AnsweredAssumed Answered

Blackscreen on login with new drivers, fresh windows 7 install

Question asked by contrum on Oct 1, 2015

This PC worked fine with AMD drivers on w7 and w10 prior to reinstalling w7. I have fully updated Windows as far as I can tell - and I activated it too. Symptoms: screen blacks out - milliseconds after the login screen appears (monitor is on and the pixels are lit, just all fully black). And I'm pretty sure the PC crashes, too, because there's no startup or login sounds.

The battlestation:

• Windows 7 Home Premium x64
  • MOBO: ASRock FM2A55M-DGS
  • CPU: AMD A6-5400K APU (Dual core) @ 4.0GHz (from 3.6GHz)
  • GPU: (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD 7870, 2Gb
  • RAM: 2x 4Gb DDR3-1333
  • Monitor: 1920x1080 60Hz (Overclocked to 67Hz in previous win10 installation and worked just fine)

After installing Windows 7 from the disk, I manually DL'd AMD drivers from their website, because the auto-detect utility didn't install anything... It recommends amd-catalyst-15.7.1-with-dotnet45-win7-64bit.exe but never DL's or installs it. Instead it just takes me to this after-download page and the utility itself claims to have DL'd it. I can find no evidence of it having downloaded or installed any drivers whatsoever. I can go into safemode to uninstall or disable the AMD drivers, in order for normal mode to work. This tells me it's definitely the AMD drivers that are causing the crash. I've tried but failed to install old drivers which I thought might solve the problem, maybe someone could help me do that?

This isn't the full story ofc, and I'll happily respond to any questions about the hardware or software, and elaborate on any of the above.

Outcomes