6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2015 9:45 AM by chfast

aticonfig needs X running

chfast

I have fglrx dirvers installed and X running. However the X does not use AMD GPU, fglrx driver is not used by X.

aticonfig does not allow me to perform some of the Overdrive commands like --od-getclocks. The error is:

ERROR - X needs to be running to perform AMD Overdrive(TM) commands.

Is there any workaround for that?

• Re: aticonfig needs X running
          bhavik

Hi,

We are running into the similar issue. The only difference is we are trying to run just an adapter query command (aticonfig --lsa) to get the installed GPU information on our Linux machines.

It seems aticonfig binary requires X session else it doesn't work. It will be best to have an alternate version of this utility that can run without X session to be able to query such a basic information.

Please point me to more information if there's already an alternate way to get only the installed GPU and drivers information. For example, what the nvidia-smi does for the NVIDIA GPUs - which can be used in runlevel 3 that doesn't require X session.

Let me know if there's more information required on my part.

Thanks,

Bhavik

chfast

I don't think there is actually a need for the alternative tool. Some of the aticonfig queries work without X running (e.g. --list-adapters, --px-igpu, etc.).

bhavik

Okay, I have tried this again but this time with "sudo" and that seems to be working for "aticonfig --lsa" - for example,

sudo aticonfig --lsa

No protocol specified

* 0. 06:00.0 AMD FirePro W7000 (FireGL V)

* - Default adapter

But as you'd notice it required me to use "sudo" access, which is not feasible for us in this particular case, as we need to run this command from our pipeline scripts for automation.

Also, for more info, if I'd try to run it without "sudo" access it gives this error -

aticonfig --lsa

No protocol specified

aticonfig: This program must be run as root when no X server is active

But, If we do have the X running OR in this particular case - If I have SSH to this machine with X forwarding enabled - the same command is working without "sudo" access

aticonfig --lsa

* - Default adapter

That's exactly what we are looking for - being able to query the GPU and driver information from command-line without "sudo" access as well as without "X" session. Any help on this will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

chfast

I've tried the ssh -X trick suggested, but it does not work for me. I'm getting the same error:

aticonfig --od-getclocks

ERROR - X needs to be running to perform AMD Overdrive(TM) commands.

The X is actually running, but without fglrx driver loaded (intel only).

bhavik

I am on the same page with you as far as "aticonfig --od-getclock" is concerned, however, the "aticonfig --lsa" is working as a non-root (or non-sudo access) with SSH -X

aticonfig --od-getclock

ERROR - X needs to be running to perform AMD Overdrive(TM) commands

aticonfig --lsa

* - Default adapter

I'd suggest if you can test the same and post your findings on this thread w.r.t. "aticonfig --lsa"