36 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2015 7:26 AM by backFireX64

What are your some of your favorite PC games, that you felt were underrated and underappreciated?

savagebeastzero

I thought it might be an easy going, as well as interesting conversation for us all to have here in the Red Team forums in regards to what each of us believes to be our top most underrated or underappreciated PC games.

We all have our own personal perception and experiences with each game we play. Some of the games we instantly fell in love with, that others wouldn't give a chance for differing reasons such as poor reviews, can now be brought to others attention because you were willing to give that game a chance when others wouldn't.

As we all know perception is an individual experience, so if you truly enjoyed a game to it's fullest, who knows? Maybe, you listing that game here with conviction, will intrigue someone else here in the AMD community to give it a try. Considering the affordability of digital downloads these days, taking a risk that you weren't willing to when a game released makes it much easier.

Yet, quite a few games end up simply being forgotten over time and with the oversaturation of available PC titles these days, it makes them more difficult to discover again. Steam's discovery queue hasn't helped that as much as I had hoped, personally.

If nothing else, maybe it will spark conversation between AMD RED TEAM community members and we'll all get to know each other a bit better. So, I hope you'll all take part in this common ground discussion, because if there's anything that we all obviously enjoy, it's gaming.

Simply list whatever games come to mind first, add more that you remember down the road if any, but most importantly have fun and become involved. There's no minimum amount of games that need to be listed, so if you only have one that comes to mind, list it. If you have dozens, then list those as well. I'm sure we'll all have that "Oh yeah, I forgot about that game" moment at some point, during this threads existence.

Looking forward to reading your responses and hopefully seeing a few games that I forgot about myself.

Have a nice day to all here in the AMD RED TEAM forums and thank you for taking the time to view this thread.

kingfish mssexygeek erin.maiorino amdmatt black_zion crazycarl warpfact0r10 shrimpbrime sam.tehrani ray_m @

goodplay backFireX64 garwynn blazek buettner milicgaming2 mfaninja heliosmus tecnick shmee romi traceman

ttt6767 roshyprime esmea gingami th3.g33k3d casdune jtrudeau richk

• Re: What are your favorite PC games, that you felt were underrated and underappreciated?
          savagebeastzero

I'll try to get this started...

As it ends up, I could only think of a few that immediately came to mind, that I felt were severely underrated, as well as underappreciated in the gaming media and community. I really thought these titles, never got the positive attention, nor the success they deserved. Yet, I've truly enjoyed the following titles more than most.

RAGE
          Bulletstorm
          Binary Domain
          Ziggurat
          Mirrormoon EP
          Enemy Front
          Neo Scavenger

BosonX

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • Re: What are your some of your favorite PC games, that you felt were underrated and underappreciated?
            shmee

Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.  Great game!

• Re: What are your some of your favorite PC games, that you felt were underrated and underappreciated?
              savagebeastzero

I agree wholeheartedly that Call of Duty: Ghosts was incredibly underrated and received such an immense backlash from all ends, that wasn't truly deserved. Albeit, it may not have been revolutionary or a very good pc port but, it was in my opinion the culmination of everything great about the Infinity Ward developed Modern Warfare series. Somewhat of a swan song, for the older CoD's gameplay mechanics. I really enjoyed the almost limitless potential to mix and match the various perks, it added a larger amount of depth than I really though would ever be implemented into a CoD successfully. I put over 500 hours into Ghosts online multiplayer and only stopped, because the P2P became unbearable due to a low player count. The rubber banding was a sight to behold.

I also agree that Crysis is another series, that's single player experience was in my opinion, better than 90% of games out there. It has a cinematic appeal that not many other games can boast to have...and that soundtrack is unmatched. Yet, it always got heat, as a lifeless AAA title with no substance? I never understood the negativity it got. Anyways, I'm a fan of each series you listed above, great games.

If there's one thing that anyone could learn about me from my response to your reply is that, simply put, I'm a Call of Duty addict and have been since the original release over a decade ago. I play all of them "religiously" and love every minute of it. I have roughly 600 games and 400 DLC/Season passes, yet when I think of playing a game, Call of Duty is always the first thing that comes to mind. I simply can't resist that gameplay.

Since I was tagged, I feel duty-bound to reply. I played games back in the 80s. My favorites were Zork, Wizardry, and Ultima (maybe 5?). I don't think any of them was underrated or under-appreciated. They were all hits.

