recognized as HD7400M,

Today is the 9th of December and I still waiting some news from AMD about this problem.

Waiting to hear from you good news.

Thank you