10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2015 11:20 PM by jamesc359

Any way to post build logs here?

adr_tech

I would like to post a build log here on the AMD forums of my Wall mounted PC project!

I do already have one on overclock.net, but I want to bring it here to the AMD forums since its going to be an AMD build.

I hope you guys get excited about it! The people on OC.net don't seem to be as excited as I thought although there has been some delay with the wrap and SSD. This is of course going to be for my dad and not me, so it might go a little slow paced.

Here is the OCN forum: [Build Log] Wall mounted AMD PC (videos will be made too!)

And the part 1 video up on youtube:

Hope you guys get interested, and help me find a place for this...

Maybe sam.tehrani could help me

• Re: Any way to post build logs here?
          sam.tehrani

Hi Alex!

Of course you can . I think the Red Team here would love to see it. Let me know if there is anything specific I can do to help you...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              adr_tech

Ill go ahead and do a separate rig showcase for it, and of course I will update it accordingly. I think right now the only issues I have are: good carbon fiber "stickers" to buy and buying a better GPU because we are currently putting in an Nvidia GT 610 (i know srry) - but to cover it up I had the brilliant idea to get the shroud of my 270 and put it over it- but all will be explained in the showcase   

jamesc359

I don't mean to criticize, but my own personal opinion here is that putting an AMD logo on an Nvidia card would be tacky. The shroud is a good idea, but any AMD logo on the shroud should be removed or covered.

500 watts should be more than enough for a build like this. I always shake my head when people use a ridiculously over powered PSU. Nice motherboard btw.

adr_tech

The reason for wanting to put an AMD sticker is to keep the AMD theme I was shooting for, I might just leave the shroud and not put it on there. But I don't want to ruin the theme with an Nvidia card lol

sam.tehrani

Hi James,

I'm just curious, have you ever used those "power" calculators you find on various manufacturer's websites? I'm still somewhat unsure if they really help. I've used them before but I normally go with PSUs that are more powerful than what's required, to simply future-proof.

Anyways, if you do know of a good calculator, would you mind sharing it with the rest of the community here?

jamesc359

Unfortunately I haven't found any PSU calculator that's accurate enough for my liking. All of the ones that I've tried have always been excessive in their recommendations. Because of this I prefer to make the calculations myself, which really isn't that hard if you're willing to look up the TDP of your components.

maxxhew

@jamesc359 The last PSU I purchased was way overpowered at the time.  860 watts of platinum plus power... for a pc that required maybe half of that, at the time.  Fast forward 1 year, I won an R9 285... added it into the system easily.  Fast forward 2 years, I won an R9-290X just 2 days ago... still no need to upgrade my PSU.  The advice you hear about getting the best PSU you can afford is good.  It allows for easy upgrades... so shake your head all you want, but I believe a solid high power PSU is a necessity.

jamesc359

While I'm not against the so called future proof, I don't normally advise going to excess in a power supply. Mostly because you lose a lot of efficiency when idling. I am a huge supporter of 80+, the higher the better.

Have you ever calculated how much power you really need? I'm guessing you'd probably need 650W at most. That includes a little overhead just for the sake of safety too.

sam.tehrani

Hi Guys,

You've made some good points. And here is a dumb question for you...(please bare with me as I'm not as savvy as some of you). Here we go "How do you calculate how much power you need?" (Is it as simple as adding all the TDPs of each component?)

jamesc359

It's almost that simple, there's a few small issues with that though. The first is that not all manufacturers make the power consumption of their device readily available. Take your motherboard, RAM and some add-on cards for instance, we all know they consume power, but how much? Since we probably won't be able to find that information in a manual somewhere we usually have to make some guesstimates about our various system components.

Motherboard with discrete graphics. If using a board with integrated graphics add another 15W.
                                    µATX Motherboard 25W
                                    ATX Motherboard 35W

RAM DDR2/3 8GB 5W per module
                                    RAM DDR2/3 16GB 10W per module

HDD 10W
                                    SSD 5W
                                    DVD/BD burner 10W

Normal 120mm Fan < 2W
                                    Higher Performance 120mm Fan < 4W
                                    Extreme performance fans can easily consume upwards of 25W – you probably don't have one of these though.

Most USB 2.0 devices (keyboards, mice, thumb drives, etc.) will draw less than ½W and as such are inconsequential. Some devices (speakers, card readers or something that's charging) should only draw 2 ½W at max. USB 3.0 devices can draw up to 4 ½W, but most will be similar to USB 2.0 loads.

PCI-E 1x-16x cards can draw up to 25W, with the exception of a graphics card which is permitted to draw 75W. PCI cards can also consume up to 25W, but that's far from common. Ethernet or USB add-on cards for example won't draw anything appreciable for themselves. In the case of the USB add-on card the devices connected to it however might.

Anybody here still interested enough to know about ISA cards? Do any of you even remember those?

Obviously we should know the TDP of our video card and CPU, so this one should be easy to figure out.

If we don't know our GPU TDP (maybe the internet is down?) we can guesstimate based upon the number and type of power connectors it has. Each 8-pin connector can provide 150W, while the 6-pin connectors are limited to 75W each. Since we know our card can draw 75W from the PCI-E bus we should always assume that it is.

So my old AMD XFX HD 6770 with it's 6-pin connector could draw 75W + 75W for a total of 150W, likewise my AMD Asus HD 7850 has the same 6-pin connector and could draw just as much power. Thanks to the internet though I know that they both really draw 108W and 130W respectively. My very old Nvidia GT 240 on the other hand doesn't have any external connectors, so it's limited to the 75W that the PCI-E bus can provide. 'Course it's TDP is 69W.

So that's pretty much it, just add it all up and you should have a reasonable idea of how much power you need. My current system for example needs about 350W.

MSI 970 Gaming 35W
                                    AMD FX-8350 125W
                                    Asus HD 7850 108W
                                    G.Skill 8GB DDR3 x2 10W
                                    Crucial 240GB SSD 5W
                                    Seagate HDD 10W
                                    Asus DVD burner 10W
                                    120mm fan x2 4W
                                    120mm fan 4W

Total 311W

A PSU calculator told me that my total draw would be 349W. Pretty close. They were most likely taking into account a keyboard, mouse and the possibility that I had integrated graphics.

That same PSU calculator also recommended a 400W PSU to compensate for capacitor aging. While I'm very well aware that capacitors do age and that results in a decrease in the maximum possible output, I expect that this is factored in by the manufacturer. The rather faulty logic that the end user should factor that in came from those dark days back when poor quality power supplies were the norm. Here and now when Corsair, Seasonic or Antec tell me a PSU is 500W, it's perfectly reasonable to expect it to provide a good, clean and solid 500W for the expected lifespan of the unit.

And now that I've rambled on and on like that, I'll tell you something that shouldn't come as a surprise; your good quality modern power supply shouldn't have more connectors than it has power to provide. So instead of asking ourselves how much power do we need, we should be more concerned with the quality of the PSU and which connectors it has.