I started programming (not games, general programming), that started as a hobby. As long as computers were a hobby, games were fun. But when this career took off and I started spending 10 hours a day working on these beasts, I stopped playing games. So all the amazing (colloquial term for feces) that games do today, I am not a consumer of it.

Now ask me about computers that were under-appreciated... But that would take us off topic, eh?

garwynn

Underappreciated? This year I'm going to go with King's Quest - but that's

because there's a generation that has never played it and may not truly

appreciate all the throwbacks to the original games from the Williams'.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 2:43 PM, savagebeastzero <amd-external@jiveon.com>

esmea
                    • Stanley Parable - so many possible paths with hilarious commentary
                    • ARK: Survival Evolved - great game with extremely active development, it's just a shame about DX12 and the speculation surrounding it.
                    • WildStar - factors beyond control of the devs killed the game shortly after launch, now relaunched as F2P, it just isn't the same, but still a fun game.
                    • Space Engineers - still a lot of ambition behind this game. Weekly updates filled with fantastic content and fixes, along with the source code being released for community to use to create content and fixes. Steam workshop integration for this game is the best I have ever seen.
                    • Quantum Conundrum - discovered this game as a suggestion from a friend. Amazing title... I'm surprised at how little attention it has received.
                    • Dungeon Defenders - my favorite coop game of its genre. While possible to solo, it's one of those games where other players make it just so much better.
                    • Just Cause 2 - amazing game with very fun mechanics. Destructible world, extensive weaponry, the very fun grappling hook, and parachute makes for a world in the game that is utterly massive. Even with the story and missions, there is a lot of content in the game that feels like there was a lot of stories and missions that were left out (space center, WWII island, etc.) after spending a lot of time playing, beating the story twice, I still only have a game completion of just over 40%.... There is no shortage of stuff to do. Most underrated game ever. And yes, I like it much more than any Far Cry game.
                    • Civilization: Beyond Earth - One word: Mantle. Mantle is definitely what makes this game so awesome to play.

*all after this were edited when I got home*

• Warframe - Yet another game that I had heard of, but not really much else. Once I played it, I realized that it was quite possibly the best Free-to-play game I had ever played. Space-ninjas... implemented perfectly. They're always adding content as if it were Early Access, the premium currency is only an optional thing - used to simply bypass time limitations and whatnot; better yet, they have sequential login rewards, which can include up to a hefty 75% off premium purchases... combined with the optional nature of it, I tend to take advantage of such a discount whenever it happens. I'm always surprised that I just don't hear much about this game.
                    • Beyond Good & Evil - old game, I know, but it was such a fantastic story.
                    • TFX - speaking of old games, here's one from the 90s that never gets mentioned. By far the best flight sim I played back then, came with a killer soundtrack by Barry Leitch. Loads of fun, but very substandard today.

It would be a bad idea for me to list my game library. On top of my some 580 Steam games, there's a bookshelf filled with physical game copies...

gingami

Had a hard time to recall any game like that. So far several of them comes to mind.

Cops 2170: The Power of Law   - isn't great game and doesn't have good reviews, but I really enjoyed it in 2003.

Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends - interesting strategy with steampunk and fantasy.

Record of Agarest War Zero - old styled jrpg with lots of grinding.

Can't think of anything else right now and not sure if I can include "Shadowrun" in this. I might update my list later.

black_zion

I'll just post a pic of my games browser.

Capture.PNG

I'd also add "Stars!" by Empire Interactive to the list. I challenge anyone to play an Expert game against several Cybertron opponents and win.

casdune

Witcher 2, not many people even heard of the witcher series let alone play it till witcher 3 hit the market on everything. Witcher 2 was a hidden gem and masterpiece of its time. Another would the Trine series, beautiful games with a lot of puzzles and challenges.

letsgetit1220

I will just mention one for now, Kingpin: Life of Crime Has to be my favourite game of all time and I think was underrated, though in its day, had a big community.
                            It had paved the way even for games like BF Hardline as it was the one of the original games to have a money pit and each team had their own safe to deposit in and/or steal from the other teams.

krepadoodle

Tron 2.0 was great.  Never got the notice that it deserved.  Still looks fabulous today and generated a lot of derivative visuals in other video games afterwards.  Most people don't even notice as most never new about the game.  Probably the one game I've played end to end the most.

abhishek_myth

The Incredible Adventure OF Van Helsing Series ! Its a fantastic Series and everyone should try it ! so awesome ! Good Click RPG like Old school Diablo !

backFireX64

Most underrated modern game for me ?

Easy.

