AnsweredAssumed Answered

Farcry 4 Tessellation reduction for boost in performance

Question asked by thehairyfoot on Sep 30, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 by kingfish

I know I am late to the party here, but I have only just got around to playing Farcry 4; I have been irritated by the hit that the FPS takes on activating Nvidea's "Godrays".
I had a look into what Godrays are, and apparently they use some kind of tessellation. Remembering the recent problems AMD has had with the Witcher 3 having too higher levels of tessellation forced by Gameworks, I thought that I might give dropping it a little a go to see how the performance might be affected.

So I dropped the level of tessellation in Catalyst control center, by making a custom profile for Farcry 4, with tessellation overridden to 16X (rather than what I should assume was something stupid like 64X); I noticed that the framerate improved quite a lot, maybe even by about 4-5 fps: enough to keep the fps almost consistently above 60fps.

I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed an improvement like this?

I also posted this in the hopes that if anyone else is playing this game in the near future, and wants to figure out how to enable Godrays for AMD cards without a performance hit, that they would be able to find this assistance here.

My system
i5

R9 390x

Outcomes