15 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2016 2:05 AM by william

Beige Beast!

cavemanthe0ne

Description

It is a beige beast of a PC!  Now I have an R9 390 in it (Sapphire Nitro OC version) and it is really good now.  Just added two more screens, and ITS AWESOME Though, Eyefinity is still finnicky sometimes, but its still really awesome

and ... I tried cable managing but it didn't work that well lol. As the case is from 2000, it really doesn't have any place to put cables other than in a gigantic ball somewhere. Oh and I'm rocking a WYSE keyboard with Cherry MX Blacks that is from 1991... Had to do a little creative modding to get it to work on USB but it is AWESOME .

WP_20160326_18_23_48_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20151003_17_05_21_Pro[1].jpg

WP_20151204_15_28_04_Pro.jpg

Specifications

CPUCore i7 3970x @ 4.5 Ghz
      CoolerCorsair H100 (240mm one)
      MotherboardMSI X79a-GD45 Plus
      Memory16 Gbs of OCZ Platinum @ 1600
      GraphicsSapphire R9 390 Nitro OC w/backplate
      Disc Drive 1Seagate 2tb HDD
      Disc Drive 2OCZ Revodrive 3 240gb PCIE SSD
      KeyboardWYSE PC-Enhanced Terminal Keyboard (modded to work on USB, has the OG MX blacks on it)
      PSUCorsair ax750
      CaseOLD server case that has a slide out MB tray
      MonitorHP LP2465 (1920x1200 IPS Display) x3
        • Re: Beige Beast!
          charles4691

Nice system

cavemanthe0ne

Update: I have a Radeon 5970 in the mail! hopefully it will work well (and I may be getting a second one to do old(ish) school Quadfire xD)

cavemanthe0ne

Now i have an XFX Black Edition radeon 5970 installed!

thewalrus

Noo! It's a spaghetti monster! And a dusty one at that!

I have to say there's something super nostalgic about that beige tower.

cavemanthe0ne

Yeah, at some point I'll fix up those cables. Only problem is that the case is so old there is nowhere to put them Ill probably bundle um ep and shove them somewhere out of sight lol.

(I found the case at my uncles place and he said I could have it. I was using a junky Alienware Aurora case before, so this is a nice "upgrade". You would not believe the amount of stuff you can put in this old thing. Could fit 4 GPUs if i wanted, and I may or may not have shoved the radiator on my H110 into the space between the CD drive bays and the back of the case. If you look, you can see that the thing is pushing air up into the top of the case, and I put in a fan so the hot air blows out the front CD drive area. Hence why two slots are missing on the front xD)

jamesc359

In cases like this I usually run as many of them next to the right side of the motherboard as possible and any over flowing cables get tucked into an empty 5¼ bay. To me this is the most professional looking solution when a case doesn't have any viable cable management built in.

That's a lot of expensive hardware to be cramming into that old case though.

cavemanthe0ne

jamesc359 I probably will break out the zip ties at some point and put all my cables into a tight ball/mass in my 3.25" hdd bay, as I only have one HDD in it so if it goes on the bottom should leave enough space to shove most of the cabling in decently well. I cleaned up a little, but I definitely need to zip tie those annoyingly rigid cables. While Corsair makes AWESOME braided PSU cables, they are quite rigid (Thanks for the advice as well!)

And I mostly have this case because it has really great airflow (surprisingly- mostly due to the gigantic vent/air hole in the side panel), and can fit a crap ton of stuff in it At some point definitely need to add some 120 MM fan spots and repaint it though.

erenhardt

I second that!

adr_tech

Some dust cleanup, paint, and zipties, and this can be an even more gorgeous build!

cavemanthe0ne

Yes that is my eventual plan but for right now it will work well enough xD ... Might go camo, probably will get it cleaned sooner rather than later. Now to fix the godawful Crossfire in Windows 10... issues Much faster than it was previously though

cavemanthe0ne

I fixed all my crossfire bugs in Windows 10, and this rig now runs like a champ! It can run Shadows of Mordor on High @ 1920x1200 at 45-60ish FPS... not bad    Interestingly, the cooler on it does a nice enough job- max at 80-82 C, and doesn't get too loud doing it. Pretty cool, from a blower design!

arcticwind

That's a nice anti-theft device you have there!

Now that's hiding in plain sight... you should look in to marketing that!

william

Wow, I would never expect computer like this inside such an old PC case. It's pretty good vintage build, good job.

I would recommend you 2 things. First, I would consider adding some dust filters. I once did just duct taped dust filters to old case and it worked really great. Also it it possible to buy some "holders" that you can put to your case and than zip tie cables to it. I think it would help you with that part.