"The Talos Principle"

A game with beautiful optimized graphics and fps performance, sound and physics, that makes puzzle-solving that much more appealing to (almost) anyone. Add longevity to all that (something which is missing from most games nowadays), and you have an instant winner !

But..... it is the mature story/ theme/ provoked thinking underneath all that glossy look and gameplay that really captivated most of us who played it deep enough, isn't it ?

And i don't really like puzzle games. There is always a grand exception i guess.

Another one is "The Cat Lady" and, of course, "The Vanishing of Ethan Carter". Both of which are trully magnificent on their own accord, though you do have to be able to invest emotionally and have a bit more experience (or, perhaps, more age) on life's bitterness and sweetness to possibly relate or get the impact. That i suppose is the reason why i always loved a good story-heavy RPG or story-driven adventure/ point & click game more than anything else on offer. Even as a kid. Yes, i broke a keyboard playing Doom 3 and i enjoyed it thoroughly... i can also stay overnight playing mindless, reflex-depended games, you know ?

A very good RPG game that went under the radar for most people i reckon is "Alpha Protocol". I also very much enjoyed "The Chronicles of Riddick" (vin diesel attitude in your face!) and "Dark Sector", both underrated to an unfair extent, in my opinion.

One of the best horror-themed games that i have ever played and think of it now as a bit underrated by the pc community, is the original "Dead Space" game. I never finished the sequels or liked them the same as the first one, though. Speaking of horror games, "Condemned: Criminal Origins" was a brilliant game, and it is too shame that the sequel was never ported to PC. "Jericho" and "Prey" were decent too.

I can think of a few favorite older underrated games, like "Dreamfall" (terrible ending...) & "The Longest Journey", "Grim Fandango", "Fahrenheit/ Indigo Prophecy" (a genre redefining game), the more recent indie game "The Fall", but i think that most games that i still value and recollect are the ones that had either a great storytelling or a great innovative idea. Most likely both.

Yeah, there are a lot of old gems waiting to be found or revisited but i'll stop here for now.

Since "The Stanley Parable" is already mentioned, all i can say is... not to be missed

EDIT:

I feel obliged at this point to also mention the excellent "Murdered: Soul Suspect", one of the few modern adventure games that delivered on many early promises, but kinda failed on it's true potential to really take the genre to the next level. Still, great storytelling, beautiful graphics and sound, fresh gameplay mechanics marvelously blended into the core gameplay idea (albeit, a tad repetitive after the second part of the game) and great overall atmospheric mood throughout the game.

I also highly recommend anyone remotely interested in horror-themed games to play "Neverending Nightmares" and "Dreadout", using high quality virtual surround headphones and... absence of room light.

Both were much unappreciated, but both deliver. Dreadout particularly reminded of the Project Zero horror game series i used to play on the playstation 2.

And that is as high a compliment as a horror game can get.

Will update this thread with more fond memories of game underdogs at some point.

Thank you savagebeastzero  for this wonderful gamer-to-gamer topic. Cheers mate !

cavemanthe0ne

I  think that if Thief (2014) had been released at a different time it would have been much less underrated. If you are a Thief fan the game is great, but is somewhat similar to Dishonored which came out a few months before. Very solid story, good graphics (along with Mantle support) and pretty decent A.I.  Though, there are a fair number of loading screens in it , and the AI can be hilariously dumb, which can take away from the experience. Overall is really good game though.

Also, Star Conflict (it is made by Gaijin, who make War Thunder) is an awesome space battle sim, it's fun and easy to run- while still having decent physics and graphics. Quick for-warning though: If you are disoriented when there is no up & down (only space and reference points) you probably wont want to play it. Other than that, if you have played Warthunder or World of tanks/World of Warplanes at all the upgrades & researching tree is similar enough to those games. Very cool game if you like dogfighting in space- or just exploring, either is possible.

Thanks for the cool topic savagebeastzero!

warpfact0r10

broforce.png

BROFORCE!

Incredibly fun side-scrolling shooter that parodies just about every action movie character you can think of. Grab some XBox 360 controllers and hook your PC up to your big flat-panel TV. Have your buddies over for drinks and hilarity.

iamhoho

I thought I would bring to light, Webzens game of Rappelz, I really loved this game, it was very cool and a lot of pleasuable gaming hours put into it from myself and others like my oldest son, and his friend in Alaska. BRING back a great game like this one.

thanks,

iamHoho

jakeshi

I have 2 candidates for underrated games.

