1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 7, 2015 7:39 PM by roymust4ng

FX 6300 + Asus M5A78L-M LX = Crashes!!

roymust4ng

Hello everyone! Well the post title is self explainatory. I bought some parts earlier this year (first weeks of March) to upgrade my gaming pc. I had an Asus M5A78L-M LX with a Athlon X4 645 processor and a Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 512Mb prior to the upgrade. There were no freezes or crashes at all, so i assumed that the old hardware is just fine.

About a month after getting my parts: FX 6300 Black Edition, Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Dual OC and a NZXT Hale82 V2 550 Watt PSU, i started having some crashes. At first it was a BSOD 0x101 (Clock interrupt) or a 0x124 (hardware error). The crashes were totaly random and i had no clue. After asking some friends and reading a looooot of forums i got to the point of ruling out memory (10 hs of Memtest running), hard drives (several disks checks with different softwares) and PSU. The only things left were VGA and processor.

I did several test on both, Prime95 for processor (24hs running straight with no crashes), Unigine Benchmark set at fullest (run for 2 hours with no crashes), downgraded the built-in oc on the VGA (still crashed at random). The last 2 test were suggested by a friend (i executed both at the same time):

1- Remove the Catalyst driver and use the vanilla windows driver for my VGA

2- Remove any kind of boost done to the processor (not OC, AMD Turbo CORE Technology)

After spending around a month on vanilla drivers, i've installed the stock drivers that came in the CD with my VGA, there were no crashes. A month later i updated those drivers to the current non-beta drivers, one month later there were no crashes. Then i tried to enable the AMD Turbo CORE Tech again and had a crash after 20 minutes of use. So i'm absolutly sure that there's something wrong with that function, i cant tell if it's my processor that is a faulty one or it might be some Asus-AMD interaction that is making this to happen.

The crashes at first there were random, since i wasnt really looking into them i couldnt figure out when or why my computer freezed. After i started with the tests i had to take into notice when the crashes happened, so i did. Sometimes they happened while i was playing really light graphics games, i was playing Magicka at that time and it's a 2011 game, so my specs should run it really easy. The same happened with Path of Exile, again not exactly a heavy game. These type of crashes were kinda random, i had to be playing for hours before getting a crash. The ones that really bother me are the Youtube related ones. I realized that the main cause for the crashes are online videos. After seeing 15 to 20 minutes of videos (it's doesnt matter if is one big video or several small videos just being played one after another) the screen freezes and there is no way to recover from that but to hard reset. For the last test, enabling the ATCT, i spend those 20 minutes watching youtube videos until it crashed as i expected.

One thing to point out is that there's no longer BSOD's at all. The BSOD's only showed up at fisrt, but then it's just like the Youtube crash, screen and sound freezes, after that mouse stop responding and then i have to push the button.

Now i've disabled ATCT again, but i really wanted to get a proper solution to this. I found out that there are more people with the same issue and i hav answered one thread to this person to check his issue: The specified item was not found.

Here are my full specs:

Graphics Card:

- Sapphire Radeon R9 270x 2Gb GDDR5 Dual-X OC

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History

- Catalyst 15.7.1

- Stock version from cd box

Operating System
      -
      Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit all updates until now.

Applications and Games
      - Light graphics games: Magicka, Path of Exile

CPU Details

- AMD FX 6300 six core 3.5Ghz Black Edition

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
      - LG Flatron E2242 using DVI-V

Motherboard or System Make & Model
      - Asus M5A78L-M LX

Motherboard BIOS Version
      - v. 1603

System Memory Type & Amount
      - 2x 4Gb Kingston DDR3 @ 1333 MHz

Power Supply
      - NZXT HALE82 v2 550W

- https://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/131-hale-82-v2-power-supplies

Additional Hardware

- Hard drives: 2 Western Digital drives. a) 250Gb @ 7200 RPM b) 2T Green
      - DVD MultiRecorder

- Memory cards reader in floppy bay.

- No extra fans in case besides stock provided by VGA, PSU and processor.

- Tests detailed in previous text.

- For more detailed hardware ill leave a speccy link: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HduqvTqBXYa4u1iKex1kINV

Sorry for the walltext guys! If you read all of this, thanks for your time

Roy.

• Re: FX 6300 + Asus M5A78L-M LX = Crashes!!
          roymust4ng

Well, Im here again but I've finally found the solution to this matter.

It is actually a motherboard limitation. According to the users at Tom's Hardware, later put to test by me, the mother isnt able to keep the Vdrop. The suggested solution was to increase the LLC until the issue gets fixed and it worked but the change increased the core's temperature. Since I have a stock cooler, and imnot planning to buy another, the increase in the core temps doesnt make it viable for me.

If anybody reading this has the same issue and you can keep your core's temp low enough, then the solution is increasing the LLC or getting a new motherboard that can handle the Vdrop more efficiently.

I'll leave here the link to the thread i created in TH so you can read the explanations from the other users. I hope it helps other people.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2819351/fx6300-m5a78l-amd-turbo-core-crashes.html

Roy.