First of them is Freelancer. It is one of the best of space shooters, that I play. Gameplay was great, keyboard and mouse controlling was very good.

Second is Deus Ex: Invisible war. Yes, PC version was buggy conversion from first Xbox. But it is great part of Deus Ex universe. 

backFireX64

Has anyone played "Anachronox" ?

I am considering getting this (preferably the GoG/ drm-free version), as it is one of the few of it's category that i have not played it at all back then.

Reading through all the reviews, it sure looks like one of the underrated but very good ones. Don't know...

Asking price is very good too, so i might get it anyway.

warpfact0r10

For anyone who wants to get in on the Broforce action: it is currently on sale on Steam for $10.04.

dirtyprank

I spent an absurd amount of time playing Sim Theme Park back in the day. I also keep getting drawn back in to Titanfall for short spells. It's too bad that community died off so quickly, especially since they released all of the map packs for free.

jakeshi

Does anybody remember strange game Sub-Culture? I remember, that I played demoverison many years ago.  It was something with submarines and you did quests etc.

backFireX64

Another great adventure/ puzzle solving game that deserves, in my humble opinion, a little more recognition is "Mind: Path to Thalamus".

I have already finished the original game and had some great fun, but the recent upgrade to the "enhanced edition" just made this game a must.

Overall, great story and level design, smart and fun puzzle-solving quests, good graphics and art direction, and good sound makes this easily one of my favorites.

Oh, and did i mention that the upgrade to unreal 4 engine gave this game a tremendous fps performance boost ?

I now play with 60 fps fixed (vsync + frame limiter) on a single HD5870 gpu on ultra settings (catalyst 15.10 beta/ windows 10 64bit) !!! The devs weren't kidding alright.

Highly recommended.

sgtt8ie

Spec Ops: The Line.

A modern war shooter that does Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now's "descent into madness" better than all others.  It is a modern shooter that plays with our (as in the gamer's) preconceptions of the genre, without being cheesy or spoofish.  Has high production values, unique setting (Dubai after apocalyptic sandstorms), top notch dialogue, voice cast & story.  It maybe short (in comparison to GTA, Skyrim, Witcher etc.) but it maintains its pace & kept me on the edge of my seat all the way through.  Also helps that it treats its material & its audience as mature & doesn't pull punches.

ebonclaw

Final Fantasy XIV.  A stellar MMO with a stellar community.  I don't know why I don't see it mentioned very often whenever MMOs are discussed.  Getting to fly around the world on dragonback as a sexy catgirl black mage is my guilty pleasure in life.

Sunless Sea.  Top down sailing/adventure/fantasy/RPG/action.....this game fits into so many genres.  The soundtrack and worldbuilding is amazing.  A great game to relax to.

Descent.  I loved this game as a kid.  With the release of Descent Underground, I eagerly await the final release version.  Right now, the playtest build is beautiful. Rough, but beautiful, and you can definitely tell that it's a direct member of the Descent lineage.  Joystick highly recommended, but not required. 

(Throwback to anyone who remembers)  Scorched Earth.  To anyone who remembers, no further explanation is necessary.

• Re: What are your favorite PC games, that you felt were underrated and underappreciated?
                                                          backFireX64

Here's another one: HER STORY.

The core gameplay idea of this very simple game is truly radical and is presented with FMV.

The story is actually very good, but the acting is where it shines.

You'll only get more of her story (see what i did there ?) as you search deeper into the interrogation sequences.

If you ever liked a FMV game, this is one of the best out there, though a bit short on longevity.

It reminded me of the good old days of "phantasmagoria" and "night trap". And that's a good thing.

backFireX64

I have played through all the Prince of Persia games, except the "forgotten sands".

So, as i am currently installing this game on windows 10 (fingers crossed !!!), i couldn't help but bring forth some memories from the earlier games.

And then i realized that the one i had the most fun with was the cel-shaded prince of persia game.

The one that is probably one of the most underrated games of all time. On all platforms.

That game was so good (beautiful art/ graphics, great audio and superb gameplay), that when i finished it on PC and learned that ubisoft wasn't ever gonna release the final "episode-epilogue" as DLC on PC, i got a cheap copy of the game for my PS3 console, purchased the DLC, and played through the whole game first as well.

It was that good.

I know that most of you have only bothered with the original POP game trilogy, but anyone who likes the assassin's creed games should definitely give this a try.

Also, anyone who likes watching good Disney movies with their kids, or, dare i say it, on their own, will also find a bit of magic inside this game...